Trans or Torque problems ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans or Torque problems ?

Was driving up a 12% grade was cruising at 50mph and near the top the truck all of a sudden started to shake or vibrate, after topping the hill I let it coast down the other side . It coasted just smooth as silk at the bottom when I engaged the motor the vibration started up again. So what am I looking at trans or torque converting?

Old 03-22-2019, 04:50 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Please post the year, model, and engine of this vehicle. We can't see it through the Internet. How many miles on it and how long since the last spark plug change? Did the check engine light come on?

I would suspect misfiring before I would the transmission.

Old 03-22-2019, 05:35 PM
2000 F150 5.4 All new plugs, coils, injectors no engine light no codes and passed a missfire test on scanner. 0 missfires on all 8 cylinders . not an engine problem.

Old 03-22-2019, 07:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
You may need to get it checked out with an advanced scanner to see if there are any transmission codes.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:48 PM
Not possible there is no close scanners by the time you tow it over 200 miles pay for the scan its cheaper to put in a new transmission..

Old 03-25-2019, 10:56 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
A new transmission may not fix it. The problem could be outside of the transmission.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:52 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I agree with GLC and Mark. I build these transmissions daily. Literally 100% of the time when there has been a shudder and the transmission and torque converter was replaced against my advice. to correct the problem it hasn't been the problem.

These things don't shudder as a rule. There were some issues in the mid to late 90's but it's just not really a thing anymore.

D

Old 04-01-2019, 09:09 PM
Everything else has been tested and came up good not much else left.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:39 PM
That's what I'm told literally every time. Not once has the misfire shown up on any scanner or log. Yet it's always a misfire.

None of us are trying to force you into anything or sell you anything. You can obviously feel free to spend whatever money you feel necessary replacing whatever you feel needs replacing. We're just trying to give you free help based on decades of experience in exactly these specific things.

D

Old 04-01-2019, 09:42 PM
You have to ask yourself. Why hasn't the computer thrown a transmission code?

I know the answer

D

Old 04-02-2019, 07:08 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Darrin Burch
I know the answer
Oh! Oh! I know the answer, too!

Old 04-02-2019, 08:32 PM
Wouldnt know if it has codes for trans my reader doesnt read them.Would cost over $700 to have it read.

Tests so far
No stored codes or pending codes
Engine test live data for missfire with 0% tolerance at 1000,2000,3000 RPM passed all 8 cylinders
checked all motor mounts, all bolt on accessories Tested engine for vibration up to 3000 RPM no abnormal noise or vibration
plugs ,coils,fuel injectors,MAF sensor are all new
checked all wheel bearings for play or noise all passed
Checked all tie rods and ball joints all tight
checked trans mount all solid
front axle cv joints no vibration or noise
Drive shaft front and back spin tested for balance passed
Ujoints all solid
rear axle tested for noise or vibration passed
all cab and bed mounts checked all tight
tires checked for bulges or broken belts found none
4x4 transfer case checked for noise or vibration
The trans has 140,000 miles on it and since I found 3 different wire hook ups for trailers I would guess the previous owner used it a lot for towing.
If anyone has any other ideas Im all ears

Old 04-15-2019, 04:52 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Darrin Burch
You have to ask yourself. Why hasn't the computer thrown a transmission code?

I know the answer

D
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Oh! Oh! I know the answer, too!
Is it because he should be driving a Prius?

Originally Posted by mudpup
Wouldnt know if it has codes for trans my reader doesnt read them.Would cost over $700 to have it read.
So if you don't have $700, how are you paying to replace the transmission?

$700 is way too much to have someone read codes. Find a better mechanic who won't t rape your wallet. Or invest in your own equipment.

My truck was shaking, and the ride was bumpy, at all speeds. I thought the transmission was worn, and that it was doing that because it was not shifting and engaging correctly.

My mechanic visually examined the truck on the rack, and found nothing wrong. Then she hooked up a laptop, went for a test drive, and analyzed the datalog. Sporadic misfire in one cylinder.

New spark plugs, wires, and coil fixed it right up. Plugs looked terrible. There could also have been microscopic cracks in the wire set or ignition coil, causing arc faults. I don't need to question whether I could have just changed the plugs. The wire was off, why not plug in a new wire? I was not going to plug a new wire, onto an old ignition coil. 3 screws and a new coil was on.

Note that there was no check engine light, or stored or pending codes. We got the problem before it got worst. But it was not the transmission.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:57 PM
So if you don't have $700, how are you paying to replace the transmission?

$700 is way too much to have someone read codes. Find a better mechanic who won't t rape your wallet. Or invest in your own equipment.

My mechanic visually examined the truck on the rack, and found nothing wrong. Then she hooked up a laptop, went for a test drive, and analyzed the datalog. Sporadic misfire in one cylinder.

.The $700 is because the truck would have to be towed over 100 miles dropped off and then a second trip to be towed home
The same test your mechanic done has already been done truck passed 0 misfires all 8 cylinders. also I didnt say I dont have the 700 I said it would be cheaper to replace the transmission.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:45 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Has the OD OFF light ever flashed? If so, there will be transmission codes until the PCM is cleared or the battery is disconnected.

You can read them yourself for about 30 bucks. You need a OBD2 Bluetooth or Wifi adapter, Torque Pro with the Enhanced PIDs pack for your vehicle, and a smartphone.

Bluetooth for Android or Windows:
Amazon Amazon

Wifi for Apple:
Amazon Amazon

https://torque-bhp.com/

Search your app store for Torque Pro, it's $4.95. Free Torque Light won't do transmission codes.

For 60 bucks you can get a capable handheld scanner:
Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: Trans or Torque problems ?