I have to have the worst luck in the world... Theres a magnet inside my engine!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take a picture. That will save a lot of words.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by gonzalez0041
That's going to be a tough little bugger....

Last edited by 88racing; 12-29-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:19 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
pic of where its exactly at?

Long neck needle nose pliers?

Where in TX are you? I wouldnt mind coming by and giving it a shot if you're local to me

Old 12-29-2010, 08:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe try a shop vac? The problem I see is that a magnet can attach itself to the cyl wall. It should be lying down against the outboard side of the cyl. Try one of those spring loaded flexible four fingered probes. If you raise the piston it could move the magnet to the top of the bore wall where it will stay and the angle will be more difficult to reach it?

Old 12-29-2010, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by 88racing
That's going to be a tough little bugger....
Especially if it did drop down into the cylinder. It is probably stuck to the cylinder wall, which will make it almost impossible to reach with anything. If he tries with a stronger magnet, for one.. there aren't many that would fit through the plug entrance. Even then, its a risk that he could miss trying to get at it and the stronger magnet ends up stuck as well. I know almost nothing about magnets, is there a way to de-magnetize the magnet electronically?

From what I just read, there is a way electronically but sounds complicated. Apparently you can also demagnetize it by heating it beyond its curie point. Which doesn't sound safe unless you can actually see the magnet. Then it could probably be attempted somehow.

Last edited by Toyz; 12-29-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by DYNOTECH
. If you raise the piston it could move the magnet to the top of the bore wall where it will stay and the angle will be more difficult to reach it?
Probably so...

Old 12-29-2010, 11:39 PM
Your gonna have to make ur own magnet. I say with a nice long screw driver. Magnet love sticking to each other so it should pull away from the cylinder wall easy. You gonna have to touch it with the end of the screw driver, or maybe a thick peace of wire.
Then hit the wire or screw driver with power and pull it out

It will be the strongest with power. With out power its just gonna be a normal magnet, so ur gonna have to find a way to keep power, like a batt charger, dead batt, 6v batt maybe?? You know? like the ones then use at the scrap yard
Here is how to make it
http://www.ehow.com/how_5004980_make...g-magnets.html

hope that help, other wise.....valve job since you got them off.

Last edited by bigdad8214; 12-29-2010 at 11:41 PM. Reason: fix
Old 12-29-2010, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by DYNOTECH
Maybe try a shop vac? The problem I see is that a magnet can attach itself to the cyl wall. It should be lying down against the outboard side of the cyl. Try one of those spring loaded flexible four fingered probes. If you raise the piston it could move the magnet to the top of the bore wall where it will stay and the angle will be more difficult to reach it?
I'd try that first then the electromagnet. Make sure you use good insulated wire on the electromagnet, it is a great idea.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:48 AM
Inside the plug well yea i told you guys wrong sorry. I got some rare earth magnets today they re pretty strong. Im gona put them in a small metal pipe and seal one end with the magnets there of course and try my luck.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If all else fails, is there anyplace you can rent a borescope to tell just where the magnet is located? It should be easier to retrieve if you know where it's at.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:42 AM
Rare earth magnets are the strongest you can get, so if that doesn't pull it off then I don't think any magnet will.

Sticking it in the end of a tube sounds like a good idea, but make sure you epoxy that sucker in place. If the rare earth gets stuck in there too you're probably not gonna be able to un-stick it with anything you can fit in there.

Good luck,

- Erik

Old 12-30-2010, 08:28 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Exactly how much inside the cylinder is magnetic? Magnets will not stick to aluminum.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:08 AM
Might be time to call the mobil mechanic with a borescope

Old 12-30-2010, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
pic of where its exactly at?

Long neck needle nose pliers?

Where in TX are you? I wouldnt mind coming by and giving it a shot if you're local to me
Im in garland texas.
and im gona try those magnets I got this weekend, if that doesnt work im gona try moving the piston up by hand and if I still cant get it then Im going to have my dad help me start taking it apart. any good write ups on how to do that?

Old 12-30-2010, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by bigdad8214
Your gonna have to make ur own magnet. I say with a nice long screw driver. Magnet love sticking to each other so it should pull away from the cylinder wall easy. You gonna have to touch it with the end of the screw driver, or maybe a thick peace of wire.
Then hit the wire or screw driver with power and pull it out

It will be the strongest with power. With out power its just gonna be a normal magnet, so ur gonna have to find a way to keep power, like a batt charger, dead batt, 6v batt maybe?? You know? like the ones then use at the scrap yard
Here is how to make it
http://www.ehow.com/how_5004980_make...g-magnets.html

hope that help, other wise.....valve job since you got them off.
Im gona give this a try too sounds like a really goood idea. If it doesnt stick im atleast hooping in demagnetizes then I can get it out.

Quick Reply: I have to have the worst luck in the world... Theres a magnet inside my engine!!!