HELP PLEASE!!! hid projectors flickering then turning off!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 11:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP PLEASE!!! hid projectors flickering then turning off!!!!

i just installed my hid projectors yesterday afternoon and everything seemed to be working great all of last night, today after i turned on my truck within a couple of minutes the one of the lights began to flicker and then it turned off, i would switch between the highs and lows as if to restart the hid and it would work but then a couple of minutes and the other side would turn off!!! i drove around like that for awhile until the hids gave out completely so i had to drive on highs... i restarted the truck and the hids go back on but after a while they turn off again... what might be the problem??? is it the ballast??? i dont think its the wiring cuz for the hids i just plugged everything in and the led halos are working fine...

Old 04-17-2011, 01:52 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
It is your ballast. Who did you order from?

Old 04-17-2011, 03:02 AM
dang bud, you have crappy high beams and now your low beam ballast arent working? lol since you already have the projectors which cut down on some of the glare with hids, check out retro-solutions.com they make quality kits and some have a lifetime warranty.

p.s. if i was you, i would pick up some silverstar or phillips halogen bulbs (or whatever fancy bright halogens are out there) but again, thats just what i would do. lol

Old 04-17-2011, 04:47 PM
i ordered them from jmautoracing.com, and i figured it would be the ballast but it seemed a bit far fetched since i just installed them so i didnt think they would fry... and since they hids are basically plug and play, i knew it wasnt something electrical... if anything i figured the led halos might malfunction since i had to the wiring for that, but fml the ballasts would suck... but why would it be the ballasts??? whats wrong with it???

Old 04-17-2011, 04:53 PM
@ daniel... i wanted to buy a bi-xenon retrofit but i really didnt want to risk doing the retrofitting myself and i didnt want to shell out 300 for kit + 300 for retrofitting for it even though i knew it would be worth it but yeah i think i need to resolve my hid problem with jmautoracing and then buy the highbeam bulbs, if not imma return the ****ty projectors and buy the retrofit kit

Old 04-17-2011, 09:12 PM
the ones you have now can still be useful. if you want hids try one of these. just choose whichever bulbs your head lights use and go from there. there only 45 per kit so they are affordable

Old 04-17-2011, 11:24 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
jmautoracing? the name even sounds ricey. You got cheap chinese ballasts. You pay nothing for them, you get nothing for them. A retro can be had for as low as $200. If you know how to measure and cut it isnt that hard.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:56 PM
well that website was the only one that offered a 2 year warranty so im going to call tomorrow... but i was wondering if maybe i need a relay harness so that the ballasts get enough power :/

Old 04-18-2011, 12:04 AM
getting a relay harness is relatively affordable and will help with such problems if that is whats causing the problem

Quick Reply: HELP PLEASE!!! hid projectors flickering then turning off!!!!