Issues with light alignment

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Issues with light alignment

I have had my retrofitted headlights for a while now. I noticed my left light was lower than I'd like and I wanted to aim it up a bit. I went out the other night to one of the dead end roads in my neighborhood and adjusted both lights. The right one was fine but wanted it slightly higher.

When I went to adjust the left light I used the tool and noticed it wasn't really moving and when I started to adjust it, it dropped lower instead of higher. I tried to bring it back up and the metal screw is cheap and really soft metal and the adjustment wrench I used rounded it off when I was trying to bring it back up.

Any suggestions on aiming it back up?

NOTE TO SELF: buy higher quality headlights for retrofit.

Thanks in Advance!

Old 09-29-2013, 04:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to lowes or home depot and get a metric M6 nut I believe and a tube of crazy glue. Thread the nut on, squirt a little glue on the threaded shaft then forward or reverse the nut over the glue and wait. Wait 30 minutes or so to ensure proper bonding. Turning Right or towards the passenger side should lower the light, while turning Left or towards the driver side should raise them. If neither way makes any difference you will need to open the lights to correct the problem.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:12 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you not have the Lisle tool? Its $9. Best thing to use after a retrofit

Old 09-29-2013, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by LTMARK
Go to lowes or home depot and get a metric M6 nut I believe and a tube of crazy glue. Thread the nut on, squirt a little glue on the threaded shaft then forward or reverse the nut over the glue and wait. Wait 30 minutes or so to ensure proper bonding. Turning Right or towards the passenger side should lower the light, while turning Left or towards the driver side should raise them. If neither way makes any difference you will need to open the lights to correct the problem.
THanks Man that's what i'll have to do.

Originally Posted by Raptor05121
Do you not have the Lisle tool? Its $9. Best thing to use after a retrofit

YEP! That's what I was using it was on securely on the bolt and I started using it then it just was spinning. The metal on the rod is super soft on these FLEABAY headlights I used for retrofit

Old 09-29-2013, 08:58 PM

Hm. Mine are holding up.

But I know why- when I got my eBay ones, I took the tabs off the OEMs to maintain alignment. If you still have the OEM lights, you can pop them off and replace them. Sadly its been two years since I've played with mine so I have no idea where they are or I would send you some.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:27 PM
I do the method listed above to every set I retrofit, most people do not have that tool. Plus anyone with an adjustable wrench can adjust them.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:50 PM

Well I did the nut trick and no dice. I went pretty far both ways and nothing happened. I'm guessing that there is an issue with the adjustment on the inside? So am I gonna need to bake them apart and work on adjustment bolt from there?

Trending Topics

Old 10-01-2013, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by Carolinaboy32
Well I did the nut trick and no dice. I went pretty far both ways and nothing happened. I'm guessing that there is an issue with the adjustment on the inside? So am I gonna need to bake them apart and work on adjustment bolt from there?
Yes, on the other end of the bolt is a round head, it would seem that it either was not seated properly when reinstalled after retrofitting, or the clip/nut was cut, cracked, split what have you, and allowed for the adjustment bolt to come off.

Are they aftermarket? If so you can usually just pry them apart as they do not use the permseal that ford does.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:06 PM

Yeah the are from Ebay and pretty cheap, the M6 nut trick worked but as you said I believe the clip is messed up in there.

How hot should I do the lights? The regular 200* and turn off? Or should I be more careful because they are retrofitted?

Old 10-02-2013, 07:39 PM
I would try to just use a pair of screw drivers and pry them apart first, then if that does not work, then move to the oven.

Low temps for 4 minutes, if that's not long enough then increase the time 1 minute at a time nothing over 8

Old 10-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by Carolinaboy32
Yeah the are from Ebay and pretty cheap, the M6 nut trick worked but as you said I believe the clip is messed up in there.

How hot should I do the lights? The regular 200* and turn off? Or should I be more careful because they are retrofitted?
If you were not so far away I would help.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Please invest in a heat gun. eBay heads don't need any heat just start prying away with 1/4" head flat blade screwdriver

Old 10-03-2013, 01:29 AM

Yeah, I pried my fleabay heads apart no problem.

Quick Reply: Issues with light alignment