Undercover Police Mustang GT - Video

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 01:12 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by code58
.... in the Southern states it's not uncommon to see ONLY BLUE'S in the light bar, front and back.
Yup. Down here our counties and cities have only blue.

Blue = Police
Red/White= Fire/EMS
Purple=Funeral
Amber=Wrecker/Towing
Green=Private Security

Florida is simple. But FHP does have red and blue light bars. Blue is on the left. There is a running joke with us firefighters:

"Why is the lightbar on a cop car blue? So the cop can remember which side to get into"

Old 09-27-2011, 05:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
=JackandJanet;4687137] Still, I think it would be good to "standardize" this kind of thing. It doesn't "cost" anything to do so, and disambiguates police vehicles from others.
- Jack
Jack, I agree they should be standardized. That's not likely to happen though. It is confusing when you travel across the U.S. and see such an insane # of different configurations of lights on Police vehicles. I would be curious to know the exact number of actual legit light combinations. I think we would all be surprised.

Last edited by code58; 09-28-2011 at 05:20 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
Tow trucks typically run amber and blue, which is easily mistaken for red & blues

IIRC [state/gov] emergency vehicles are the only vehicles on the road allowed to have forward facing red lights
Pat, trust me - I can tell amber from red. The case I'm referring to was on a trip and I saw the lights from so great a distance that I couldn't tell what kind of vehicle they were on. And, I think it was in a road construction area (but I might be wrong there). Anyway, I was so surprised when I finally saw what kind of vehicle these lights were on that I remarked on it to my Wife, Stepdaughter and Grandchildren (who were all in the truck with me). I'd NEVER seen a non-police vehicle lit that way.

But anyway, looks like lighting is pretty much whatever each State wants.

- Jack

Old 09-28-2011, 05:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jack, just because there are people occupying the seats from which the shots are called, doesn't necessarily mean they are always qualified, capable, or should be calling those shots. (the decisions they make) True in all areas isn't it?

Old 09-28-2011, 01:45 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
That is pretty flippin slick. I'd love to come play against it Smokey and the Bandit style with hot rodded 6.4L.

Originally Posted by Alex_4.2L
If you think the government wanting more control over our lives is a conspiracy you must be blind.
Holy tinfoil hats.

Adrianspeeder

Old 09-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Impressive set up. A few unmarked popo cruisers are OK. Some real idiots out there on the roads.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:44 PM
Awesome job man!!!

Old 10-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Nice, I would love to have one of those.

I have an 06 Charger, that some of you would hate...
No spot light, no antennaes and standard tag (please don't run the tag, It will get flagged and then you will hafta answer why you ran an unmarked Sheriff's cruiser from Florida...it will come back NOT ON FILE for you that wanna know)... And most of the LED's have a black mesh over it for that steath look.

Sorry if this sound like I'm hijacking your thread, i just hafta get on my soapbox.

The fully unmarked car is an essential part of any traffic enforcement activity. Yes, when marked cars are around, people slow down, then they speed up again. This car was designed and purchased under an aggresive driving grant (most of the lights were donated by a local emergency outfitter so gobs of money wern't spent by the county). Hard to pick out the really aggresive drivers rolling in a bubble gum machine. A marked car has it's place, and so does a unmarked car. After you see an umarked car lit up on the side of the road, it makes you think next time. Peoples driving habits don't change for the mere presence of a marked car.

We also work a lot of complaint areas, and complaints I mean people like you, good, law abiding citizens, that are tired of the speeding up and down your street, or the stop sign runners by your house. The primary goal of traffic enforcement is "Voluntary Compliance", in a perfect world... but as a homeowner, you want something done!!! That 17 year old kid you see everyday running that stop sign, speeding down your street, blasting the stereo, while your kids are on the sidewalk. Now, do you want a marked car there tomorrow, so he slows down, then speeds the next two weeks, or do you send a message... that message can be a warning too, I don't just write tickets.

I'm not gonna quote what everyone said, but if you think an unmarked car is a "Fake Cop", then you should prolly get on the phone with 911, put on your 4-ways, and pull over to a populated place. I have yet to see a grown man scared of being stopped by an unmarked car. Women and teenagers, I understand. Does it happen, yes. We have put several in jail this year alone for this, and most of these guys aren't even driving old Cop Cars, the last one was in a Camry... You have every right to pull to a well lit, populated place, in some rural areas, I don't blame you. Get on the phone and a dispatcher can verify you are being stopped by a real cop. BTW, you cannot be charged with failure to yield to an emergency vehicle if you do this.

As you might think this is a revenue generator, that might be so in some states, but the LE agency does not get the revenue generated by fines. The city, county or state will get a small portion of those funds. I actually researched this a few years ago. For example, a 166 dollar moving violation, (which is a stop sign, traffic control device, driving through the median, etc,) will yield the city/county 25 dollars and change. The rest of the money goes to, just to name a few: Spinal cord research, ER Trauma centers, Wildlife endowment fund, etc. Seem like a lot, but really, I don't write enough tickets to cover the expense of my salary, the car, and gas. So, traffic is not a money maker where I work. Now, Red light camera's, I gotta say I am opposed to red light cameras. These are money makers, for some. Again, red light camera money stays with the city or county, LE agency see's none of that. Some agencies took them down, becuse they wern't making, but losing money.

Now your gonna say, your budget gets bigger next year with all those tickets you write...wish it was true. Four years ago, we had a 270 million dollar budget, with all the budget cuts and reduction in personnel, we are at 180 million... So, writing tickets doesn't hold water when it comes to the Board of County Commisioners to approve your budget. I havn't had a raise in 4 years, and recently, thaks to Gov Rick Scott, had to contribute 3% of my pay to my retirement. Now I make 3% less than I did 4 years ago.

The pusification already took affect in Georgia, all patrol and traffic cars are marked and since 2002 all cars must have lightbars, unless it's GSP... State law...I was a cop there too.

Sorry this rant was a little long, but maybe, just maybe, it cleared up any confusions. Feel free to ask me any questions, I'm not the typical mirrored sunglass, big mustache, just the facts cop. Maybe i should start an ASK A COP thread...unless it's been done.

OK, on the photos... see more at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/20960

the only giveaway are the mirror beams ,and the newer Whelen led fog lights, the older fog lights looked like, well, foglights. The newer ones are dual colored, i don't think i have a pic of it lit up.

You can see the newer fog lights here, and I recently had the silver wheel covers painted satin black.

Here's a pic with the old style fog lights.

On the hitch, there are two more Blue Whelen on the outboard side, again, mesh covered.

Hard to see through the tint when turned off.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Florida doesn't have a "failure to yield" law anyways. Lights/sirens are just asking permission to yield, it does not give you right-of-way.

Pretty sweet car. A little overkill on the lights, IMO. I've been on two calls where a motorist plowed into the back of a cop car because of the "mothball effect" of their lights. Whatever happened to the olden days with two blue rotators? IIRC Sho-Me has a light bar that operates at half brightness at night, they really need those here.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:34 PM
lol wut?

Old 10-03-2011, 07:37 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
That charger is sweet

Old 10-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I like it.

Nice work. Very nice work...

Quick Reply: Undercover Police Mustang GT - Video