knock sound from rear

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 04:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
knock sound from rear

Hey guys, got an issue and just wondering if it's happened to anybody else. Everytime i take a turn stop or accelerate (from stop) i.e. any change of motion, i seem to get kind of a "clunk" sound from what i think is the rear suspension. so if i turn left i can hear and slightly feel it clunk to the right, then i can make a right turn and feel it clunk on the left. when i go over a bump, if it's just right, i can hear it also. i've crawled under my truck and felt around to make sure the bolts are on there tight and everything seems to be good. i don't have any modifications to the rear, only a leveling kit in the front. anybody else hear this noise? it's kind of hard to explain...
thanks in advance for any advice!

Old 05-04-2014, 04:39 AM
like you turn at an intersection without haveing to stop , and as you start off down the next street it go clunk ?

ya my 01 has done that for-ever

it used to be my father's truck - I noticed it the first time I drove it back in 02
-I asked him about it
he said the dealer said - brakes

naw Idon think so... my rear calipers clunk when comeing to a stop but this is different

I think it's my diff locking back up after turning

my rear calipers also clunk again when starting from a stop

Last edited by I like Fords to; 05-04-2014 at 04:42 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:43 AM
Originally Posted by I like Fords to
like you turn at an intersection without haveing to stop , and as you start off down the next street it go clunk ?

ya my 01 has done that for-ever

it used to be my father's truck - I noticed it the first time I drove it back in 02
-I asked him about it
he said the dealer said - brakes

naw Idon think so... my rear calipers clunk when comeing to a stop but this is different

I think it's my diff locking back up after turning

my rear calipers also clunk again when starting from a stop
the rear calipers? never heard of that before. i'll look into it though. after a couple hours of research it's gotta be the slip yoke, u joint, and now possibly the rear calipers. i'm getting an alignment tomorrow so i'm going to ask the guys to take a look at that stuff when it's on the lift.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:50 AM
it's not so much a clunk I hear but rather something I can feel
though , before I got my brakes done the last time the rears would clunk when I steped on the running board - dosen't do that now but I can still fell them move when I come to a stop and start off (both)

the turning corners thing is different and I still think that's the differential locking

I had my U joints checked - nope not it
no slop at the trans or pinion gear either

I'd like to try new rear caliper mounting bolts / pins and the rubber bushings which might be worn out - presumeing it uses the mounting method I'm thinking of

Last edited by I like Fords to; 05-04-2014 at 05:52 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:50 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Sounds like it could be the traction lock not wanting to release. I had to add 2 bottles of friction modifier to my 2000 to get it to where it would release while turning. There is a TSB on the 2000 and maybe other years. This happened a lot and the TSB said the fix was to replace the clutch pack and reduce the preload shims by 0.010". I just added the second bottle of friction modifier and fixed it.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:39 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
It could also be excessive end play in the axles.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by glc
It could also be excessive end play in the axles.
what all would that entail to fix? or is there even a fix to it?

Old 05-04-2014, 09:53 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
You have to see if that's the issue first - jack up the rear and shake the wheels in and out and see how much they move. Make sure the parking brake is off.

Quick Reply: knock sound from rear