Troyer E-Fans

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 07:04 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Troyer E-Fans

Last edited by 26point2; 03-29-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:21 PM
I'll be installing my e-fans as soon as we get warmer weather here. I'm looking forward to your HP post.

Norm

Old 06-01-2006, 01:25 PM
Funny post. I just installed my fans a week ago. Talk about stressful putting the rods through the radiator. I am also expecting the fans to fall out but all is good so far. I couldn't get some of the rubber holds as tight due to lack of leverage with the radiator in place. I need to keep working on those.

Overall it's great. Truck engine has less noise and just seems "lighter". Air conditioning still works well until I have to sit in traffic.

I have to admit, it was pretty easy but, was more time consuming than planned. The part that took the most time was trying to get those little black rubber hold downs snugged up. I also didn't have a scan tool or point and shoot heat meter, I tried to track one down but, nothing. I used a basic mechanically temperature gauge and treated it just like the sensor probes on te fan.

Now I am thinking it would be nice to have a couple of LEDs for fan status, to ensure they are kicking on and working properly. I don't really want to wait until the "Service Engine Soon" light comes on saying that I am boiling my coolant.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Radio Shack has some nice 12v LED indicator lights. Red, Green, Yellow etc. Wire them directly to the fans so you know the juice goes to the fan.
I put mine on the left side radio bezel. When I drive the gear shift blocks the lamps which is handy at night. Note when going faster than 50mph, the airflow turns the fans generating voltage and illuminates the LEDs. Good way to check if the fans are frozen up.

Fritz

Old 06-01-2006, 03:55 PM
Suspended
Old 06-01-2006, 08:03 PM
I added the LED's from Radio Shack and mounted on the dash:

Old 06-01-2006, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by derrickk
Air conditioning still works well until I have to sit in traffic.
Is this common with the E fans?

Old 06-02-2006, 06:29 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by BRW619
Is this common with the E fans?
My a/c works well in stop and go traffic...even better w/the fan on..

TRAY: Those LEDs look good...I couldn't decide whether to go w/green or red...I believe I went red because that's all I could find at the Rat Shack..

R/
Craig

Old 06-25-2006, 12:02 PM
I am thinking that the AC temperature drop is somewhat normal and I could likely use a recharge. I don't think I'll have time to do the LEDs before my vacation, but the approach is a good idea. Thanks.

Old 06-26-2006, 12:33 PM
My A/C works far better at low vehicle speeds with the e-fans. Especially in the desert in the summer, like aiting at a traffic light or just sitting and idling.

It's freezing cold all the time, I don't notice the air temp changing as my vehicle speeds rises/falls, as it did with the factory fan.

Just my $0.02

Old 06-26-2006, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by Jordan not Mike
My A/C works far better at low vehicle speeds with the e-fans. Especially in the desert in the summer, like aiting at a traffic light or just sitting and idling.

It's freezing cold all the time, I don't notice the air temp changing as my vehicle speeds rises/falls, as it did with the factory fan.

Just my $0.02

I watched it more closely today and if my RPMs drop below 1000 then the AC starts going flat. If it gets down to 600-700 it loses cold completely. I don't really think it has anything to do with the e-fans but either the coolant or the compressor.

Old 07-13-2006, 06:51 PM
I have flex-a-lites on a mechanical switch and would like to know what is needed for the leds (list) and any diagrams. I bought my truck (sig) from a guy with them installed and the first day I forgot to turn them on and it overheated. Whats up with the freezing up of fans?

Old 07-13-2006, 10:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by derrickk
...<Snip>Air conditioning still works well until I have to sit in traffic...<Snip>
I think you have something wired wrong - one of the fans should kick on with the AC compressor. That alone should make your AC cold, whatever your speed might be.

Not being a smart-@ss, but are you sure you have them wired to run in the right direction (pulling the air through the radiator) ?

Someone else on this site wired theirs backwards - when sitting still the AC was warm. As the truck moved, it forced air through and the AC started working better.

Worth looking into...

Old 07-14-2006, 02:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is the LED from RadioShack. Made for 12Volts.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...&kw=2062568%26

Also available in green and amber.

At the fans splice in a thin wire to each positive wire near the fan motor. Run those wires into the cab to where you want the LEDs. One side of the LED goes to this wire, the other gets grounded to the chassis.

Fritz

Old 08-25-2006, 01:10 PM
I just got my e-fan kit in from Troyer. I'm concerned about the mounting method, tho. How long will those little rubber pieces between the fans and the radiator hold up? Also, should one of the fans fail, what's the procedure for removing the little metal rods to remove the bad fan?

Are those rods copper clad steel? I can't see them having the required strength if they're copper.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Troyer E-Fans