02 5.4L water coming out of right tailpipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 5.4L water coming out of right tailpipe

I have a 02 supercrew FX4, just got it a couple weeks ago, has 171000miles on it, runs smooth , no smoke! It has true duals on it, I noticed after I had the new exhaust put on , the right pipe has a little moisture blowing out of it and it makes a fluttering sound. Its not fuel and I dont think its anything to do with the cooling system., what do you think?

Old 10-28-2008, 10:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
When you burn gas you produce water. Every truck has this problem. The solution is to drive far enough to heat up the exhaust and the water evaporates.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:59 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Water is a normal combustion product. If the exhaust temperature is not hot enough to vaporize it, it will drip.

So why is the right bank running cooler than the left? Haven't a clue. :o

Does this symptom go away after the engine is warm? If so, I would not worry about it at all. Cold engines in cold climates drip or blow steam until they warm up.

- Jack

Old 10-28-2008, 11:03 PM
Global Moderator &

Ah, Greencrew, you were just too fast!

But, now that I look at it, he's not really in a cold climate, is he? We don't see this in Tucson unless the temperature is close to freezing - and yes, it gets down to that where I live.

- Jack

Last edited by JackandJanet; 10-28-2008 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Added thought about outside temperature
Old 10-28-2008, 11:10 PM
I did notice that even at normal running temp. the right pipe still has the wierd fluttering noise.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Normal. Unless the exhaust smells like antifreeze..

Old 10-28-2008, 11:26 PM
sounds good to me!

Old 10-28-2008, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Ah, Greencrew, you were just too fast!

But, now that I look at it, he's not really in a cold climate, is he? We don't see this in Tucson unless the temperature is close to freezing - and yes, it gets down to that where I live.

- Jack
I suppose we were typing at the same time.

I saw your location and I was going to ask how it is you know what exhaust looks like on a cold day, but now I remember you get some cold nights. We get some serious white exhaust here when the temp dips below zero. It's sort of cool looking.

Last edited by greencrew; 10-28-2008 at 11:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-28-2008, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by FX4construction
I did notice that even at normal running temp. the right pipe still has the wierd fluttering noise.
I believe I've heard that sound before. I would say your heating twice as many pipes with the same amount of heat and they run a little cooler.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:03 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by greencrew
I suppose we were typing at the same time.

I saw your location and I was going to ask how it is you know what exhaust looks like on a cold day, but now I remember you get some cold nights. We get some serious white exhaust here when the temp dips below zero. It's sort of cool looking.
Where I live, next to a wash that comes down from the Catalina mountains, we usually get 60 or more nights below freezing every year. The low is about 15 degrees. (We've been below freezing already - twice). Then, we have to deal with 110 degrees at times in the summer!

I see the white exhaust here too, even if it's not below zero.

But, these huge swings in temperature makes it hard to find plants that can survive in the yard!

- Jack

Old 10-29-2008, 12:46 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Where I live, next to a wash that comes down from the Catalina mountains, we usually get 60 or more nights below freezing every year. The low is about 15 degrees. (We've been below freezing already - twice). Then, we have to deal with 110 degrees at times in the summer!

But, these huge swings in temperature makes it hard to find plants that can survive in the yard!

- Jack
I live in Salt Lake City. I guess we get about 100-150 days wher the temp is below freezing. here a couple years ago we had a 35 day strech where the temp never got above 32. Inversion to. Nasty here. Steam is normal unless it stinks like antifreeze..

Old 10-29-2008, 09:08 PM

- Jack
I spent a week one July just south of Tuson. I did see 114 degrees a few days. That is painful. When I was in Scottsdale one cold winter day it snowed. They said it had not snowed there for 27 years.

Quick Reply: 02 5.4L water coming out of right tailpipe