Lightning

Ford is replacing my motor thanks to Mr. Slappy.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2001, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Ford is replacing my motor thanks to Mr. Slappy.

Took my truck to the dealer last Monday for the "slap," fortunately for me the motor was slapping real loud which gave me something for the dealer to listen to. They had the truck for almost a week, basically they did all they could to prevent replacing the motor. They changed the oil to a 5w 30 synthetic to see if the slap would go away (which I was already running), no luck. They then said it could be the lifters that were bent from over revving, they replaced the lifters, still slapping. Got a call this afternoon saying they ordered a crate motor and should be at the dealer in 1-2 weeks. Unfortunately i had to give back the loaner car and i'm stuck driving the truck with that horrible noise for a couple weeks. I have to say that the service guys were really good about everything, no questions asked, nothing, almost like they really cared.... Anyway, what’s funny, when the service guy called me, he left a message saying everything about having to replace the motor and ends the message by saying, you have two weeks to have some real fun with your truck, pretty much telling me to pound on it, too bad it sounds so damn *****ty to have any fun with.

I should call the RMV and change my vanity plate from EVLSVT to BROKENSVT

Old 06-22-2001, 09:13 PM
PFA
Question

Lifters?????? Where are the lifters? I'm confused...

Old 06-22-2001, 09:16 PM
i dunno, i'm no gearhead, thats what they told me, hah.

Old 06-22-2001, 09:48 PM
it doesn't have lifters, but it does have hydraulic valve lash adjusters that are pretty similar except that they push on the cam follower instead of a pushrod. I don't see how they thought that was making your noise, but whatever.

later,
chris

Old 06-22-2001, 10:16 PM
I have a '01 with ~3k miles, and have noticed what I'd consider a knocking sound at idle. Could it be slap? Maybe the belt? I checked the archives for "slap" and found that there was a post including a .wav file of the slap. I clicked the link, but got a 404. Does somebody have that file? Or, anyone in the SF Bay Area know the sound, and willing to listen to mine?

Old 06-22-2001, 11:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with superfords. I don't see how anyone who knows what they're talking about could think it's lifter noise. The cams rotate at half the speed the crank does. You should certinly be able to tell that if you know what you're listening to. Piston slap (to me) sounds more like a rattle then a tap but I guess everyone has their own interpretation of what they're listening to.

Old 06-22-2001, 11:59 PM
i'm gonna film a small movie tomorrow and post it so you guys can listen and judge for yourself.

Old 06-23-2001, 12:05 AM
Hey Probie lets go up to the track and blow her up. LOL
I hope the new 2001 engine works out good for you

------------------
http://donf150.tripod.com/Welcome/id6.html

13.11 @ 104MPH

Old 06-23-2001, 12:49 AM
It could be the windshield wiper bearings too! What a joke, I hope a Ford/SVT tech reads this one. If you do please give a course to your service writers about OHV vs. OHC engines.

Quick Reply: Ford is replacing my motor thanks to Mr. Slappy.