Anyone ever use the 'gas bandit blocker' fuel fill thing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone ever use the 'gas bandit blocker' fuel fill thing?

It seems simple enough and not likely to cause problems, but have you ever used one and do you see any potential for trouble with this thing? The idea is, you push it into your fuel filler tube with a screwdriver and then it won't come out. It's to prevent someone from siphoning your gas. I know you could get a lockable gas cap, but that's a pain in the neck to unlock all the time and it doesn't have the holder to keep it out of the way like the factory cap. Ok, the lockable one may prevent someone from dumping something bad in your tank to screw with you, but honestly...how likely is that? I don't live in a bad place and I don't often get even close to questionable neighborhoods except on vacations if I can't avoid it...but I wouldn't likely be staying overnight in a shady place.

Anyway, here's the item I mentioned. What do you think?

http://www.gasbanditblocker.com/

Old 12-28-2010, 11:02 AM
Interesting but people around here have had there filler neck cut and siphon inserted through the cut filler neck. I have even heard of people drilling tanks to get fuel out of them.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:04 AM
Wow. Maybe this isn't such a good idea after all. I also worry about what happens if it doesn't go down far enough and the little trap door in there gets stuck on the gas bandit thing. That would be a problem.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Suspended
Aren't most vehicles now-a-days equiped with measures to prevent syphoning right from the factory? I'd believe that's why people resort to cutting the filler neck now.

If they want your gas, they'll try and take it whatever way they can. I got hit once in a place you'd never think someone would try it (Nice business community). They did all sorts of damage just to walk away with no fuel. (Cut my filler neck, stole/chucked my gas cap, cut the fuel line and gouged the tank.) Unless you armor the whole fuel system, there's no full-proof way to ensure it won't be damaged in a fuel theft attempt.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dlenkewich
Aren't most vehicles now-a-days equiped with measures to prevent syphoning right from the factory? I'd believe that's why people resort to cutting the filler neck now.

If they want your gas, they'll try and take it whatever way they can. I got hit once in a place you'd never think someone would try it (Nice business community). They did all sorts of damage just to walk away with no fuel. (Cut my filler neck, stole/chucked my gas cap, cut the fuel line and gouged the tank.) Unless you armor the whole fuel system, there's no full-proof way to ensure it won't be damaged in a fuel theft attempt.
Yes, most vehicles have anti-siphoning design built into them.
Just like a padlock though, in that it will only keep honest people honest..

Old 12-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by dsq3973
Interesting but people around here have had there filler neck cut and siphon inserted through the cut filler neck. I have even heard of people drilling tanks to get fuel out of them.
They use screwdrivers or ice pix here in Danxville. They aren't too particular as long as they get the fuel.

I put a locking 'fuel plug' on my XLT and it's really no hassle. Doesn't have to be screwed on like most lockers and I toss it on the bed cover while fueling. I did it to keep out debris that makes it's way past the fuel door.

Last edited by High-ster; 12-28-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I didn't know they still made those. That's right outa the 60's. Problem is that all you have to do is push it on into the gas tank and now you can have all the gas in the tank. A lot of folks carried dowel rods with them just in case.... yeah, right! Mostly worthless on the newer cars/trucks.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah around here, they just go under the truck with a screwdriver. Less likely to be spotted and easier to do.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever use the 'gas bandit blocker' fuel fill thing?