1997 F150 justs click when key is turned

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 F150 justs click when key is turned

Battery is good. Happened when we had a cold spell and I was cranking engine trying to get it to start. Probably overdid it and kept cranking too long. Engine stopped turning over and just 1 loud click when key is applied to start engine. Click is from the relay just left of megafuses on firewall. Could it be the starter overheated and croaked or maybe the positive wire to it? Check engine light stay on so does battery. don't know if they always did until truck started or not? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 01-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 1wahoo
Battery is good. Happened when we had a cold spell and I was cranking engine trying to get it to start. Probably overdid it and kept cranking too long. Engine stopped turning over and just 1 loud click when key is applied to start engine. Click is from the relay just left of megafuses on firewall. Could it be the starter overheated and croaked or maybe the positive wire to it? Check engine light stay on so does battery. don't know if they always did until truck started or not? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

If it doesn't start in 5 seconds of cranking - it's not going to. The PCM shuts down the injectors to protect the cats.

These trucks should fire right up to -40F.. Your IAC is prolly stuck , It could be the battery regardless. - Yes you could have fried the solenoid. Could be just a corroded wire..

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=316960

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/faultfinds.htm

Old 01-26-2008, 09:11 PM
1997 f150 won't crank over-BATTERY IS GOOD

Thanks
Turn the key on-I get just one click, engine never even turns. Happened when tried starting on very cold day, I guess I croaked something by cranking too long. Battery is GOOD! Methinks starter took a dive. Any more ideas before I crawl under and pull starter.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The positive cable at the solenoid and the shunt between the starter and solenoid are very prone to corrosion at the starter. In fact I just changed one on my neighbors truck today in the snow because his shunt had corroded through. Same symptoms as yours.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:30 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question

What engine do you have?

Old 01-26-2008, 10:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Connections solenoid starter in that order,. Check the connections make sure they are clean and tight. then its the solenoid is 10 bucks for the cheap one at autozone. Next starter..

Old 01-27-2008, 01:14 AM
Had same problem replaced ground cable truck starts fine now

Old 01-27-2008, 10:51 AM
1997 f150 won't crank over-BATTERY IS GOOD

Turn the key on-I get just one click, engine never even turns. Happened when tried starting on very cold day, I guess I croaked something by cranking too long. Battery is GOOD! Methinks starter took a dive. Any more ideas before I crawl under and pull starter.

Connections solenoid starter in that order sounds like a plan- thanks

Quick Reply: 1997 F150 justs click when key is turned