How to stop an addiction

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 05:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by referee54

1. I guess I look at it this way; If I was a true friend, and my friend was engaging in an unhealthy or possibly dangerous lfestyle, should I just keep my mouth shut or should I, as a true friend, bring this up with them and discuss it with them from the standpoint of one who cares for them?

Granted, it may not do any good, but, while you urge people to accept somebody for who they are---do not we have an obligation as a true friend to speak truthfully about what a friend may be doing to themselves---or to others, as well? True friends do not turn a blind eye one what could be possibly dangerous or harmful activity...

2. If there is an addiction involved, and it is harful to the addict and to others, shouldn't somebody stand up and say something?

TSC

1st point: But that's not the way we're looking at it. Yeah if it's dangerous or harmful then you should try and help out, but without extreme measures. We're assuming that it's not causing any imminent danger to their well being or health.

2. Yes you're right, but as of now I don't see any harm being done. So what's the problem? Just because your beliefs aren't the same doesn't mean she's causing harm to you.. I also wouldn't try and push any of my own personal beliefs onto her either.

You changed the constants in the question so you could manipulate your own response. Read it again carefully.

Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
Yes. But so far nothing has been said as to whether or not this lady's smoking habit is hurting anyone (other than the OP).

If she's got her ducks in a row and chooses to smoke, that's her choice.

- NCSU
Exactly. (You posted while I was typing lol.)

Old 01-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Suspended
The brain is very complex...when you screw with it by adding outside and foreign chemicals to it, you are gonna pay for it in the long run.

If you potheads wanna fry your melon...you have my blessing. But if a pothead ever runs into my vehicle when my daughter is in riding with me...they are gonna end up paying with their life. Justice will be had, and I am not making idle threats...I just get a little sick of the alcoholics and potheads in this forum that THINK they have a right to endanger others lives "because they can handle it"...

Old 01-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Here's the way I see it---an alcoholic is a person who needs alcohol to perform their daily routines---they are not wobbling drunks...trust me on this; I umped a baseball game with a man who later confessed that he couldn't remember it--he was in the middle of a blackout. (BTW---he did a great job.)

It APPEARS TO ME that this lady needs to smoke grass as a method of dealing with her daily routine. Yes, I may be wrong about this, but it appears, the way her weed use is described, to be more than just "recreational", correct?

If she needs the weed to perform her daily tasks, then it may be emotionally unhealthy, as she is depending on something to use as a crutch to help her with these routines.

I did take a graduate class on chemical dependency counselling, and it does appear, as I have said, that the manner in which she consumes the grass is beyond "recreational" and is, if she has done so already,approaching the addictive level.

That is how I see it,

Tim C.

Last edited by referee54; 01-07-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by Shinesintx
The brain is very complex...when you screw with it by adding outside and foreign chemicals to it, you are gonna pay for it in the long run.

If you potheads wanna fry your melon...you have my blessing. But if a pothead ever runs into my vehicle when my daughter is in riding with me...they are gonna end up paying with their life. Justice will be had, and I am not making idle threats...I just get a little sick of the alcoholics and potheads in this forum that THINK they have a right to endanger others lives "because they can handle it"...

I agree, I think. If you are saying "Do what you want, but dont do it around me," I can whole heartedly agree. As with any action that has potential to impact others, you damn well better be responsible with it.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:37 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by solomonHk
I agree, I think. If you are saying "Do what you want, but dont do it around me," I can whole heartedly agree. As with any action that has potential to impact others, you damn well better be responsible with it.
Yep, I am saying "Do as you will (potheads/alcoholics), but don't do it around me."

But in the REAL world, that ain't how it works is it?

In 2007, an estimated 12,998 people died in alcohol-impaired traffic crashes involving a driver with an illegal BAC (.08 or greater). These deaths constitute 31.7 percent of the 41,059 total traffic fatalities in 2007
I wonder what percentage of deaths the potheads cause.

Sorry, I have no compassion for those that cause others pain and suffering.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by D's984x4
I have a very very close friend who cant go through a day without smoking weed every couple hours... she wakes up and smokes, smokes at her lunch break, smokes before dinner and before she goes to bed. I hate seeing her ruin herself over this. She does have alot of problems and I understand that she smokes to get rid of the stress she has but honestly who doesnt have stress? She does have some problems with family and health issues and I have tried helping her realize she can deal with her problems other ways...but she wont listen and is very stubborn about it. I know some say you cant get addicted to weed but she gets very mad and very bitchy when she does not get her high and wont stop till she does, Its almost like she cant function without it. Anyway, I just was wondering if anyone has been through anything like this and what they did? For now I have done the smartest thing possible and stopped talking to her and I'm trying to let her go but I feel that there is a way to help her. And please no negative responds or making fun of it...Its an emotional subject for me. Thanks guys, Hope your having a better night than I am.

D
This use of grass seems to be way beyond recreational---from my point of view---she reminds me of several of my recovering friends who had stashes hid so that they could have access to them throughout the day.

Check some of the questions about addiction---one of them deals with drinking/using to deal with stress or to perform daily tasks.

If she is smoking this much, one has to admit that it is not really healthy for somebody.

TSC

Last edited by referee54; 01-07-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:44 PM
I look at it this way---a good friend of mine is a recovering alcoholic---he has been sober now almost 20 years...God Bless him---but; he says---if you have an addictive problem that interferes with your life, you job, or the lives of others, you have a PROBLEM. He goes on to say: The definition of a 'drinking problem' is if you drink, and it causes a problem, you have a drinking problem---even if you drink only one time a year."

If this lady is smoking so much grass that it is interfering with her life, her job, or others' abilities to work or to function,then she has a problem. Alcohol isn't crack , meth, or H---but it is the most abused chemical there is---how many lives have been ruined simply by alcohol? If you look at it that it is only a beer, or a shot of Jack, or whatever---then it isn't a cesspool, right? But how many people have gotten their lived f'ed up---or other lives f'ed up, by saying, "Its only just alcohol?"

We have to get away from the "Its only" attitude and look at what is happening...not that "It is only" something...but that "its only something" can have devastating effects on people , their lives, and the lives of those around them.

Trust me, as an educator, and as a family member, I have seen too many lives of people f'ed up by alcohol and other stuff---and all they kept saying was, "Its only..." Too many funerals of students killed. One of my former students just died from an H OD...(Just last week.)

TSC
Is it a problem for her, though? It's not alcohol, and while there is a psychological addiction (that may be harder to break than a physical addiction), we do not know if it interferes with her job, her life, other's abilities to perform their work, anything like that. Obviously, she doesn't feel like she has a problem, and if it isn't hurting anyone else (not counting people who think they know better for her than she does), then it is really none of their business.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the post...It was the best laugh that I have had in a while.
Where did you come from ??

Everything I said in there I agree with 100%. Prove me otherwise. We have a different forum to discuss this far more appropriately.

Hey, Mercedes Tech---a partial quote by you:

Anyways, I played nice, now let me ask you a question. Why is it bad ? Because YOU don't agree with it ? If your truly a friend, why try and change someone ? Accept them for who they are, or move on. Why push your beliefs and opinions on someone else ? Why is it bad to smoke ? If she smokes all the time, but isn't hurting anyone, whats the deal ? If she can keep her job, keep her family, and still enjoy her life, why change it ? You have the right to choose not to smoke, shouldn't she be able to choose to burn ?

I guess I look at it this way; If I was a true friend, and my friend was engaging in an unhealthy or possibly dangerous lifestyle, should I just keep my mouth shut or should I, as a true friend, bring this up with them and discuss it with them from the standpoint of one who cares for them?

Granted, it may not do any good, but, while you urge people to accept somebody for who they are---do not we have an obligation as a true friend to speak truthfully about what a friend may be doing to themselves---or to others, as well? True friends do not turn a blind eye one what could be possibly dangerous or harmful activity...

If there is an addiction involved, and it is harful to the addict and to others, shouldn't somebody stand up and say something?

TSC
I see your point, and understand where your coming from. I agree !

The part we don't see eye to eye is on the hurtful part. Yes, if your friend is doing something hurtful to themself (like alcohol, like cigs, like self mutilation, etc etc etc) then its a different story. Some chick who wants to smoke.... well, welcome to the real world. Most teens will smoke. Some will go through a phase where they smoke very often, and lots at a time. This will pass, as you gain maturity. just like binge drinking. When your young, its the thing to do. See how much you can drink. As you get older, you change. (yes, not everyone drinks, good for you guys. Using this as an example to get a point across).

Pot can't cause bodily harm. In fact a doctor said:

After being in the medical field for about 60 years as a student, Professor and patient, I know of only one medicine – marijuana/cannabis which is not dangerous or lethal and can also be used safely with almost any other medicine.
Its a very famous doc, here is a link:
http://www.salem-news.com/articles/j...t_2_1-5-09.php

Many other docs feel this way. Last I checked, they had far more knowledge of the body then ANY of us, or any number of us combined.

Like I said, what I see here (and yes, I am assuming) is a kid and a girl. Girl like to burn. Guy doesn't. He wants her to change for him, she doesn't. I don't buy the whole "turning to pot" BS. You don't smoke to "get away". You smoke because you enjoy the high.

Hey, at least its not prostitution, crack, speed, booze, pills, cutting herself, etc etc etc etc. This is one of the least hurtful vices out there IMO.

Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
Yes. But so far nothing has been said as to whether or not this lady's smoking habit is hurting anyone (other than the OP).

If she's got her ducks in a row and chooses to smoke, that's her choice.

If I had to discuss every unhealthy or possibly dangerous lifestyle choice with each of my friends, I would have quit my day job and schedule appointments for everyone! And all of my friends are college graduates with good jobs!

- NCSU
EXACTLY !!!!

And I couldn't imagine playing "Mom" with all my friends. Use common sense. Pot = not bad. Barely able to stand up, and wanting to drive his new M3 as fast as he can = BAD. Slight difference.

Sad thing is, common sense aint so common.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:49 PM

2001 Total Deaths: 2,416,425
Cannabis Related Deaths: 138

So approximately 0.000057109% of total deaths.

They have everything broken down into different types and causes of deaths, but they leave out any categories in which there were no cannabis related fatalities.
Source: http://www.briancbennett.com/charts/...ot-related.htm

Old 01-07-2009, 05:49 PM

I agree to a point...If someone is so stoned that they cannot function, they do not need to be operating a vehicle or anything that could put other people in danger. But that's not just alcoholics or potheads, accidents happen, and if one does and someone just happens to be high at the time (if being high did not cause the accident), then you would be wrongfully blaming the drug for the outcome. The same thing could be said about people who drive and put on make up, text, chat on the cellphone, drink a Dr. Pepper, reach for a cd, fight with their TomTom, just plain don't pay attention, the list goes on and on. Pot isn't the root of all evil. I am sure that you have made mistakes while driving, too. Driving impaired is never right under any circumstances, but there are plenty of things that could cause someone to run into your vehicle, and you aren't exactly threatening to kill an old lady who is messing with her hair when she is driving. If someone uses pot and is not impaired but hits you anyway, what right do have to give a damn if the pot didn't cause the accident?

Old 01-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Yep, I am saying "Do as you will (potheads/alcoholics), but don't do it around me."

But in the REAL world, that ain't how it works is it?

There is a PSA commercial here that says that marijuana is detected in 1/3 of all accidents (in recent years).
We have no way of knowing what % of people drive high without an accident, because they usually aren't tested unless the need to be arises. This also doesn't say how many were actually impaired because of marijuana, or what percentage were also falling down drunk or on another drug at the time. It's a broad blanket statement, aka propoganda, because marijuana is illegal, and our laboratories cannot even have it to run tests with it, so we have no actual test data to back up any statement made about it. Here's what I get from the PSA commercial, though. 33% of all accidents (at least here) involve marijuana (not necessarily caused by it, but it is present). That means that 66% of all accidents do not invole marijuana. Does this mean it is statistically safer to drive when marijuana is present in your system?
Sorry, not trying to fight with you, Shines, I am just taking up for the average casual user (which I haven't been in years) who doesn't cause problems yet is the first man stoned (pun intended) by people who live in glass houses themselves.

Last edited by Pickup Man; 01-07-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
Where did you come from ?? Sad thing is, common sense aint so common.
EXACTLY!
Stupid is much more harmful to one's self and others than any drug.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:05 PM

Do you just watch "Reefer Madness" over and over ? telling yourself thats the truth ?

I am sure some lame pot head like Bill Gates fried his brain. just happened to come up with "something" and it worked.... huh ?

How about all the profesional athletes, who smoked and became succesful ? Threw their life away, huh ?

Have family that have smoked since they were 12-13 everyday. Now at 60+ they are doing JUST fine ! and yes, still smoking. Memory is better then mine ! Still a sharp SOB.

Also, its been shown to reduce the risk of cancer.

So, other then being a miracle drug, whatcha got against it ? I promise you, I can drive just fine while stoned. I have passed many a sobreity checks, while high. I have even gone through high speed vehicle training, while high, and scored 4th best in a class of 24. Not too bad. Some of those guys can move QUICK though ! I knew the guy who took 2nd. Don't think he was stoned, but he is a stoner.

Has nothing to do with "not handling it" Some people smoke so they can eat, and LIVE. I guess you think they should just die off. You going to argue with some guy in a wheel chair ? telling him he can't smoke ? What if it makes his life worth living ? Takes away the pain without the side effect of the pills. Others smoke simply because they enjoy it. Plain and simple. They like it. Its fun. How is it endangering ANYONE ?????????????

I suggest taking a step outta 1960 and stepping in to the year 2009 ! Welcome aboard !

So what say you, mr. holier then thou ???

(see how long this thread lasts)

Old 01-07-2009, 06:08 PM
Take a look at it this way...let's say that I get up in the morning, and to get myself ready for the day ahead, I take about 4-6 ozs of Jack or Jim or Seagrams VO---and, at lunch, I do the same---just to get me through the afternoon. Then, I get home, have another 4-6 ozs of liquor---and, at night, to help me relax, and go to sleep, I do the same. I can perform my job, and I do not bother others...but, am I actually living a healthy lifestyle, or am I dependent on something? Is my lifestyle actually healthy? That is my concern.

Isn't she doing the same thing? You may argue that it is only pot, etc...but in the end, is she not dependant on something to help her---and, in the end,is this an unhealthy way to live her life?

TSC

Last edited by referee54; 01-07-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:08 PM
check out this:

http://www.salem-news.com/articles/j...t_2_1-5-09.php

After being in the medical field for about 60 years as a student, Professor and patient, I know of only one medicine – marijuana/cannabis which is not dangerous or lethal and can also be used safely with almost any other medicine.
- Dr. Leveque

But I am sure you know far more Shines.

Quick Reply: How to stop an addiction