How to stop an addiction

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1st4x4
good luck. My cousin died of an OD. .
What the **** how did he do that? You can't OD on weed. Maybe smoke inhalation but that's not the same thing.

But back to the main topic I don't really see the problem...
MercedesTech has pretty valid points all around in my eye.

Also don't be a b**** and turn her in, hell after that I wouldn't even consider you a good friend at all. She'll probably never forgive you and she'll just go straight back to it the second she gets home.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:23 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Do you guys know that thc, unlike most other drugs, is not water soluble. It is fat soluble. Most of the thc goes into your brain cells and cloud your judgment, literally. The half life of one joint is 3 days, or it takes 3 days for half of the thc in one marijuana cigarette to leave your body. For it to get totally out of your system is 21 days. For one beer the half life is a half hour and is totally out of your system in 2 hours.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:53 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Interesting thread. I myself am a recovering alcoholic. 19 years clean and sober. Back in the day I did it all smoked my fair share of weed but I never really got into it. Made me lazy and paranoid. All I ever wanted to do was eat and sleep when I smoked it so it really wasnt my thing.
Your friend likely has a chemical imbalance and is self medicating. Many people who are bipolar become pot heads. It keeps them mellow so they like it.
Drugs and alcohal are a big problem in my family. My 26 year old nephew just died last week from complications of alcohal induced pancreassites. I've also watched close old friends fall to it.
My advice is that you stear clear of this girl. She's going to have issues that drag the people around her down including you.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:30 AM
Originally Posted by Gotts2BMe
Do you guys know that thc, unlike most other drugs, is not water soluble. It is fat soluble. Most of the thc goes into your brain cells and cloud your judgment, literally. The half life of one joint is 3 days, or it takes 3 days for half of the thc in one marijuana cigarette to leave your body. For it to get totally out of your system is 21 days. For one beer the half life is a half hour and is totally out of your system in 2 hours.
THC doesn't stay in an active state usually for more that 4 or 5 hours depending on dosage. What it does after it's initial ingestion is get formed into metabolites or like you said, being fat soluble, and is no longer THC. Now the thing is that after that period of time there's pretty much no more THC. Proof being is that the way a drug test determines a positive or negative reading for marijuana is detecting these certain types of metabolites, not THC. Acid is fat soluble too, but it gets stored in fat in its active form which causes people to trip years later even if they don't use anymore. Weed can't do this because of the gradual way that metabolites are filtered from the body and turned into waste.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:02 AM
You know I understand theres mixed emotions on this issue. I had a ****er in my unit who was a NCO, he smoked weed everyday. He pissed hot on drug tests everyday and nothing was done because they needed him. The sob nearly rolled a M113 with 6 soldiers (including me) in it, just because he was higher than a kite and pissed off at the world. I think if you can handle your habits then you should do so as much as you want by all means. Forget programs to help people who were mind altered when they did crimes, no one forced it on them burn em! But for the folks who do it with a good head, and for health by all means.
BTW I never said I would do that to a friend setting them up in anyway, I just simply gave him a suggestion cause he asked.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:36 AM
Oh look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46Ek833hlFw

They did and LD-50 overdose test on rats and if you extrapolate, to die as a direct result of smoking pot you'd have to smoke 1,500lbs in 15 minutes.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Strikeswiftly
You know I understand theres mixed emotions on this issue. I had a ****er in my unit who was a NCO, he smoked weed everyday. He pissed hot on drug tests everyday and nothing was done because they needed him. The sob nearly rolled a M113 with 6 soldiers (including me) in it, just because he was higher than a kite and pissed off at the world. I think if you can handle your habits then you should do so as much as you want by all means. Forget programs to help people who were mind altered when they did crimes, no one forced it on them burn em! But for the folks who do it with a good head, and for health by all means.
BTW I never said I would do that to a friend setting them up in anyway, I just simply gave him a suggestion cause he asked.
Off topic, but is the M113 the bradley?

Old 01-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by Arca_ex
What the **** how did he do that? You can't OD on weed. Maybe smoke inhalation but that's not the same thing.

i'm pretty sure he was sayin his cousin died of a drug overdose, not necessarily from weed but some other drug(s)..

Old 01-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Penguin86
My oldest brother and my sister smoke pot every day, i swear they are high 24/7. Nothing i do or say will ever make a difference so I just quit trying. I couldn't imagine calling the cops on them either...it wouldn't solve anything and heck i doubt the cops around here would do anything anyways..it's pretty pathetic.
That may be because smoking pot isn't harming them any worse than breathing second-hand cigarette smoke or normal carcinogens in the air that they get everywhere everyday and they aren't hurting anyone by doing so.
The other drugs, that's an issue, but pot? Sheesh, people are really going overboard with hate for marijuana.
Don't fear the reefer.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by referee54
You can call the cops, whatever, but until she hits rock bottom and realizes that she has a problem (and not that everybody else has a problem with her) nothing can help her. No amount of counseling, etc---until she herself absolutely looks at herself in the mirror and realizes that she is in a cesspool of ****, nothing can help her out.
Honestly, though, is smoking weed really the same as being in a cesspool of ****? She isn't on crack, at the worst she will be forgetful and eat a lot.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by Pickup Man
Honestly, though, is smoking weed really the same as being in a cesspool of ****? She isn't on crack, at the worst she will be forgetful and eat a lot.
I look at it this way---a good friend of mine is a recovering alcoholic---he has been sober now almost 20 years...God Bless him---but; he says---if you have an addictive problem that interferes with your life, you job, or the lives of others, you have a PROBLEM. He goes on to say: The definition of a 'drinking problem' is if you drink, and it causes a problem, you have a drinking problem---even if you drink only one time a year."

If this lady is smoking so much grass that it is interfering with her life, her job, or others' abilities to work or to function,then she has a problem. Alcohol isn't crack , meth, or H---but it is the most abused chemical there is---how many lives have been ruined simply by alcohol? If you look at it that it is only a beer, or a shot of Jack, or whatever---then it isn't a cesspool, right? But how many people have gotten their lived f'ed up---or other lives f'ed up, by saying, "Its only just alcohol?"

We have to get away from the "Its only" attitude and look at what is happening...not that "It is only" something...but that "its only something" can have devastating effects on people , their lives, and the lives of those around them.

Trust me, as an educator, and as a family member, I have seen too many lives of people f'ed up by alcohol and other stuff---and all they kept saying was, "Its only..." Too many funerals of students killed. One of my former students just died from an H OD...(Just last week.)

TSC

Last edited by referee54; 01-07-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:44 PM

for most, they will find this humorous. Other will find it "informative"

http://www.forummatters.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=16

Last edited by MercedesTech; 01-07-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:52 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
I would be thanking god everyday if the only drug she chooses to abuse is weed. No ill affects, many positive. Will help cut cancer risks if she is also a cig smoker. Seems like she has the wrong idea about it, but thats not something YOU can change. She needs to change.

Honestly, I see nothing wrong with smoking. Nothing at all, in any way. She may be going through a phase. Many do. Where they want to get as high as they can, as often as they can. That will soon wear off, and she will become a normal stoner. Plenty of very well off people, smoke everyday. Again, I see nothing wrong with it. Just learn the time and place.

btw, it is chemically impssible to become ADDICTED to pot. Your body will not create a chemical dependancy on it. So, technically she is NOT addicted. However, you can form a habit. It become habitual to smoke. Some people create the habit so bad, that they need to do the action of smoking, far more then actually getting high. Like I said, this is a phase she is going through. Show her whats its like to always be toasted. Go out and do things. Eventually she will realize doing something high as a kite, sucks, and its better to wait, and bake at a better time. if you wait and smoke properly, you will get far more high anyways. More bang for the buck. And unless your smoking some schwag, it'll save you some serious coin too.

Anyways, I played nice, now let me ask you a question. Why is it bad ? Because YOU don't agree with it ? If your truly a friend, why try and change someone ? Accept them for who they are, or move on. Why push your beliefs and opinions on someone else ? Why is it bad to smoke ? If she smokes all the time, but isn't hurting anyone, whats the deal ? If she can keep her job, keep her family, and still enjoy her life, why change it ? You have the right to choose not to smoke, shouldn't she be able to choose to burn ?

I guess what I am getting at, is why is it a bad thing ?

Also how old are you guys ? late 30's ? 40's ? no ? Then I wouldn't worry yourself too much. A grown adult doing these things is different then some teenager/young adult. IMO at least.
Thanks for the post...It was the best laugh that I have had in a while.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:00 PM
Hey, Mercedes Tech---a partial quote by you:

Anyways, I played nice, now let me ask you a question. Why is it bad ? Because YOU don't agree with it ? If your truly a friend, why try and change someone ? Accept them for who they are, or move on. Why push your beliefs and opinions on someone else ? Why is it bad to smoke ? If she smokes all the time, but isn't hurting anyone, whats the deal ? If she can keep her job, keep her family, and still enjoy her life, why change it ? You have the right to choose not to smoke, shouldn't she be able to choose to burn ?

I guess I look at it this way; If I was a true friend, and my friend was engaging in an unhealthy or possibly dangerous lifestyle, should I just keep my mouth shut or should I, as a true friend, bring this up with them and discuss it with them from the standpoint of one who cares for them?

Granted, it may not do any good, but, while you urge people to accept somebody for who they are---do not we have an obligation as a true friend to speak truthfully about what a friend may be doing to themselves---or to others, as well? True friends do not turn a blind eye one what could be possibly dangerous or harmful activity...

If there is an addiction involved, and it is harful to the addict and to others, shouldn't somebody stand up and say something?

TSC

Last edited by referee54; 01-07-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by referee54
If there is an addiction involved, and it is hurtful to the addict and to others, shouldn't somebody stand up and say something?
TSC
Yes. But so far nothing has been said as to whether or not this lady's smoking habit is hurting anyone (other than the OP).

If she's got her ducks in a row and chooses to smoke, that's her choice.

If I had to discuss every unhealthy or possibly dangerous lifestyle choice with each of my friends, I would have quit my day job and schedule appointments for everyone! And all of my friends are college graduates with good jobs!

- NCSU

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 01-07-2009 at 05:09 PM.

Quick Reply: How to stop an addiction