Trail Cam pic from Versailles, MO - What do you see here?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SleepyMax
I overlayed the deer pic on top of the cat pic. I then cut out pieces of the deer pic to show that the two pictures are damn near perfectly aligned. I also played with the contrast around the cat in question and removed the red letters by the cat's face.

That is one big cat.

Also, for comparison...

No way the cat on the trail is a bobcat. Facial features are all wrong.
Thanks man!

I think the face is just too long for it to be a bobcat.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:29 AM

Cougar/Mountain Lion. Look at the enlongated forehead. They've been spotted in KS, too.

http://bigcatrescue.blogspot.com/200...s-confirm.html

Old 11-06-2009, 12:03 PM
I looks to similar to a cougar/ mountain lion. No way its a bobcat. Reminds me of this cougar my uncle had as a pet named taz he was a smaller mountain lion probably only like 100 pounds and we would feed him deer and he would go to town on them. Have you seen any remains in the woods from animals that he may have fed on?

Old 11-06-2009, 12:12 PM

No my buddy just bought the land a month ago. I don't think he has really walked around too much. He is a hunter so I'm sure he's not tromping around too much so he dosen't jack up the fall deer hunting.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Whatcha got there is a full blown male cougar. The females don't get that big. If they run like they do down here, expect to not see him for about 2 weeks and then start looking again. Their range is huge and a 40 mile loop is about normal here. You need to scout the area and look for an odd brush pile that is high and can over look a larger than usual area. This is where you'll want to hunt him if you decide to hunt him. Cougars will always go to a high place where they can see distance to rest. They don't bury up in brush like a lot of other animals. These cats will also kill for sport and if their are cattle or sheep in the area it's common for one cat to kill up to 35 animals at one time and only carry off one. That's why ranchers hate them so bad. You might also check with the local Animal Damage Control Unit (under Dept of Agriculture) in yer area. They can advise you in regards to if hunting this cat is legal. Some areas are designated as a no hunt zone for cats. I have one about 20 miles south of the ranch. Doesn't stop the ranchers there from killing them but they also burn the carcass to eliminate evidence. Fines are hefty.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:30 PM

Yep, It's illegal here too. You can only kill them if they are on private property and you feel that your life or property is in direct danger.

Thanks for the info, I'll forward it on to my friend.

He's already contacted the local conservation department and they say it's a bobcat.

I guess there is some other Mt. Lion response team(?) that is still looking at the pics. They have not confirmed or denied anything as far as I know.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:37 PM

There appear to be two animals. The one near the center and the one near the "L".
A co-worker who is an avid hunter believes they're wolves.
Cougars aren't pack animals, they're territorial, so it wouldn't let another animal remain near it.
A wolf is the right size, color, etc.

My .02

Old 11-06-2009, 12:41 PM

I don't see a wolf at all. There are two animals there that's for sure.

I have seen two bobcats together. More than once.

Not sure if they have the same habits as cougars though.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kansasflareside
Chupacabra. Run while you still can.
this

Old 11-06-2009, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by Labnerd
Whatcha got there is a full blown male cougar. The females don't get that big. If they run like they do down here, expect to not see him for about 2 weeks and then start looking again. Their range is huge and a 40 mile loop is about normal here. You need to scout the area and look for an odd brush pile that is high and can over look a larger than usual area. This is where you'll want to hunt him if you decide to hunt him. Cougars will always go to a high place where they can see distance to rest. They don't bury up in brush like a lot of other animals. These cats will also kill for sport and if their are cattle or sheep in the area it's common for one cat to kill up to 35 animals at one time and only carry off one. That's why ranchers hate them so bad. You might also check with the local Animal Damage Control Unit (under Dept of Agriculture) in yer area. They can advise you in regards to if hunting this cat is legal. Some areas are designated as a no hunt zone for cats. I have one about 20 miles south of the ranch. Doesn't stop the ranchers there from killing them but they also burn the carcass to eliminate evidence. Fines are hefty.
I lived in KC, MO for 5 years, and just before I moved down here, to SE KS, a lady hit a cougar on I-435. The Dept of Conservation, or whatever it's called in MO, refuses to acknowledge that there are cougars/mountain lions in MO, just like here in KS. Since there are "Officially" no animals in either state, there is no hunting of them either. I would imagine if one were killed, they would confiscate it, and possibly fine the hunter. There have been numerous sightings in KS, and I have seen one while deer hunting a few years ago out by Ellsworth, KS. The guy I was with at first thought it was a coyote, until he saw the tail, and realized what it was. It was a LARGE one too. You could not get it mounted, as any taxidermist would need to see the "Permit" for harvesting it, and since there is no season, no permit. That is no doubt a mountain lion/cougar/puma.

Last edited by Timberdoodles; 11-06-2009 at 05:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-06-2009, 05:53 PM
MO Conservation denies that there are any cougars in the state... That's a bunch of bull. My boss has seen one on his property, and a professor of mine here at school hit one with her truck. And they don't know each other...

Old 11-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
There are no bears in Texas despite a Senators gardener being attacked by one in the yard. There are lots of political issues with recognizing that a specific carnivore lives in your state. Don't be surprised when the folks come back to you with every answer but Cougar. Almost all states have Gov't paid trappers and having these animals as a recognized specie presents issues. If a trapper should trap and kill one, he would be up on Federal charges which opens a Pandora's box of issues. So to eliminate the problem, they chose to not recognize the population despite pictures, movies, etc. But if the state of Mo does not recognize the population, then you are free to kill it. But be aware that you can't parade it around town in the back of yer truck or take it to a local taxidermy. But you can ship the hide out of state for tanning and hang it in yer house along with a fabulous story.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Ok, for you photoshop geeks...
I (obviously) cropped the pics, boosted the Hue to +180, boosted the Saturation to +36, and reduced Lightness to -40.
Layered them all and made an animated gif.

The animal at the bottom right of the images looks like a cougar to me. The one in the middle of the images is either another cougar, or something else that is suicidal. I can't imagine any predator letting something other than its own species trail it like that.

efuehrin, download this zip file and send it to your friend...
http://www.sleepymax.com/images/misc/coug/cat_pix.zip

Old 11-08-2009, 03:58 AM
At first wasn't seeing the cat at all but then saw Sleepymax's edit and did. That is def a cougar. For a while there it looked like a turtle walking upright on 2 legs...away from the camera. Man that was like one of those pics you have to stare at til you saw the figure hidden in it.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:43 AM
I say cougar in the first two pics....third one,,undecided

Quick Reply: Trail Cam pic from Versailles, MO - What do you see here?