what happened to country music?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 12:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigWayne
Jamey Johnson is awesome, I like the whole album and that's rare anymore.

BW
I agree his whole album is good. He is one of the few "newer" country artist I really like.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by rabbit hunter
I agree his whole album is good. He is one of the few "newer" country artist I really like.
Jamey Johnson isn't new. I can't stand that in color song. I like what the song is about and everything but but its just annoying when he sings the in color verse. Idk the old stuff is alright like merle Haggard but i didnt grow up on haggard or cash, i grew up on george strait and this era of country music and 90's country like Dwight Yoakom

Old 06-18-2009, 09:11 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Dwight Yoakom is one of my favorites. Try Ryan Bingham and Bleu Edmondson. Hays Caryl. They have some music on their sites and some youtube videos.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Dwight Yoakom is one of my favorites. Try Ryan Bingham and Bleu Edmondson. Hays Caryl. They have some music on their sites and some youtube videos.
Yea i always liked Dwight Yoakom. I guess he's a movie star now?

Old 06-18-2009, 11:33 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by 95'F-150
Yea i always liked Dwight Yoakom. I guess he's a movie star now?
He's made some movies, not sure I would call him a star. He was very good in Slingblade, I thought, but he produced and starred in one several years ago. Something about "Hell", a western. I bought it, and even I could not finish it.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:50 AM
Jamey Johnson isn't new. I can't stand that in color song. I like what the song is about and everything but but its just annoying when he sings the in color verse. Idk the old stuff is alright like merle Haggard but i didnt grow up on haggard or cash, i grew up on george strait and this era of country music and 90's country like Dwight Yoakom
He's definitely geared more for the folks like me that grew up on Haggard, Jennings, Cash, Nelson, Coe and the like. Something about that old country twang that I really dig. On the same hand I'm a huge fan of George Strait, Garth Brooks, the old school Brooks and Dunn...etc.

On a side note, the new "Country Fusion" makes me want to

BW

Last edited by BigWayne; 06-18-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:18 PM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
All I had to listen to when I was growing up was Hank Sr., Hank Thompson, George Jones, Tammy Wynette, Kitty Wells, Ernest Tubb, Elvis, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins. Jerry Lee Lewis, Conway and Loretta, Faron Young, Charlie Rich, Charlie Pride, Eddie Rabbit, Eddie Arnold and many others. Today's bunch can't come close.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:20 PM
Notice I said "newer" im not talking like just signed a record label 2 weeks ago, or the latest Idol winner. Ive listened to Jamey for awhile now since somewhere around 04-05. Basically what I meant is he is one of the few people I can still listen to that they play on local country stations. He is also awesome to see live, and hear some of his stories.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by PawPaw
All I had to listen to when I was growing up was Hank Sr., Hank Thompson, George Jones, Tammy Wynette, Kitty Wells, Ernest Tubb, Elvis, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins. Jerry Lee Lewis, Conway and Loretta, Faron Young, Charlie Rich, Charlie Pride, Eddie Rabbit, Eddie Arnold and many others. Today's bunch can't come close.
I played drums through high school (80s) in my Dad and Uncle's country band. This is the music we used to play and made damn good money doing it. I would work after school as a cook at the local Moose restaurant and then play Saturday night's in the band. I quit playing in a rock band about 5 years ago. Played in that band for 4 or 5 years. Never made half the money a night that I did playing country.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:22 PM
Def Leppard sucked in the '80s and '90s, and they still suck.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by rabbit hunter
Notice I said "newer" im not talking like just signed a record label 2 weeks ago, or the latest Idol winner. Ive listened to Jamey for awhile now since somewhere around 04-05. Basically what I meant is he is one of the few people I can still listen to that they play on local country stations. He is also awesome to see live, and hear some of his stories.
Jamey Johnson isn't even "newer". He's been around for a long time. Just looked it up, I actually thought he was around in the 90's but his first album was released in 02. Self released that is but thats 7 years he's been around none-the-less.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Global Moderator &

You want to hear the Old Time country music sound from a current artist, check out James Hand.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Brian Burns has some pretty good stuff out, mostly remakes but still good. I still like to listen to Johnny Paycheck and David Alan Coe.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:18 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by PawPaw
Brian Burns has some pretty good stuff out, mostly remakes but still good. I still like to listen to Johnny Paycheck and David Alan Coe.
Brian Burs has a lot of original stuff too. A lot of it is historical. He has a concert he does at schools as a history lesson. Some good songs.

I still like Gary Stewart.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Brian Burs has a lot of original stuff too. A lot of it is historical. He has a concert he does at schools as a history lesson. Some good songs.

I still like Gary Stewart.
I like the remake of the Edmond Fitzgerald that Gordon Lightfoot did, and yes Gary Stewart has some good songs out also.

Quick Reply: what happened to country music?