Need a soldiers opinion on dressing up as a soldier on halloween

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a soldiers opinion on dressing up as a soldier on halloween

Im an avid gun owner myself and I do have an opinion on this matter but wanted to see what other people thought. I read on another forum that a guy dressed up as a soldier(navy seal, marine I don't know what branch)for Halloween. He is not in the military but he had AR mag pouches all over him the paint and the whole kit and caboodle along with an handgun on his hip with some spare mags. He was handing out candy and someone said something to the effect of "is that real" and he told them it was and got some weird looks. What do you guys think of a person carrying a weapon as part of their costume? I support the right for a person to carry any way they want open or concealed and I do both myself.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
I don't see the uniform of our Military as a "costume", so you can probably guess where I stand on this. I also think adding a weapon is inappropriate as it contributes to a "stereotype" of the Military as bloodthirsty killers. In my eyes, a (real) weapon is not a "costume accessory".

But, I have no real heartburn over carrying a weapon concealed or otherwise as long at is legal at other times. There are times I would question the judgement of one doing so however.

Edit: I'm a retired Air Force pilot, so I think I qualify as a "soldier".

- Jack

Old 11-01-2011, 11:48 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
^^^ I agree completely. Totally inapproriate.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:58 PM
I was in the Army for 6 1/2 years and I dont see a problem w/ somebody dressing as a soldier for halloween. I think he's an idiot for wearing a real weapon with the costume though. Doesn't matter if it's a firearm, a knife or any other real weapon.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:14 PM
I'm not in the military, but a few years ago me and some friends went out on Halloween and there were a few college students dressed as "dead soldiers". I found that to be quite disrespectful and offensive, as I have great respect for those that served and died for our country. I think unless you want your !@# beat by a real military man its best not to pretend to be one on halloween. Just my opinion.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:16 PM
I think u have no right to dress as a soldier if u have not been or are one!!! There are some who will want to make out that they are somthing that they are not nor will ever be. Carrying any kind of weapon as part of the "costume" is also a big no, no!!! Soldiers fight for there country & it belittles them to dress as one. On a larger "note" & I think the whole halloween thing is a complete bunch of bollocks anyway!!! Its a complete waste of money & serves no purpose at all (the only good thing is the cheap candy in the stores afterwards). I am even more against it in the workplace, many have dressed up etc for halloween & that is even more stupid. Grown adults (supposidly) walking around dressed like a bunch of dumb asses & some of em look & act stupid enough without the costumes!!! If u are gonna have it ITS FOR KIDS, NOT adults!!!! Once u get to being an adult the joke is on u!!!!

Old 11-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GB150
I was in the Army for 6 1/2 years and I dont see a problem w/ somebody dressing as a soldier for halloween. I think he's an idiot for wearing a real weapon with the costume though. Doesn't matter if it's a firearm, a knife or any other real weapon.
So the 2nd amendment is null and void from 8-10pm on Oct 31? I don't see how a change of clothes dictates when your are or are not allowed to protect yourself.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
So the 2nd amendment is null and void from 8-10pm on Oct 31? I don't see how a change of clothes dictates when your are or are not allowed to protect yourself.
I think carrying a real weapon as part of your costume is ridiculous. I have no problem with somebody carrying a wepon. I carry concealed all the time. But I think it's a poor decision to use it as part of a costume.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:23 PM
if the guy wants to carry according to the law, there is no issue. it's that he's trying to show off that is the problem. i've been around guns my whole life and have no fear of them. that said, other people and their missuses of firearms scare the living *@#$ out of me. do i really have to say guns are not toys? really? did i really just have to say that?

Old 11-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I don't think anyone said it was breaking any law, just poor taste and as far as I'm concerned, a little irresponsible. Sets a very poor example for the kids. Very immature in my way of thinking.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:01 PM
If it was like a 10 year old kid dressed as a soldier carrying like one of those dollar tree toy guns, I'd find that acceptable. But for an adult to do it and carry a real weapon just to go with it, I think that's taking it a little far and crossing the line.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:30 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Raptor - please notice I said a real weapon is not a "costume item". It's a serious tool that needs to be accorded the respect it deserves for what it can do and represents. Using one as a costume accessory diminishes it to "toy status", and too many people have gotten hurt or have hurt others when they treated weapons as toys.

- Jack

Old 11-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do we know this guy wasn't joking when he said his weapon was real?

Old 11-02-2011, 01:08 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I was going to chime in on this, but it looks like you guys have covered it pretty well.

The only thing I would add is if you don't understand the difference between a real gun and a toy, then you probably have no business with either one of them. Has nothing to do with 2nd ammendment rights, with rights come responsability.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:12 AM
Originally Posted by pizzaman711
If it was like a 10 year old kid dressed as a soldier carrying like one of those dollar tree toy guns, I'd find that acceptable. But for an adult to do it and carry a real weapon just to go with it, I think that's taking it a little far and crossing the line.
I agree. Nothing pisses me off more than a guy whose 18 and older who acts like he puts on the same uniform I do everyday. It's bullsheep! Grow a pair and earn the right to put the uniform on.

Quick Reply: Need a soldiers opinion on dressing up as a soldier on halloween