There has not been a Christianity thread in a while...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 11:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by keith_bennett
Snakes can't talk, but Satan can talk through a snake. I, like Scott and Shines, believe everything that the bible says who heartedly. It's the word of the Lord.
completely agree with this one as well!!

Old 08-17-2008, 11:38 PM
The Bible is the word of the Lord written by someone else, not trying to create controversy however not all things in the Bible should be take literally, just read revelations and you will understand.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by _cashel
I'm more of an agnostic myself, but I've always loved reading about various religions.

One thing I'd like to hear about is, what makes your religion any more 'right' than say a Muslim's, or a Mormon's, or a Hindu's, or any other religion?
the other religions of the world, muslims mormons etc.. have many flaws or contradictions christianity however does not have any. that is what makes christianity "more right" than the other religions...

Old 08-17-2008, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by doubleplayer
The Bible is the word of the Lord written by someone else, not trying to create controversy however not all things in the Bible should be take literally, just read revelations and you will understand.
Thank you.......

Jesus himself did not write the Bible. Not ALL of it is true.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by _cashel
I'm more of an agnostic myself, but I've always loved reading about various religions.

One thing I'd like to hear about is, what makes your religion any more 'right' than say a Muslim's, or a Mormon's, or a Hindu's, or any other religion?

GRACE is what makes it different.
EDIT: or "more right"

Last edited by doubleplayer; 08-17-2008 at 11:55 PM. Reason: addition of facts
Old 08-17-2008, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by MOford21
Thank you.......

Jesus himself did not write the Bible. Not ALL of it is true.
no no ALL of it is TRUE!!!!

Old 08-17-2008, 11:57 PM
Suspended
I do believe the Bible in it's entirety, I do not feel though that we are held to all the rules of the Old Testament.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:23 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Habibi
Let's say during the first 40 years of your life, you are a murderous wretch.
You kill, rape, steal, and spend your entire life causing misery and pain to everyone you meet.

One day you have near death accident, slip into a coma, and then you have no recollection of your previous life due to amnesia.

So you begin your new life, but now you are a decent caring human being, you help people, and go out of your way to make the world a better place.

and to make it interesting for Shines, let's suppose you accept Jesus into your heart and live the rest of your life as a devout BAC.

You live for another 40 year as a near saint.

What happens when you die?

Will God forgive you for all the people you killed during your first 40 years and grant you an all access pass to Heaven?

Habibi
Well golly gee Habibi, this totally hypothetical and ludicrous scenario must happen thousands of times daily... But my wife has said that this is a fair question from a non believer and even some believers who are not well versed in Scripture.

But the answer is yes. I understand that you are wanting to trap me and make Christianity look incredulous. I know it, you know it, yet the answer is still yes. Even though your scenario MAY have happened once since the beginning of man. (My wife pointed out something after reading this.) Men who are on death row, and have committed heinous crimes have come to know and accept Christ.

Ephesians 2:8-10
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast. 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.
An example of this is illustrated in Luke when Christ was on the cross.

Luke 23:35-43
35 And the people stood looking on. But even the rulers with them sneered, saying, “He saved others; let Him save Himself if He is the Christ, the chosen of God.”
36 The soldiers also mocked Him, coming and offering Him sour wine, 37 and saying, “If You are the King of the Jews, save Yourself.”
38 And an inscription also was written over Him in letters of Greek, Latin, and Hebrew:[a]

THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS.

39 Then one of the criminals who were hanged blasphemed Him, saying, “If You are the Christ,[b] save Yourself and us.”
40 But the other, answering, rebuked him, saying, “Do you not even fear God, seeing you are under the same condemnation? 41 And we indeed justly, for we receive the due reward of our deeds; but this Man has done nothing wrong.” 42 Then he said to Jesus, “Lord,[c] remember me when You come into Your kingdom.”
43 And Jesus said to him, “Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise.”
The thief was saved through grace because he accepted who Christ said he was. God hath said:

John 3:15-17
15 that whoever believes in Him should not perish but[a] have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
We as Christians understand that this is an illogical concept to those that do not know Christ. We are used to working to get things that we desire. Man feels that everything comes with strings attached, that it must be earned. God does not place an asterisk* with His Word. He has laid out salvation through His Son.

1 Corinthians 3:11
11 For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:42 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by EnglishAdam
So, lets say that Adolph Hitler, Stalin. Pol Pot or Chairman Mao, right at the end, accepted Jesus as their Lord and savior, they get right into Heaven for some happy ever after and don't go to your Hell?
Yes, but your examples are of Men who would never repent and accept Christ. They could repent, but the chances of this are slim to none. Please refer to my previous response to Habibi.

Yet, someone who has led a good and blameless life, filled with good deeds can go to Hell?
There is only one Man who did not sin, that Man was Gods Son Jesus Christ. He served as the sin of man. He took the place of our sin and suffered for us.

Isaiah 64:6
6 But we are all like an unclean thing,
And all our righteousnesses are like filthy rags;
We all fade as a leaf,
And our iniquities, like the wind,
Have taken us away.
Think about this... If we do it your way, what is the standard? How good is good enough. We as a society disagree on so much. Do you think we would get a consensus on how good is good enough?

That's not very fair, is it? Is God a vengeful God? Are we doing the Old or New Testament here?
Fair? Vengeful?

John 3
16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
God gave His Son in place of our sin.

Hebrews 9:22
22 And according to the law almost all things are purified with blood, and without shedding of blood there is no remission.
Do you have kids? Look what He did for us. Sounds like he loves us very much.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:14 AM
So how about this Jesus guy....

What do you think about him being married?

To whom?

Mary Magdalene! Sylvia Browne has done some interesting research regarding this.

Last edited by pgh_medic; 08-18-2008 at 01:25 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:25 AM
Originally Posted by thorherc67
the other religions of the world, muslims mormons etc.. have many flaws or contradictions christianity however does not have any. that is what makes christianity "more right" than the other religions...
Christianity has none?

please....

Watch out for those talking snakes handing out bad apples!

Old 08-18-2008, 01:51 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by pgh_medic
So how about this Jesus guy....

What do you think about him being married?

To whom?

Mary Magdalene! Sylvia Browne has done some interesting research regarding this.
Jesus was here for one reason...

Mark 10:45
45 For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.”
If Jesus had been married, the Bible would have told us so - or there would be some unambiguous statement to that fact. Scripture would not be completely silent on such an important issue. The Bible mentions Jesus’ mother, adoptive father, brothers, and sisters. Why would it neglect to even mention the fact that Jesus had a wife? Those who believe / teach that Jesus was married are doing so in an attempt to "humanize" Him, to make Him more ordinary - like everyone else. People simply do not want to believe that Jesus was God in the flesh (John 1:1,14; 10:30). So, they invent and believe myths about Jesus being married, having children, and being an ordinary human being.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:19 AM
Suspended
I look at threads and the like, like this.

Those who believe....believe and live their life like they normally.

Those who do not believe.....live their life like they normally would.

There is no "right" and no "wrong". Because one day, we all will die and find out truely if there is a God or not. Some find piece and comfort in the belief, which is what moves them and empowers them to make themselves better people. Other can do the same exact thing with out believing.

To me there is no reason in asking non believers reasons why they dont believe, and vice versa of asking believers why they believe. You cannot change each other, never. It is a personaly choice.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way.
Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held. Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin. Believe nothing just because someone else believes it. Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this may sound weird but... to me it doesnt matter wheather jesus was the son of man or not. he was a philospher with great theroys and ideas on how people should treat eachother. he is someone we should all learn from.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by Shinesintx
Yes, but your examples are of Men who would never repent and accept Christ. They could repent, but the chances of this are slim to none. Please refer to my previous response to Habibi.
Not an answer Hinesy. I wasn't talking about probabilities. What if they actually did repent and accept Jesus. Would that mean that Hitler would enter the Kingdom of Heaven whilst little Jewish children who died in the concentration camps went to Hell?

That's not a comfortable scenario is it? I see that others on here do not like the question but you chose to start the thread so I would like your take on this.

Last edited by EnglishAdam; 08-18-2008 at 09:14 AM.

Quick Reply: There has not been a Christianity thread in a while...