has anyone installed a tv tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 11:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
has anyone installed a tv tuner?

I'm thinking about installing a tv tuner in my truck so my passengers can watch tv on road trips (I'm getting tired of hearing "I'm missing my favorite show!") and wondering if anyone else has done it. If so, did you use an external antenna? And where did you install it? I was thinking about hiding the whole setup behind the rear seat and running the remote receiver and rcas to the front under the carpet.

Thanks.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few of us have tv tuners installed. I rarely use it though. Mine came with some wite type antennas that I mounted on my back glass with double sided tape. The TV tuner was part of my head unit and it easily fit behind the lower double din area.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by Impact9
The TV tuner was part of my head unit and it easily fit behind the lower double din area.

But does it work well? How's the reception? I've been debating about adding a tv tuner but I dont have much hope that the reception will be very good.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:49 PM
bump for info as well

Old 05-10-2007, 09:54 AM
Crap sorry guys forgot about this thread.

It works good when I'm fairly close to the city. Fair when I'm out in the country. I think it would be a lot better with a higher end antenna. I think it performs as well as any portable TV I've seen. It's just hard to say since I have no basis for comparision.

Old 05-10-2007, 05:21 PM
I've had my Kenwood Excelon KVT910-DVD TV Tuner installed in my truck since 04 when I bought it. Before that it was in my (pardon me here) Z71. Honestly, I love it when I am in urban areas. The reception is surprisingly good. As you would expect, you get lesser quality outside of town, but so far I have zero complaints with this model. Considering its 8 years old now...I'd have to believe the technology has improved some. I'd save up and mount a trak-vision satellite unit up top.

Old 05-10-2007, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by TXScrewZHD
I've had my Kenwood Excelon KVT910-DVD TV Tuner installed in my truck since 04 when I bought it. Before that it was in my (pardon me here) Z71. Honestly, I love it when I am in urban areas. The reception is surprisingly good. As you would expect, you get lesser quality outside of town, but so far I have zero complaints with this model. Considering its 8 years old now...I'd have to believe the technology has improved some. I'd save up and mount a trak-vision satellite unit up top.
yea ebay has them for $2500 which is a little much for a daily driver.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by Impact9
yea ebay has them for $2500 which is a little much for a daily driver.

not including the monthy direct-tv fee on top of that.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:54 AM
that's why I said "save up". Trust me..I don't have that kind of cabbage laying around, but if I did...that be the way I'd go.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:55 AM
I have seen the mobile Direct TV sat tracking system on top of a Tahoe. It tracks while in motion. The guy has a drop down 35" LCD with a HDTV Tivo box.

He has lots of disposable income.

You could use your IPOD to do almost the same thing...that is what we do for certain shows like "The office" etc.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Figured I'd chime in on this.

The ONLY tv tuner that I recommend is the Kenwood KTC-V300N. I don't ever push a product for it's TV function. It's more of just an extra. Because if you push the TV tuner or use it as leverage for the sale then the customer gets upset about the reception qualitiy. However the Kenwood unit is pretty amazing to most TV tuners I have used. This unit is only capable of working with a Kenwood reciever though. It comes with two Diversity antennas that look more like defroster lines than an antenna. Here in Kansas City the unit picks up just about every local station. About 10 or so I believe. This unit I actually have no problem selling because the customer is always happy with its reception. They're just not too happy with the $300 price tag...lol

Keep in mind that all TV stations are supposed to go Digital on Feb 17, 2009. By that date all your analog TV tuners including your old home TVs will not work without some type of converter.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:44 PM
Course by then we'll all have HD tuners in our trucks and that'll sounds/look awesome.

Old 05-12-2007, 01:49 AM
Sirius is due to offer Sirius TV soon. Here's a section from USA Today

Originally Posted by USA Today
Sirius plans to offer TV service in cars by 2007

NEW YORK (Reuters) — Sirius Satellite Radio (SIRI) expects to offer a live television service in cars by late 2007, and deals with content providers may be set as early as January, CEO Mel Karmazin said Thursday.

In an interview at the Reuters Media Summit in New York, Karmazin said the mobile video, likely to be available in 2008 model lines, would be geared toward young viewers sitting in the back seat.

Shares of Sirius rose 11 cents to $4.26 after his remarks. The stock is still down about 36% this year, hurt in part by concerns about industry spending on programming and the auto industry's woes.

"We have three content deals that are very close to being finalized. I don't know if they will be done by CES, but that is what we are shooting for," he said, referring to the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas in January. "We will have video in the rear seat of the car up and running."

Sirius has touted the possible launch of such a service for years. In 2004, it said it would offer video services by mid-2005, adding at the time that the timing depended on automakers' wishes rather than Sirius' capability. It later said TV service would launch in '06.

Larger rival XM Satellite Radio Holdings has also talked about the possibility of nationwide broadcast of live TV to cars. However, XM has said it would wait for signs of a significant market before it rolled out such a service.

Sirius subscribers who want the video service would have to pay an extra charge to their $13-per-month subscription, Karmazin said, but declined to detail the price or the cars in which it may be offered.

"The investment is already made and the benefit for us is (average revenue per user)," he said, referring to an increase in the money it will receive from subscribers. "You want to get more subscribers and increase your (average revenue per user) and … one of the ways is with some other services, and video is one of them.".

Old 05-12-2007, 03:52 AM
Whoa $13 per month! I'm so there!

Quick Reply: has anyone installed a tv tuner?