Add-on Satellite Radio Placement

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Add-on Satellite Radio Placement

B-Man has shared great pics of his antenna install , and messman-24 has provided pics of his cool XM install in his overhead console, but I haven't been able to find any "dashboard" pictures of add-on units. Anyone have pictures of their Roady, Commander, SkiFi, or other install? Any 'stealth' suggestions for mounting those types of receivers?

Thanks in advance!!

Old 01-05-2005, 08:52 PM
do a search for it in the 04/05 forum. A lot of guys put it in the ashtray. Its nice and clean looking and you can close the ashtray to hide it. Also some have mounted it right on the dash. I thinkTUFF FORD has his there, check out his gallery.

Old 01-18-2005, 11:59 PM
I just installed a MyFi.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...w.cfm?num=7595

Feel free to ask any questions.

Old 01-19-2005, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by DAThomas9
I just installed a MyFi.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...w.cfm?num=7595

Feel free to ask any questions.
Question....how do you remove the stereo? I'd rather get some advice from someone who's done it before I start pulling and prying. I'd like to pull it off to further install the Roady2 that I have as well as take a look behind the stereo so I can be ready when an aux input adapter comes out. Thanks!

Old 01-19-2005, 11:54 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll try to get some pictures of my setup. I have an Audivox SIRPNP3 receiver and use the FM modulator with the OEM HU.

I used double sided tape to put the antenna on the dashboard, at the base of the windshield inside the vehicle. The wire is not seen as I put it under the removavle cover on the dash of 97-03 F-150's. The antenna wire then goes through the console aroudn a center vent and under the pull-off Radio/HVAC trim. I used double sided tape to mount the tuner on the ash tray of the dash mounted cup holder.

I may change things when winter is over.

Old 01-19-2005, 07:25 PM
I would like to see photos, I have the Audiovox as well, last yrs model and kind of big, but after spending all that cash on dockings I am not about to dump more money on the new miniture units. Problem has always been how to mount this monster. Almost sorry for buying Surius, but since last yr they came out with a smaller unit. If anyone has a great idea on mounting please, let me know. Thanks

Old 01-19-2005, 09:17 PM
APT
Old 01-19-2005, 09:19 PM
APT
Double post.

Old 01-19-2005, 10:18 PM
littlemo,

Removing the bezel that surrounds the radio, temp controls, and cigarette lighter is pretty easy. First, open the ashtray. Then start at the bottom, and begin prying it off. Just pop it off little by little. That exposes a huge cavern behind the dash. There are several connectors going to the back of the bezel for the passenger seat airbag, cigarette lighter, and maybe a few other items, depending in your truck. Remove as many as it takes get the bezel out of your way. The radio is held in by four hex head machine screws. It's pretty easy.

Last edited by DAThomas9; 01-19-2005 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by DAThomas9
littlemo,

Removing the bezel that surrounds the radio, temp controls, and cigarette lighter is pretty easy. First, open the ashtray. Then start at the bottom, and begin prying it off. Just pop it off little by little. That exposes a huge cavern behind the dash. There are several connectors going to the back of the bezel for the passenger seat airbag, cigarette lighter, and maybe a few other items, depending in your truck. Remove as many as it takes get the bezel out of your way. The radio is held in by four hex head machine screws. It's pretty easy.
Thanks for the help. It was a piece of cake taking it off. Much easier than I thought it would be.

Old 01-20-2005, 10:18 PM
DAThomas9:

Have you encoutered any problems with running the cassette adapter behind the radio's faceplate? I was just curious as to what happens if the tape is accidentally "ejected" or if they may be other problems with the tape adapter being on the other side of the tape door. I think it is a great idea and am thinking of doing the same, just want to make sure there are not issues with this method. Thanks for any help.

Old 01-21-2005, 10:35 AM
wstahlm80,

It’s been less than a week, but so far, no problems. I only wanted the cassette player in my truck for satellite radio – nothing else. I suppose if I accidentally hit the “eject” button there could be a potential problem, but I have a strong feeling the cassette would simply pop back in, because the travel would be so limited.

When you take the face of the radio off, there are four screws, two at the top, and two at the bottom, all four Phillips flat heads. Carefully pop the face off, noting the “clips” at the bottom, meaning pry, not tear. You’ll see a notch in the silver frame of the radio directly beneath where the wire goes, assuming it drops directly down from the cassette chamber. Hold the wire in that notch, pop the radio face back on, and re-install the radio.

It’s less daunting than it seems. Best of luck.

Old 01-24-2005, 05:06 PM
Having the My-Fi mounted right there, how much does it block use of the air vent? I'm considering mounting a Roady2 in the same area, but DO NOT want to have it block the vent or powerpoint from being used by me (the driver) while driving.
Thanks for the helpful pictures.

Old 01-25-2005, 11:01 PM
The Power Point is fully accessable, and from the driver's seat, the vent is almost a quarter blocked - in a more positive tone, it is three quarters wide open. Not a problem at all in my book.

Old 02-10-2005, 06:33 PM

Quick Reply: Add-on Satellite Radio Placement