Ground issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ground issue

Having to get my LED lightbar warranted this week after the 4-pin connector corroded and caused the thing to crap out due to the ground going bad.

Pulled the connector apart, and one of the pins broke right off. So, I clipped both ends of the connector off and tried to hardwire it, matched up the colors. Still doesn't work.

So, took it back apart, and cut back into the truck end of the harness a bit further. The ground wire is done for. It's black inside the casing. The other wires are good.

So, my question is, can I just ground the new lightbar elsewhere and run the power leads like normal?

I'm no electrical expert by any means. It's my least favorite part of vehicle mechanics to mess with.

I know it's still getting power, as I checked the hot leads with a multimeter.

The new one, I'm not messing with putting a new 4-pin connector on there(even thought I bought a new one), I'm gonna hardwire it and use heat shrink tubing, then tape the hell out of it to make sure the connection is safe.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-18-2011, 01:18 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah ground it anywhere. Your best bet would be the bumper bolts. Nice, big, unpainted surface is begging to ground things.

Quick Reply: Ground issue