Old 04-13-2015, 02:27 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Grinding Noise on 2004 F150 4x4

Some describe it as a blender with ice, other a grinding noise. Whatever it is, it’s annoying and can be harmful to your truck. Find out what other did to solve the issue and what caused it.

Helpful Advice

Read full discussion for further information
Print Wikipost

Intermitent Grinding Noise on 2004 F150 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ice Blender

I have a 2004 f-150 manual shift 4x4. I have found on edmonds. com that the noise we are all hearing is the fluid pump inside the transfer case. The screen gets plugged up or something. and you 4x4 is not disengaging properly. there could be dirt in the vacuum line for the 4x4 acuator. the acuator was a poop invention by ford. hope it helps.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Same Problem

I have the same problem. Sound like grinding inside of a can, or a piece of sheet metal contacting spokes, or gears trying to mesh. Very unnerving. Can someone please post the solenoid location and cover that was described? ALso a close up shot of the "Damn Fuze"

I jacked up my truck and placed her on jack stands, all four wheels. Put it in 4 WD High, and let her idle. Jacked up and free wheeling, it only makes this noise when the brakes are applied. Mostly when they are applied rapidly.

I am 64 and baby this vehicle. Since I baby this truck, and only very rarely put it in 4WD I am pissed. Just like the stupid spark plug issue with the 5.4 litre engine.

Ford got it right for years, and now they decide to screw with success????? Why??? This is 6th Ford truck I have owned, and probably the last.

My wife told me I should have unloaded it after the plug issue. She was right, as usual.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:04 PM
To Z-89

Originally Posted by z-89
I have a 2004 f-150 manual shift 4x4. I have found on edmonds. com that the noise we are all hearing is the fluid pump inside the transfer case. The screen gets plugged up or something. and you 4x4 is not disengaging properly. there could be dirt in the vacuum line for the 4x4 acuator. the acuator was a poop invention by ford. hope it helps.
Can you elaborate a little more???? What is the purpose of a fluid pump in the transfer case, where is the vacuum line, what did you do to solve the problem etc etc. etc.

Please be more specific.

Thanks, JimA

Old 06-14-2011, 05:00 PM
Jagans.... regarding your "grinding noise in a can", my understanding is that the solenoid is on the firewall, but maybe someone else can confirm. BUT, you mention that you only hear it when the brakes are applied? Then it may not be the same issue. Could it be just a brake problem?

Old 07-11-2011, 06:15 PM
I have an 2005 S-crew built at the end of 2004. I just started having the same grinding issue described in 06f150ny's post.

Happened a couple months back and i pulle over to see if I was dragging something under the truck. Found nothing. Happened again yesterday morning. Pulled over and heard a clunk as the truck stopped. No problem ater that until this morning. Happened only for a split secnd as i was leaving my house and stopping at the corner.

Going to check vacuum and possibly order the solenoid as insurance.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:58 PM
there are a number of post's on the subject of IWE's

first check for vaccuum leaks, i have found several around the soliniod and battery area, i found the line going to the vacuum cannister (a plastic box located behind battery) damaged in more then one place.

install a vacuum gauge (hand pump type)using a "T" fitting in the line going to the vacuum cannister it should hold about -22 in vacuum after you turn off the eng. if not you have a leak somewhere.

use the hand pump to test each indiv. line until you find it.

i found all leaks in the hard plastic tubing
replace the hard plastic tubing with flexable line (5/16)

Old 07-18-2011, 11:23 AM
Solenoid

It was definitely the solenoid. I purchased mine from Rock Auto for 16 bucks, replaced it and all problems have disappeared. I cut off about quarter of an inch of the vacuum hose at the IWE's just in case the hose was split, pulled vacuum on all lines to check them, and to remove water just in case any got in. (None Found) and put her back together. Problem is gone. Its the Solenoid.

The infuriating part of this is that Ford would design the solenoid to sit under a water fall when they knew it could be affected by water or corrosion.

My concern now is what was damaged when I heard the noise. It was bad. As someone else stated it was like dragging a muffler that had fallen. I actually looked under the truck expecting to see just that.

This is a life safety issue, FORD. I am sure this will lead to pile ups as drivers try to get off the road when they hear this sound.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:26 AM
I didn't go through all 6 pages of this thread, but I figured I'd add my findings (I'm dealing w/ the same issue on my '07 right now). It's part# 9H465-Solenoid Vacuum Valve, it costs $45, and IS NOT covered under the 100k powertrain warranty (according to the dealer here, anyway). Hope this helps.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Dealer=Rip Off

I bought my solenoid online for 15 dollars and change. Put it in after purging lines with a vacuum pump. Problem solved. Its really too bad Ford does not issue a TSM on this and at least let people know about it, The fix is easy and inexpensive, and knowing about it might save someones life. The first reaction to the racket is to get off the gas and the road as quickly as possible, because it sounds like a lot of damage is being inflicted on your drive train.

JimA

Old 08-12-2011, 01:23 PM
I've the same problem on mine when it comes to grinding. It's been doing that for past 3 months or so. This feed's really helped quite a bit.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Having a problem with my IWE the same grinding noise as everyone else. Replaced solinoid after checking vacuum lines. Same problem. Jacked up truck put vaccum on lines 22 psi with vacuum pump. turned wheels. Right side spins freely, left side stays locked in. Started vehicle and put in 4X4. Spun tires same thing happened. Would this be caused by a bad IWE actuator on the drivers side not dissengaging?

Old 08-12-2012, 02:45 PM
Well I have found the problem with the IWE on my vehicle. As I metioned in last post, there are no vacuum leaks. Found left IWE actuator locked in and the right one locked out. Have replaced actuator on left side that one now works as it should.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:53 AM
exact same issue - thanks for the info

wow - this thread has been unbelievably helpful.

I have a 2005 F150 Lariat Supercrew with the exact same problem. When you hear it - it will freak you out to say the least. I had the exact same issue that the dealership said they must recreate the problem to fix it. I am surprised they did not know of this issue when I described it to them.

This just started happening at 89,000 miles. Just thought I would add to this thread.

thanks again

Old 09-04-2012, 07:17 PM
This is old news

The noise you all are hearing is the four wheel drive trying to engage because you have a bad WTE solinoid. When standing in front of the truck looking at the firewall the solinoid is on the left side just behind the battery. It costs about 16 bucks online, and the new one usually includes a small plastic hood that keeps water cascading from the windshield gutter off the solinoid. Make sure you purge your vacuum lines or blow them clear, and make sure your lines are not leaking, or cracked. When you engage four wheel drive, vacuum is removed and the spring loaded wte collars engage, giving you 4wd. Intermittant vacuum causes the toothed wte collars to jump in and out. This is a bad situation and you should park the truck and fix it fast, or extensive damage will ensue. The solinoid is very cheap. Bad design if you ask me. I would rather get out and lock the hubs.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:00 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Old thread too.........

Quick Reply: Intermitent Grinding Noise on 2004 F150 4x4