F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Transmissions (https://www.f150online.com/forums/transmissions-25/)
-   -   Intermitent Grinding Noise on 2004 F150 4x4 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/transmissions/218270-intermitent-grinding-noise-2004-f150-4x4.html)

Steve Ryan 11-15-2005 03:36 PM

Intermitent Grinding Noise on 2004 F150 4x4

Intermitent Grinding Noise on 2004 F150 4x4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Help!

I have a 2004 f150 4x4 Supercrew w/ 5.4 . It has started making a loud metallic grinding, bumping noise. My wife says it sounds like a blender with ice - under the front floorboards. The noise seems to be coming from the transmission or the 4x4 transfer case.

I can go for 2 or 3 days without this occuring, then it might happen 2 or 3 times in one day. I have taken it back to the dealer three times with no solution. They tell me bring it back when it is making the noise. Sometimes it starts when I'm going slow - sometimes fast (interstate driving). Once the grinding noise starts the only way to stop it is to come to a complete stop - right before you completely stop - you will hear a loud "clunk" and then the grinding noise stops. It almost sounds likes something is trying to engage - hence the grinding sound.

The only problem is that it is intermitant. Any ideas?

Steve

fasterhorses 11-16-2005 05:11 AM

Hello Steve,
I'm assuming the dealer checked all the vacuum lines and solenoid so you need to do a few experiments. You have shift to 4x4 on the fly so go slow and shift in and out of 4hi (when it's not grinding on its own) and see what happens. Then do it after it starts grinding on its own. Pop it into neutral when it starts grinding. Try 4lo in and out. You might be able to determine if it's the tranny or transfer case. If the drivetrain is still under warranty I would find a big dirt area put it in 4x4 and drive circles, figure 8's, fast and slow till the grinding was real noticeable then return to the dealer for diagnosis :beers:

Steve Ryan 11-16-2005 12:54 PM

4x4

thanks - i received several responses in different areas of the web site. everything points to the vacuum and IWE SOlenoid. i'm going to the dealer tomorrow. i'm not sure what they checked in the past - but now i can ask them to specifically check/replace these items.

Sarnan 11-21-2005 08:50 PM

Steve - My 04 FX4 5.4 L wth 12K miles just started making the same noise this weekend. "Blender with ice", is a perfect description. I initially thought something was dragging on the pavement. Happened 4 times at about 30 MPG, 2wd, driving straight. It's at the dealer now. These posts may help if they tell me they can't find a problem. Let me know how you make out at your dealer and I'll do the same.

Sarnan 11-24-2005 07:59 AM

Of course the probem did not happen for the 2 days it was at the dealer. Driving home at 65 mhp, it happened again. Any thoughts ??

okiegrl 05-02-2006 10:52 AM

Same Problem, No Resolve

STEVE,

WE ARE ALSO EXPERIENCING THE SAME PROBLEM, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO GET IT TO THE DEALERSHIP WITHOUT CAUSING THE NOISE TO STOP, THE MINUTE YOU PUT THE BRAKES ON IT WILL RELEASE WHATEVER IS CAUSING THE PROBLEM. TRY AS IT STARTS TO SWITCH FROM 2W TO 4WH ON THE DASH AND IT WILL STOP IMMEDIATELY ALSO. SPURATIC NEVER DOES IT FOR THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT.
WORST PART IS OUR 2004 F-150 FX4 4X4 HAS APPROX. 85,OOO MILES ALREADY HIGHWAY MILES WE COMMUTE TO WORK, BUT NOW WE HAVE IT AT THE DEALERS BECAUSE THE OIL GAUGE PEGGED OUT AT ZERO AS WERE ACCELERATING TO GET ON THE INTERSTATE AND NOW SOUNDS LIKE A DIESEL AND WON'T STAY RUNNING, I'M AFRAID THAT WHATEVER HAS BEEN GOING ON WITH THE TRUCK THE NOISE AND ALL MAY HAVE CAUSED A STRAIN ON THE ENGINE BECAUSE IT ALWAYS FELT LIKE WE WERE DRAGGING DOWN THE HIGHWAY WITH IT ALL THE TIME.
WE DID NOT TAKE IT BACK TO THE DEALER WE PURCHASED IT FROM HAD ENOUGH OF THAT PLACE BUT HOPEFULLY WE FOUND A SERVICE DEPT. WILLING TO LISTEN TO OUR CONCERNS.

BEST OF LUCK, I'M NOT SURE I WILL STAY A TRUE FORD FAN AFTER THIS WE'LL SEE.

OKIE_GRL:mad:

splash 07-23-2006 02:40 PM

Has anyone gotten to the bottom of this?
I recently started to have this problem and my dealer said it is caused by water getting into the 4WD solenoid which is located near the top of the engine compartment on the passenger side. Apparently, water gets into the solenoid and shorts it out and the truck trys to shift into 4WD while at highway speed.
The dealer put a little cover over the solenoid and the problem seems to be cured, although it was intermittant before so it could happen again I suppose.
I'm curious if anyone else has succesfully cured this problem.

Bill

adrianspeeder 07-23-2006 03:18 PM

If it was my truck I'd change the transfer case fluid first and see if there is metal floating around. Pretty simple job with a suction gun.

Adrianspeeder

ViperFX4x4 07-26-2006 03:15 PM

Splash can you take a picture of the covered solenoid and post it here??? I would like to see what it looks like so I can fab one up for myself.

rj1118 07-31-2006 09:22 PM

Ice in a blender!!

I have a 2005 supercrew 4X4 with 7500mi. I have experienced the same noise. It happens at all different speeds and disappears on its own. I have found a common link that stops the noise in its tracks. When I hear it I put it in 4x4 hi and the noise stops every time. I have left it 4hi and have not heard the noise again. I am taking it to the dealer in the AM and will let you know how I make out.

rj1118 08-02-2006 09:00 PM

All fixed..I think

Ford dealer replaced the IWE solenoid. They also claim to have checked the transfer case fluid for metal shavings and did not find any, although I cant see how based on the noises it was making. There is a TSB concerning this issue.

dmac5356 08-05-2006 05:45 PM

I had the exact same problem in my 2005 with only 8,000 miles. Grinding noise from the front. A slight let-off on the throttle seemed to help initiate it. Can temporarily eliminate the noise by shifting into 4HI, then back to 2WD. Problem was a bad vacume hose to the front axle. It was trying to engage the front hubs while in 2WD. The grinding causes collateral damage in the front hubs. All fixed under warranty.

Capef150 08-15-2006 12:49 PM

Collateral Damage

I've been having the same problem with my F150. Were the hubs found to be damaged, or were they replaced because the TSB recommended they be replaced?

zx12-iowa 08-31-2006 10:51 PM

My truck is doing this too. I searched TSBs and couldn't find it. Anyone know the TSB# or have a link? Thanks.:confused:

Josiah 08-31-2006 11:59 PM

If your truck is trying to engage the hubs while in 2wd, your fuse is out. I can get the fuse number but it's called the 4wd Solenoid. There is no vacuum to the front hubs to keep them disengaged. Mine grounds out after about a day so it's useless to keep replacing the fuse. If your problems are similar to dmac's put your truck in gear, apply the parking brake a little so it's not idling faster than 3-4 mph and look underneath while the truck is driving, if the driveshaft in front is slowly spinning your fuse is more than likely blown. I have been through my vacuum lines a million times and it turned out to be this damn fuse. I learned a ton about the vacuum system however, so I have a little gratitude.