Old 04-13-2015, 02:27 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Grinding Noise on 2004 F150 4x4

Some describe it as a blender with ice, other a grinding noise. Whatever it is, it’s annoying and can be harmful to your truck. Find out what other did to solve the issue and what caused it.

Helpful Advice

Read full discussion for further information
Print Wikipost

Intermitent Grinding Noise on 2004 F150 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 10:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks ofr the feedback. Hopefully that will do it and there is no collateral damage from that damn grinding sound. If you have the part # that would be awesome!

Old 09-13-2006, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
water is the problem

I've had the same problem w/ my '05 f150. seems that water runs down the firewall and drips onto the vacuum IWE solenoid mounted on the wall and shorts it out. Ford is aware of this problem according to my local dealer. I checked my wife's '04 expidition and it has a lip that protects the solenoid from dripping water. the new replacement IWE solenoid has a rubber cap to sheild it from water.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by beh65
I've had the same problem w/ my '05 f150. seems that water runs down the firewall and drips onto the vacuum IWE solenoid mounted on the wall and shorts it out. Ford is aware of this problem according to my local dealer. I checked my wife's '04 expidition and it has a lip that protects the solenoid from dripping water. the new replacement IWE solenoid has a rubber cap to sheild it from water.
I ordered a replacement a while back for about $50 from the dealer as I thought it might be the solenoid, then realized the fuse was out after running the vacuum lines over and over. Anyways, it didnt' look any different. You are talking about the IWE solenoid mounted on the top left of the engine bay against the firewall correct? That definitely would make sense but I would think it is shorting out somewhere else, there are no exposed wiring at that location that I'm aware of.

Old 09-14-2006, 10:03 AM
same problem

I think i may have the same issue, however the truck sits at Ford as we speak with the tech telling me its the brakes before even looking at the truck. But i wanted to know from some of you guys that have had this is how offen it happens because for me it was one time about 3 weeks ago and then everything was ok and then twice in the last 3 days. I would think if it was the fuse being out this would happen more offen?

I like the symptom that the wife gave : ice in a blender, that pretty much is the desription or maybe more like rocks in the blender.

Old 11-09-2006, 06:11 AM
Yup, ice in a blender! Can you update us on what the dealer found on your 06? Last year the dealer replaced a "4x4 switch" on my 04. The grinding had been happening once a day, sometimes multiple time the same day. No relation to weather, speed, etc. After the repairs it was fine until May of this year when it happened twice in 2 days. I never brought it back to the dealer, and it's been fine since. Weird. Maybe sunspots?

Old 11-09-2006, 09:04 AM
Smile Intermitent Grinding Noise

I've had the same intermitent grinding noise on my '05 F150 for six months. The dealer found the problem and fixed it. The TSB number os 06-8-15 (publication date April 18, 2006). The problem was caused by the IWE solenoid, which is located on the passenger side firewall, just below the hood. Water coming off the windshield was running onto the solenoid and causing a short. The solenoid controls the vacuum lines that conrol the shifting between 2WD and 4WD. A short in the solenoid causes a change in pressure in the vacuum, which starts the shift into 4WD. The grinding occurs because the change in pressure is not sufficient to fully engage the 4WD - the system is left half way between 2WD and 4WD until something else happens, such as applying the breaks or manually shifting into 4WD. Ford fixed my problem by installing the newly redesigned solenoid. This was done four months ago and I've had no problems since. Note: the TSB cautions that the old solenoid design could also result in water getting into the vacuum lines. I didnt' have this problem, but Ford provides a service procedure for fixing this as well in the same TSB.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:38 PM
Cape - Thanks for the TSB#. I think I'll bring it to the dealer next time I'm in. The IWE solonoid was identified as a problem through this forum over a year ago. I'm thrilled that Ford finally realized there as a problem and a simple fix. Intermitent water from rain or condensation could explain alot. I'm tired of bringing the truck to the dealer, only to have them keep it for a couple of days without the problem happening.

Athough I haven't had the grinding for months, I can bet as soon as the warranty ends, it would start again

Old 11-17-2006, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the help
My 04 has been doing this for awhile now and the mechanic says bring it by while it is making the noise.
I noticed it did it more on wet days and 4hi stoped it.

My question is now when I shift to 4hi the light comes on and then goes off.
Anybody have that happen?

My mechanic said now there is a TSB that Ford is resposible for fixing it and any damage it has caused (front hubs, ect.).
Is that true, cause my warranty is over.

BECAUSE IT ALWAYS FELT LIKE WE WERE DRAGGING DOWN THE HIGHWAY WITH IT ALL THE TIME.
Yes I have noticed this and it worries me alot.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:46 PM
Any resulting damage?

I just went through the same problem. I had to drive around with the dealer service manager to let him hear the noice. This was after three weeks of shop time without any progress. Then after he heard the noise, they ended up replacing the solenoid three days later.

But my question to him was, what kind out damage was all of the grinding doing to the hubs? His answer was "Well, you have 24000 miles or warantee left. Not very reassuring while I'm towing the trailer 200 miles from home.

Does anyone have any idea about what may have been damaged, or what can I check?

Thanks

Old 01-31-2007, 09:43 AM
I finally convinced my Ford dealer to pay attention to the TSB. Although I haven't experienced the problem since last May, I wanted to have the solenoid replaced before the warranty ran out. I told the dealer a white lie - that the problem continues to happen every few days. I gave them a printed a copy of this thread, with the TSB #. Initially they said they'd have to hear it happen to make any warranty repairs. Of course no grinding during their test drive - BUT, I was pleasantly surprised when I picked it up that they proactively replaced the solenoid.

Hopefully, I'll see many more trouble free miles in the future !

Old 10-07-2007, 06:03 PM
I had them replace the solenoid back then and now the same noise is back again. I hate my dealership!!!! They probly replace the solenoid with a new defective one.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Cliff - The dealership should still warranty the repair. Let us know how you make out - and what they find. Mine has been ok since January.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:22 PM
I see this thread started a couple years ago, but guess what? 2007 F-150 FX4 EAOD4 with 10,000 miles grinding that stops when switched to 4HI. Started when we had a couple inches of snow. My solenoid seems to be on the driver side under the plastic lip now but still no rubber cover, but maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing. Anyway, Ford doesn't seem to have it fixed yet.
Jeff

Old 01-13-2008, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by Josiah
If your truck is trying to engage the hubs while in 2wd, your fuse is out. I can get the fuse number but it's called the 4wd Solenoid. There is no vacuum to the front hubs to keep them disengaged. Mine grounds out after about a day so it's useless to keep replacing the fuse. If your problems are similar to dmac's put your truck in gear, apply the parking brake a little so it's not idling faster than 3-4 mph and look underneath while the truck is driving, if the driveshaft in front is slowly spinning your fuse is more than likely blown. I have been through my vacuum lines a million times and it turned out to be this damn fuse. I learned a ton about the vacuum system however, so I have a little gratitude.
I had the same problem and fix but could never figure out why the fuse blew?
Did you?

Old 01-22-2008, 02:26 PM
loud grinding

Originally Posted by Steve Ryan
Intermitent Grinding Noise on 2004 F150 4x4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Help!

I have a 2004 f150 4x4 Supercrew w/ 5.4 . It has started making a loud metallic grinding, bumping noise. My wife says it sounds like a blender with ice - under the front floorboards. The noise seems to be coming from the transmission or the 4x4 transfer case.

I can go for 2 or 3 days without this occuring, then it might happen 2 or 3 times in one day. I have taken it back to the dealer three times with no solution. They tell me bring it back when it is making the noise. Sometimes it starts when I'm going slow - sometimes fast (interstate driving). Once the grinding noise starts the only way to stop it is to come to a complete stop - right before you completely stop - you will hear a loud "clunk" and then the grinding noise stops. It almost sounds likes something is trying to engage - hence the grinding sound.

The only problem is that it is intermitant. Any ideas?

Steve

Steve,

Had a similar noise, took apart the front hub assemb. and found some water that turned into ice in the backing plate. It has the vacuum hose from the sending unit and a return line on it. My problem was the water in the back was freezing and was not allowing the 4x4 to engage or was letting it get half way out and was causing a heck of a noise, really grinding. It wouldn't do it all the time though, so I took everything apart, cleaned it with methyel hydrate and blew it out with air. It has been working fine since. It's pretty cold up here in Winnipeg, so if your in a warm weather climate this may not be the same problem I had. I think the vacuum line somehow got condensation in it and it dripped down the return line or the main vac line causing the noise.

greg

Quick Reply: Intermitent Grinding Noise on 2004 F150 4x4