Why do people strike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 02:43 AM
Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
with my 9.5 years of being in a union....... I might know a thing or two about them.....

Then after that company shut down that facility along with all other unionized facilities got thier work sent to mexico, keeping the non union state side facilities open...... ever since then I have worked non union....

So aside form having working knowledge of the politics of unions and not liking that at all, like I said I have a voice and a choice. I dont need anyone else. Now I also have a working knowledge of non union businesses. Something you obviously do not have. If you ever get to work in non union you'll wonder what the heck you were thinking........

From a workers stand point, (any work is better than no work) and consumer stand point and business stand point and economical stand point and social stand point.... unions are over all just bad for everyone involved. Unfortunatly there are more people involved than just the union employees.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a idea.

Union members on one side non-union on the other.
Look it over and we'll discuss the agreement, otherwise we are all offering personal objectives and beliefs.

As a union member I don't like seeing people with massive yrs of seniority coming in and playing on the computer all day.
But as a union member I have to respect the guy that came before me and fought for the benefits I recieve.

http://www.iam751.org/2005_contract/...0AGREEMENT.pdf

I'll try to answer any questions anyone may have.
I won't tolerate anyone bashing anyone, we are adults. lets respect each others opinions, after all as a unionist I want people to know their rights as a worker. Not just a union worker but as a American Worker.
Alot of people comment on how this is one of the most colorful subjects to be brought up here.
With the moderators blessing, can we keep this going?

Old 10-12-2007, 02:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PSS-Mag
with my 9.5 years of being in a union....... I might know a thing or two about them.....

Then after that company shut down that facility along with all other unionized facilities got thier work sent to mexico, keeping the non union state side facilities open...... ever since then I have worked non union....

So aside form having working knowledge of the politics of unions and not liking that at all, like I said I have a voice and a choice. I dont need anyone else. Now I also have a working knowledge of non union businesses. Something you obviously do not have. If you ever get to work in non union you'll wonder what the heck you were thinking........

From a workers stand point, (any work is better than no work) and consumer stand point and business stand point and economical stand point and social stand point.... unions are over all just bad for everyone involved. Unfortunatly there are more people involved than just the union employees.
I know how non union workplaces work. I've been on both sides of the street. I have worked in non union shops building heavy machinery for a small company. I was a good and loyal hard worker, but even with small companies the owner thinks he is above everyone beneath him, and what do you think if you bring anything up he doesn't like? You get the boot.

In a union shop you don't have to put up with crap like that.

So who's the victim? The non union worker. I knew you wouldn't get it. Got anything else?

Old 10-12-2007, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by swank07'
Here is a idea.

Union members on one side non-union on the other.
Look it over and we'll discuss the agreement, otherwise we are all offering personal objectives and beliefs.

As a union member I don't like seeing people with massive yrs of seniority coming in and playing on the computer all day.
But as a union member I have to respect the guy that came before me and fought for the benefits I recieve.

http://www.iam751.org/2005_contract/...0AGREEMENT.pdf

I'll try to answer any questions anyone may have.
I won't tolerate anyone bashing anyone, we are adults. lets respect each others opinions, after all as a unionist I want people to know their rights as a worker. Not just a union worker but as a American Worker.
Alot of people comment on how this is one of the most colorful subjects to be brought up here.
With the moderators blessing, can we keep this going?
PSS-Matt won't listen. He's got a head of lead.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:54 AM
And BTW
No I dont blame the company for shutting down the union facilities. we cost to much to run. Our overhead was triple the non union. If I had a car that cost me 3 times as much to drive and didnt perform any better than my other one..... I'd get rid of it and drive the other one too. Thats all they did.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:55 AM

And BTW
No I dont blame the company for shutting down the union facilities. we cost to much to run. Our overhead was triple the non union. If I had a car that cost me 3 times as much to drive and didnt perform any better than my other one..... I'd get rid of it and drive the other one too. Thats all they did.
Well, my union job ain't shutting down any time soon, more like never.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:03 AM
Originally Posted by Stealth
I know how non union workplaces work. I've been on both sides of the street. I have worked in non union shops building heavy machinery for a small company. I was a good and loyal hard worker, but even with small companies the owner thinks he is above everyone beneath him, and what do you think if you bring anything up he doesn't like? You get the boot.

So who's the victim? The non union worker. I knew you wouldn't get it. Got anything else?
That doesnt sound like a good nion at all..... Sounds more like an employee owned company, which is the best enviroment BTW..... I like it alot.

A union is workers united..... not bosses united..... workers. That means your boss is still above you.......

Old 10-12-2007, 03:06 AM

A union is workers united..... not bosses united..... workers. That means your boss is still above you.......
Maybe on the corporate ladder, but we are all working together to deliver the same good product.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:06 AM

I like how that is in the past tense "pre union".

Then wonder why the rest of society hates what unions are doing to the countries economy.......

Old 10-12-2007, 03:08 AM

I like how that is in the past tense "pre union".

Then wonder why the rest of society hates what unions are doing to the countries economy.......
So now you're an expert economist? What else, other than ****, are you an expert at? Sheez. Your game is beginning to get old, quite boring.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:15 AM
Well, my union job ain't shutting down any time soon, more like never.

careful, thats what my mom and dad said (we all worked at the same company same union) mom and dad had 25 years each in...... they said the same thing 5 years before it closed....... rumors flew for a couple of years but the union tried to comfort everyone and said it wasnt true, until about a month beofre the final announcemnet was made. Then the reps just walked around with their heads down. Couldn't even look thier co workers in the eye. Becasue 800 families were now with out atleast one income and many were both husband and wife worked there so now no income......

Thought I'd add to that also....

The president and vise president of the union where also husband and wife... and also our co workers, so they too suffered just as bad as the rest of us.

Last edited by PSS-Mag; 10-12-2007 at 03:22 AM.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:18 AM
So now you're an expert economist? What else, other than ****, are you an expert at? Sheez. Your game is beginning to get old, quite boring.

thats what you said before....... Said I was boring you.....
If your bored why stick around?

C ya :santa:

Definatly dont take an expert to know that if somehting cost twice as much to produce. then you cant be competitve. If they can make the same product in Ten-buck-two, for 1/2 price then the world will buy and trade for that one.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:21 AM

careful, thats what my mom and dad said (we all worked at the same company same union) mom and dad had 25 years each in...... they said the same thing 5 years before it closed....... rumors flew for a couple of years but the union tried to comfort everyone and said it wasnt true, until about a month beofre the final announcemnet was made. Then the reps just walked around with their heads down. Couldn't even look thier co workers in the eye. Becasue 800 families were now with out atleast one income and many were both husband and wife worked there so now no income......

There is no such thing as job security for anyone.
To belive there is would be foolish... you need to have a backup plan or 3.....
No kidding, such is life, but we aren't given anything we can't handle.

I can find non union work doing almost the same thing the same day I'd get laid off, making more money non union, only with less benefits. Nature of the aircraft biz.

Now those poor saps in the car building industry, they'll never find equivalent paying work, but that's what they get for choosing that line of work.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:24 AM

thats what you said before....... Said I was boring you.....
If your bored why stick around?

C ya :santa:

Definatly dont take an expert to know that if somehting cost twice as much to produce. then you cant be competitve. If they can make the same product in Ten-buck-two, for 1/2 price then the world will buy and trade for that one.
I just got home from work, hard to go straight to bed, so I surf.

Well, you can't be an economic expert on my line of work and it's benefit to the economy, you definitely don't know squat about it.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:26 AM
No kidding, such is life, but we aren't given anything we can't handle.

I can find non union work doing almost the same thing the same day I'd get laid off, making more money non union, only with less benefits. Nature of the aircraft biz.

Now those poor saps in the car building industry, they'll never find equivalent paying work, but that's what they get for choosing that line of work.

Yea but they chose it because of the pay and benefits that the unions gave them. It is udderly inevitable to happen.

Quick Reply: Why do people strike?