Old 04-13-2015, 02:27 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Grinding Noise on 2004 F150 4x4

Some describe it as a blender with ice, other a grinding noise. Whatever it is, it’s annoying and can be harmful to your truck. Find out what other did to solve the issue and what caused it.

Helpful Advice

Read full discussion for further information
Print Wikipost

Intermitent Grinding Noise on 2004 F150 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2005 F-150. The grinding noise started for me too but usually when I start going up a hill or someplace where it requires to shift. It goes away sometimes but every few miles, it happens again but for a short time. Then, I hadn't driven my truck in about 3 weeks. The grinding noise was really really bad and it lasted a long time. After I drove for 45 minutes, it went away. Then driving back, it came back but like it did the first time. Like i'm driving over the rumbling strips at the shoulder of the road. What could this be? Please don't tell me it's my trans. It's a 4x4 with over 200,000 miles on it. Was driving really nice. Almost like a new truck. Note: I have no problems other than the grinding noise on the shifting.

Last edited by 4SHELBY; 11-15-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:35 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Old 12-17-2012, 03:33 PM
I have almost 185K on my tranny. 5.4 lariat. I have changed the fluid more than regular serv as I have towed a lot. I am gettign the metallic/shimmering (for lack of a better term) noise when shifting from 2nd to 3rd as well as some shuddering. It sounds like the engine is dieseling at times.
I checked the fluid and it's at reg level and clean as a whistle. Does this sound like the IWE solenoid or vacuum problem or maybe the thing is on the way out? I just paid it off so it makes send that something would go!

I did have a new rear end put in a few months ago and it whirrs/moans when coasting, which it never used to with the old one. I think the dealer might not have used the same replacement gears. Would this contribute to any tranny issues?

I should add that I rarely use 4WD

-Chris

Old 03-29-2013, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by zx12-iowa
My truck is doing this too. I searched TSBs and couldn't find it. Anyone know the TSB# or have a link? Thanks.
The TSB# is 06-8-15, i got a ford mechanic i work with(in a mine) to search this problem and if your 4x4 light is not working it is most likely that tsb.

I just had this happen to my 06 f150 while driving home, i thought it was a rock or something stuck so i said heh it will fall out as a slowed down to approx 30-20km/h a thump happened and then went away. (engaged into 4x4) i suggest to drive in 4x4 until you get the issue resolved. This was NOT a recall/silent recall by ford, and is only covered if still under warrenty.

Hope this helps

Old 04-02-2013, 07:20 PM
this has been happening to me also.

i'm taking it to the dealer first thing in the morning as i have an extended warrentee still active.

wish me luck.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:51 AM
they replaced the solenoid and it's been running fine for about a week so far.

has anyone figured a way to maybe avoid water getting to the solenoid so it won't happen again?

Old 05-02-2013, 09:16 PM
4X4 Grinding

I changed the brakes on my 04 F150 and now it grinds. when i put it in 4l or 4 h it quits why is this doing it?Please help please

Old 05-03-2013, 05:27 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Originally Posted by lampley6
I changed the brakes on my 04 F150 and now it grinds. when i put it in 4l or 4 h it quits why is this doing it?Please help please
https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...then-some.html

Old 08-13-2013, 12:59 PM
I have been following this post for awhile and experiencing same things,, i changed the solenoid switch ,still nothing ,,, going to check vacuum leaks to hubs next ,but noticed today battery light comes on ,changed battery ,, now got on highway and did grinding noise and noticed the charge gauge shoots up to the high level ,, what is up with that... any ideas...

Old 08-31-2013, 12:10 AM
I am having a similar issue with a later model F150. My 2010 is making this noise every couple of days. Seems to have started after I had new tires put on. Not sure if I should go to the tire store or my dealer. Warranty is no longer valid.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:49 PM
Thanks!

Guys -

I just wanted to say a big THANKS for this thread. Just bought a used 2006 F150 on Friday and Saturday morning I drove it with the windows open and hear "the noise". The previous descriptions in this thread nailed it and made it really easy to diagnose. They're ordering the solenoid today and hopefully that's the end of the story.

I don't know how long this has been going on though - what other damage may have resulted from this problem?

Old 09-30-2013, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by sorebikr
Guys -

I just wanted to say a big THANKS for this thread. Just bought a used 2006 F150 on Friday and Saturday morning I drove it with the windows open and hear "the noise". The previous descriptions in this thread nailed it and made it really easy to diagnose. They're ordering the solenoid today and hopefully that's the end of the story.

I don't know how long this has been going on though - what other damage may have resulted from this problem?
IWE's that have been intermittantly trying to engage while at speed can cause a lot of damage to the front hubs. Kind of like sticking your fingers into a fan thats running. When this first happened to me, I immediately pulled to the side of the road. Luckily I was about 1 mile from home. I limped it in and parked the truck till I found the answer on this forum (Thanks Guys!)

Again I was amazed at the idiotic design that placed the IWE solenoid right where all the rain water dumps on it. Fixed that with a piece of EPDM Peel and stick flashing.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the response. 1 solenoid and 1 actuator later and it seems to be running fine.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:10 AM
I thought I was going nuts...

Driving home from work the other night I heard a noise that sounded like I had run over a metal fence post and it was dragging beneath my 2005 F150 4X4 Super Crew with about 160,000 miles. It scared me and I pulled over in an empty parking lot and got out, looked up the street to see what I hit. I saw nothing so I procured a flashlight and crawled beneath the truck to see what was amiss. Once again, NOTHING! About three days later, it did it several times (always around 30 MPH) but I then noticed that it was a metallic sound, like gears trying unsucessfully to mesh, but would quit when I braked to under 10 MPH. I checked this forum and found about the problems others were having with the IWE vacuum solenoid. Saturday, I went to my dealership here in town and the parts department was closed so I drove to the AutoZone store. They had the replacement I needed with a lifetime limited warranty for roughly $30 (plus 10% discount if you have a valid military or retired military ID) so after taxes and discount, I paid $29 + change. My original part number was E8AE-9H465-BA and the replacement part I purchaced at AutoZone was a Dorman 600-400. The Dorman part was mounted on a bracket which included the rain shield and since, I have driven the truck about 190 miles on highway and city streets and have yet to have the problem occur again. I am hoping this has fixed it once and for all.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by DReadeno
Driving home from work the other night I heard a noise that sounded like I had run over a metal fence post and it was dragging beneath my 2005 F150 4X4 Super Crew with about 160,000 miles. It scared me and I pulled over in an empty parking lot and got out, looked up the street to see what I hit. I saw nothing so I procured a flashlight and crawled beneath the truck to see what was amiss. Once again, NOTHING! About three days later, it did it several times (always around 30 MPH) but I then noticed that it was a metallic sound, like gears trying unsucessfully to mesh, but would quit when I braked to under 10 MPH. I checked this forum and found about the problems others were having with the IWE vacuum solenoid. Saturday, I went to my dealership here in town and the parts department was closed so I drove to the AutoZone store. They had the replacement I needed with a lifetime limited warranty for roughly $30 (plus 10% discount if you have a valid military or retired military ID) so after taxes and discount, I paid $29 + change. My original part number was E8AE-9H465-BA and the replacement part I purchaced at AutoZone was a Dorman 600-400. The Dorman part was mounted on a bracket which included the rain shield and since, I have driven the truck about 190 miles on highway and city streets and have yet to have the problem occur again. I am hoping this has fixed it once and for all.
Yeah, what you did fixed it. I did the same thing but I also added a piece of peel and stick EPDM roofing material to serve as a skirt to direct the water which comes down into the engine well from the windshield over the electronics that exist there (Which includes the computer) The design here is really stupid, but you don't think of that when you are buying a truck, its one of those (WTF would they have done that) deals. It sounds like yours was making the same kind of noise that mine made, and frankly, it scared the crap out of me. Some people who post here said that they drove around with it like this, and I don't know how they did it.

Quick Reply: Intermitent Grinding Noise on 2004 F150 4x4