Old 04-13-2015, 02:27 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Grinding Noise on 2004 F150 4x4

Some describe it as a blender with ice, other a grinding noise. Whatever it is, it’s annoying and can be harmful to your truck. Find out what other did to solve the issue and what caused it.

Helpful Advice

Read full discussion for further information
Print Wikipost

Intermitent Grinding Noise on 2004 F150 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by judibug
Hi....I have this problem with grinding noise...Dealer can't find the problem. And he is
2 hours away no less! Did you come to some resolution...If so, what fixed the problem.
My truck is a F-150 2006 with ONLY 23,000 miles on it.
Thanks.
Lloyd
Hey there Lloyd...

The problem that I had was the same... a vacuum seal on the 4 wheel drive hub was gone; replaced it, and problem was gone. The newer Fords have reversed the vacuum process in the four wheel drive system; before, the vacuum was applied in 4x4, so when it leaked the noise was only heard in 4wd, but not in 2wd. Now the process is reversed, and if switched in 4wd, the sound will dissappear. In the meantime, your truck wants some attention, so give it some, before anymore damage is done to the 4wd system. Hope this helps.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:30 AM
2005 f150 intermittent grinding/scraping from left front side

Just started having this problem a few weeks ago. when I select 4wh, the problem goes away for a while. Its never happened above 30mph, but I'm concerned about serious damage if it were to happen a75mph.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:11 PM
It happened to my 05 Screw with 62K miles
Left it at the dealer,will find out tomorrow
Thanks

Old 12-16-2009, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Sarnan
Steve - My 04 FX4 5.4 L wth 12K miles just started making the same noise this weekend. "Blender with ice", is a perfect description. I initially thought something was dragging on the pavement. Happened 4 times at about 30 MPG, 2wd, driving straight. It's at the dealer now. These posts may help if they tell me they can't find a problem. Let me know how you make out at your dealer and I'll do the same.
My 05 made the same noise for the first time 2-3 weeks ago, scared the crap out of me I thought I had ran over something.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:56 AM
After reading the ALL posts pertaining to this noise, I would like to know a couple of things.

Did the dealer fix the problem if truck is out of warranty?
Did the dealer replace parts associated with this problem ie: wheel bearings if damaged?
Did anyone damage other parts due to this problem?

Thanks

Old 12-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Got my truck back on Wed after the dealer replaced some vacuum by the passenger side hub.
Now is Saturday and the noise is back???

Old 12-25-2009, 12:39 AM
Anyone have an update on your experience with this problem, mine did this again tonight (2nd time) leaving Christmas with the family. Thinking about taking it to the dealer to see if they can find out what the deal is. The first time it happened was 9-10 months after buying it, now 1-2 months later it did it the 2nd time, and didn't last long. It felt like stuff was flying up and hitting the underside of the drivers floorboard.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:45 AM
I agree I think this may be my problem as well.....where exactly is it....any pictures? Difficulty of replacing it? etc....please

Old 12-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Hey all - My dealer fixed the problem and it was the solenoid issue mentioned in other posts. Luckily the truck was still under warranty at the time. The issue hasn't happened again since the fix - which was months ago. I actually brought in print outs of these posts but they threatened that they couldn't fix it if they couldn't replicate it. Since it was a rainy day - which seems to contribute to the issue - they claim they were able to replicate it. Either that or they didn't want me crying in their service center again. LOL!

I could swear they switched something around on my 4WD shifter now though. When you switch into what says 4WD Low (towards you) - the dash lights up 4WD High.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:33 PM
So I brought my truck in (still under warranty) to ford last Saturday, after dealing with this grinding for a few weeks but it’s intermittent at best. After they had it 4 hours they called and told me they couldn’t duplicate it, I wasn’t happy because I had already done some reading on here that there’s a TSB about this for the earlier 04s and 05s. I told them to keep trying and they were able to duplicate it, that being said I brought it back in on the next Tuesday for the repair. Supposedly they replaced both front hubs and everything test ok, but I hadn’t driven 40 miles and sound came back… so I brought it back in today… to my surprise they have to re-duplicate the issue before they will even fix it/look at it and of course they couldn’t after having it 4 hours today… so they told me they are done looking at it basically S.O.L. What should be my next step??
Do I write\call corporate, after gathering as much detail as I can? Or do I just keep driving it… will it ever become constant? Or my final option is just to replace the parts myself, which is fine but really has me irritated because I have warranty and thought that’s what its for…

Old 12-30-2009, 06:49 PM
That's B.S. I would find another dealer, call them first to see if they are aware of the problem before dealing with the idiots, hope you get it all worked out.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:20 PM
I'd tell them to go f'ed themselves, find another good dealer, order the IWE Solenoid part and hope that works, if not check your vacuum lines, could be punctured or loose......obviously they are clueless...I had a few parts guys not know what the hell I was talking about when I mentioned the above said part....finally found a dealer who knew what I meant and was local and went ahead and bought it Installed it and i'll let you all know if it goes away.

Aside from that I seem to have another drivetrain issue that is LOUDER than my 14" Dual Magnaflows! Only works when I'm moving and goes along with the mellow of the truck....I'm puzzled and won't be able to get it to Ford til mid next week....minus the fact that I have a new Mustang sitting at home with frozen ebrake cables (since ford never replaced both of them 2 years ago when it happened and since mine is an 05 I'm probably S.O.L and have to pay for it out of pocket)

Old 12-31-2009, 03:21 PM
The dealership knows about the TSB on the 04s and 05s, and had parts on hand so I assume it's not because of their lack of knowledge that I am hitting a road block but by the sounds of what I've been told that the reason they won't work on it is due to how Ford's warranty work procedures are written.
I just couldn't believe that they consider it a new issue and not the same repair order that it was there for less than a week before for the same symptoms...
I've contacted Ford's Customer Care today and will be getting a return call within two business days from a Customer Care rep that is assigned to my issue. I'll keep you guys posted as to how it turns out, in case anyone else ever runs into this situation under warranty.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:11 PM
oh wow okay they should be able to work with you and change the part under warranty, if not its only about $20 if that helps

Old 01-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Not to throw a wrench into things

Hey everyone, read all the post here and my truck is doing what is listed here on this post. I have a 2004 f150 4x4 with auto trans and manual 4x4(one of the first new body styles produced). My mechanic, who is a good friend and excellent mechanic, I told him about the vacumn solenoid problems listed on this thread. He said my truck has no vacumn lines going to the hubs to engage the 4x4. He held the phone up to the front wheel and let me hear my right axle was not engaging(card in spoke sound) he believes it is a bad hud and will investigate more. Anyone ever heard of some of the 2004 f150 without IWE solenoid. any thoughts. Thanks.

Update: Ok my mechanic got digging a little deeper and its not the hubs, he found the lines going to the hubs, it is vacuum driven, had water in them. He is buying and installing new IWE solenoid. I thank you and he thanks you. Probably saved me a ton of money in dealer cost by going to this forum...thanks..

Last edited by camry111; 01-07-2010 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Update...

Quick Reply: Intermitent Grinding Noise on 2004 F150 4x4