Satellite radio install for 04 F150

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Satellite radio install for 04 F150

I am looking into getting a Sirius Satellite radio for my 04 F150. I was looking at the plug and play Sirius Starmate 4. I just have a few questions.

1. Is there a way to hard wire it to power so I would not have to plug it into my cigarette lighter? I do not want to see the wires hanging across the dash.

2. Is there a way to directly connect it to my factory radio so I do not have to use the wireless FM modulation? Looking for the best type of connection for best sound quality.

My truck is a 2004 F150 XL with factory single CD player and I do not think that I would be able to use the PIE adapter that I have seen a lot of people on here using.

I know nothing about Satellite radio so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 11-09-2006, 08:50 PM
Yes, it can be hardwired in. I had it installed professionally though. I also had a Pro-fit mount for it also so it is mounted just to the right of the stereo. I got a PIE adapter and think the quality is much better than FM modulator. You have to have the AUX button on your radio for it to work though. I could take pictures of my setup later if you like. Also, do a search on the forum on others who installed the PIE adapter and satellite. I did install the PIE adapter myself.

Here is a list of PIE adapters available.
http://www.pie.net/images/appguide/appl_aux.pdf

Kevin

Old 11-10-2006, 09:15 AM
I do have the AUX button on my radio, so I guess the PIE will work for me.

Yes I would like to see a picture of your setup.

Thanks.

Old 11-10-2006, 09:17 AM
Did you get the Pro-Fit mount at the place you got it installed or online?

Old 11-10-2006, 10:40 AM
The pro-fit mount came from the installers. You might want to do some research and see what kind of mount you might need. I did not get the pictures last night but I will get them after I get off work tonight. I will take a few of the wiring also. Sorry for not getting back to you earlier.

Here is a link that shows how somebody else's satellite is installed (post#3)and is like mine:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...ghlight=ProFit

Here is a link for the ProFit mounts:
http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/

I will get the pictures posted tonight sometime.

Kevin

Old 11-10-2006, 11:10 PM
Pictures of Sirius and how to wire:

Remove dash around stereo by pulling from bottom and pull straight out. Pull ash tray out to get a good grip. It will make popping noises as it comes out.

Remove the wire for Passenger air bag warning on back of panel. Push on tab by thumb in picture:

Remove the 4 screws that hold the radio in and you can pull the stereo out and you can get a good view of the connections.

Last edited by khindal; 11-11-2006 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:16 PM
Here is a picture where the Sirius power is wired. The black and white from Sirius is connected to green with white stripe. Black wire from Sirius is connected to black with green stripe.

I did not get a good picture of the power connections for the PIE. I hooked the power wires to the power wires of the cigarette lighter.

Here is where I placed the PIE adapter:

Here is a pic of the back of the ProFit and Sirius radio:

Last edited by khindal; 11-11-2006 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:19 PM
I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions. It is fairly easy and not difficult. You will need to get an RCA to Mini-jack adapter cable. The shorter the cable the better and make sure the mini-jack has a 90 degree connector. The 90 degree connectore sits flush and allow the ProFit to move more freely if you want to re-position it. I had a mini-jack adapter that comes straight out in my other vehicle and broke the Sirius connection when the mini-jack got pushed.

Kevin

Last edited by khindal; 11-11-2006 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:55 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice write up Kevin... I just smacked you with some REP points for this...

We need more of this type of participation! Much appreciated! Nice contribution!

Old 11-11-2006, 10:45 AM
Thanks RP! Just trying to help others after all the help I have recevied from people on the forum.

One more picture to show. There are 4 bolts that hold the radio in and the two bolts on the right hold the ProFit also.

Old 11-11-2006, 06:36 PM
WOW! Thanks Kevin. I did not realize you were going to take the dash apart to get the pictures for me. The pictures show me exactly what I need to do.

Thanks agian for the detailed write up and photos. I really appreciate it

Last edited by Mister B; 11-11-2006 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:50 PM
I don't know where you are going put the antenna. There are a few posts on here where some people have put it. It is very easy to pull that piece of the dash and that is why I did it. Good luck with the install and post some pix when you are done.

Kevin

Old 11-13-2006, 05:16 PM
I didn't like how the power wire on my sirius sportster was short and ran across my dash to my cig lighter either. I ended up taking an easy way out and bought an extension for the plug and ran it along under my dash and center console and plugged it in to the aux outlet in the back seat of my truck behind the console. If I can't see it, i'm not worried about it so that solution worked well for me.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:52 PM
The PIE power supply is actually connected to the extra 12V connection to the right of the stereo. I tapped into the wires because it always has power to it. It will not drain your battery so no worries there. I think the PIE install directions want you to hook it up to a constant power source too. Of course, UNHOOK YOUR BATTERY NEGATIVE TERMINAL BEFORE STARTING ANY WORK!!!!!!

Kevin

Old 11-16-2006, 05:13 PM
about pie

hey guys about this PIE adapter two questions did u use this hook up so u do get bad reception or static because thats what i,m getting and this might be the fix i,v been looking for and where did u buy one of these PIE i got the part number just need to know where to go thanks also that mini jack conector is that something seperate that goes into the aux output on the receiver and the other end goes to the PIE. IS that the red and white wires that are hook up to the PIE like in your pics

Last edited by BLUE ON BLACK; 11-16-2006 at 07:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Satellite radio install for 04 F150