I have to have the worst luck in the world... Theres a magnet inside my engine!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Longshot270
Well the thicker wire wont make as many loops around the screwdriver or whatever you choose to use, it will only carry more amps. More loops around = more strength. You also want the loops as close to the end as possible. You are temporarily inducing magnetism so the field gets exponentially weaker the further away you get from the coils. The 12V battery will work but make sure you have a charger, I'd stick with a 6V personally because of the lower voltage. Depending on the wire guage and how long you run it, there will be a drain on the battery. Dont want to get the magnet out only to find you killed the only battery you have and can't get to the store or wherever. Also, a very important thing when you have the magnet going is, obviously, electrical safety. 12V batteries are high amperage, the dangerous end of electricity. The next is dont let that wire get too hot. It WILL heat up but dont let it get so hot it melts the insulation. That could make an even bigger mess than you'r current one. Not to mention those kinds of burns are not fun to patch up...trust me. If you can get ahold of those little wire finger grabbers, try that first. It will be magnetically attracted. If that doesn't work then you try the electromagnet.

I say to use the electromagnet instead of a rare earth metal magnet because what is to keep the other magnet from breaking off? If you put it in a metal tube you weaken the strenght and it probably wont be enough.

What? Ain't ya ever made an electromagnet before? I used to put electro magnets on R/C cars to pick up nails when I was little. Then won my 8th grade science fair with a maglev train.
I can get a hold of some batteries from UPS back ups at work they re 12v pretty small I also got of a claw like tool thats bendable and if you press on it it opens up so ill give that a try as well.

Last edited by gonzalez0041; 12-31-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
so it's not under the lower intake, it's donw inside the head???
yes its inside the head sorry

Old 12-31-2010, 09:57 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Let Patrick have a look at it. Yea, cast Iron blocks don't have aluminum sleeves or liners. I'm pretty sure their ductile, so chances are the magnet is stuck to the cylinder wall. Aluminum liners are after market I believe, not original for the SOHC, - they might be for the DOHC. Anyway, that magnet is on the wall unless it was forced onto the valves.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Get a borescope.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth
Get a borescope.
I would. At least so you can see where it is so your not scratching around in there trying to find it. Then go after it

Old 01-01-2011, 08:22 PM

Auto Zone has that FREE loner program. You have to give them $50 to borrow it. Fully refundable when you bring the tool back.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Well, did you get it out?????

Old 01-02-2011, 11:45 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
if you dont have the intake manifold off already, i would recommend taking it off, its not that much more work to get it off, and you can get alot better shot at the top of the piston then through the spark plug well.

nevermind, that would get you a look at the back of the intake valve. But it would give you less depth to go through in the sparkplug well then going through the intake as well

Last edited by Patman; 01-03-2011 at 12:20 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by 1SCrewloose
You could turn the engine over by hand very carefully just enough to bring the piston up so the magnet is closer to the spark plug hole. Just do not rotate it to far and break it into more smaller pieces.

Good luck!
This sounds like the 1st thing I would try.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:21 AM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
if you dont have the intake manifold off already, i would recommend taking it off, its not that much more work to get it off, and you can get alot better shot at the top of the piston then through the spark plug well.

nevermind, that would get you a look at the back of the intake valve. But it would give you less depth to go through in the sparkplug well then going through the intake as well
Did you ever get a chance to help him out?
If not I work in Garland

shamrick@fastenal.com

Old 01-03-2011, 01:50 AM
Originally Posted by HamboneFX4
This sounds like the 1st thing I would try.
And if the magnet is stuck to the cylinder wall, which it most likely is, that would push it up against the bottom of the cylinder head to the point you would almost never get at it. The further down it is, the easier it will be to reach. Whatever tool you are using, even if flexible or able to bend to shape, would be almost impossible to bend it at a 90 to reach it if it is at that point. I wouldn't

Old 01-03-2011, 02:11 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
And if the magnet is stuck to the cylinder wall, which it most likely is, that would push it up against the bottom of the cylinder head to the point you would almost never get at it. The further down it is, the easier it will be to reach. Whatever tool you are using, even if flexible or able to bend to shape, would be almost impossible to bend it at a 90 to reach it if it is at that point. I wouldn't
I agree, you want it as low as possible so you can pick at it.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:55 AM

Dang, we need an update

Old 01-03-2011, 12:34 PM
No luck so far i still havent tried the borescope or the electromagnet. Im thinking of just takin it to a mechanic. I dont wana damage or scratch anything. But i will give the electromagnet a try I jus haven found a thin enough and long enough piece of iron

Old 01-03-2011, 12:43 PM

Like Patrick mentioned, with the manifold off, there's more room. It might be enough to make a difference. I would still inquire about the scope at Auto Zone, since it would be a free loner.

Manifold removed -

Quick Reply: I have to have the worst luck in the world... Theres a magnet inside my engine!!!