Just died...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 08:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just died...

My 2004 F150 has been running fine, went outside to go to work this morning and it started fine, I put it in reverse, backed up a lil, put it back in first and it chugged almost like I didn't give it enough gas (it's a manual transmission) and then died. Now it wont start at all. The engine turns over, but just wont fire up. I am thinking the fuel pump or the ECM, but was wondering if you guys had any other ideas.

Thanks

Old 04-22-2010, 09:27 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by K.Fabian
My 2004 F150 has been running fine, went outside to go to work this morning and it started fine, I put it in reverse, backed up a lil, put it back in first and it chugged almost like I didn't give it enough gas (it's a manual transmission) and then died. Now it wont start at all. The engine turns over, but just wont fire up. I am thinking the fuel pump or the ECM, but was wondering if you guys had any other ideas.

Thanks
turn the key on and listen for the fuel pump to kick on.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:42 AM
Check the inertia switch- I think the standard location is passenger side kick panel. Also check the fuel pump relay- under the hood. If you have the tow package you can switch relays.
Both checks are much cheaper and eaeier than changing the fuel pump just cuz!
And yes do listen for the pump to run as mentioned earlier.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
You don't show where you live. If it is in an area where there is lots of corrosion or rust, you might want to read this:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...placement.html

Old 04-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just so you guys know, in case you didnt, i think he is talking about an f150 heritage (97-03 style). in 04 i am almost positive you couldnt get a V6 or a manual in a NBS until 05. all V6s and all manuals had to be a heritage. but they offered the V8s in both types.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I would say check these in order:

1. Turn key to "Run" and listen for the fuel pump. Usually there is a slight squeak from the pressure.
2. Check the Inertia Switch.
3. Check THEFT indicator on cluster. Does it flash when you turn the key to "Run"?
4. Check the Fuel Pump Relay. If in doubt replace it.
5. Check all plugs and plug wires.
6. Check fuel filter. Test for water and correct fuel. Ensure there is plenty of fuel.
7. Check ECU by pressing and holding the ODO RESET button on cluster while turning key to "Run" and see if it can do the self-test and such. If it displays stuff, more than likely your ECU is still functioning normally.
8. Check for any ground wires disconnected or corroded in the engine bay.
9. Change fuel pump.
10. Change/Reprogram ECU.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
check for the fuel pump to pressurize the fuel rails by turning the key on. if this is okay, im willing to bet your camshaft position sensor has gone out. mine did that as well. driving one minute, and just shuts down (luckily mine stalled RIGHT in front of a Ford dealership)

Old 04-24-2010, 10:30 AM
Just a few things... I'm a She and its a 04 heritage with a manual... yep its possible. I want to thank everyone for all the help, we are still working on getting things checked as out here in northeastern colorado, we've been in the middle typhoon it seems like. There have been maybe 5 minutes in the last two days that it wasnt down pouring rain.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by timmypstyle
just so you guys know, in case you didnt, i think he is talking about an f150 heritage (97-03 style). in 04 i am almost positive you couldnt get a V6 or a manual in a NBS until 05. all V6s and all manuals had to be a heritage. but they offered the V8s in both types.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:56 AM
Okay guys and quite possibly gals, I got the truck started, it was a blown fuse, but now I need some more help. The next day I blew the same fuse after I replaced the fuse it has been fine since. So my question is could there be a short from the fuel pump to the fuse box? Does anyone happen to have a wiring diagram for the fuel pump, so I can follow the wires and see if there happens to be a frayed or exposed wire?

Thanks again
Krystal

Old 04-27-2010, 01:15 AM
Change the fuel filter-excessive back pressure from a plugged up filter might be making the pump work too hard.
Need some body to verify or call b/s on this one, it's just my guess.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:49 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Which fuse was blown?

Old 05-03-2010, 02:01 PM
It was the fuel pump fuse that kept blowing. Changed the fuel filter first thing Friday morning and haven't had any troubles since (knock on wood). Thanks everyone for your help and input!

Old 05-03-2010, 08:51 PM
congratulation and fingers crossed!

Quick Reply: Just died...