Why do people strike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is why Honda and Toyota will continue to pull ahead. Unions will be the death of the big three. Its sad.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:29 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Arctic Cat F7
This is why Honda and Toyota will continue to pull ahead. Unions will be the death of the big three. Its sad.
.x2

Old 10-10-2007, 08:34 PM
Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
8 years as a union worker..... (two employers, same union) last 7 years non union employee.
I might be slightly educated on both sides of the fence......
I'd much rather be an employee than a worker..... positives far out weigh the negatives.

I'll never work another union job again......

Enough said.....

Old 10-10-2007, 08:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Arctic Cat F7
Yeah, just like it'll be the death of Lockheed Martin, the world's biggest and best military contractor.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by mkosu04
ha... X2

Unions are totally pointless in today's society... they are just a way of uneducated people bullying / blackmailing companies into overpaying them. When they were first created, unions were a great thing - they achieved things like safer workplaces and fair pay. Now they are rarely (never?) used for just causes (as judged by society... not as judged by union members).

Retired union members should keep their benefits... since they have already retired.

Current union members... quit bitching... everybody is receiving reduced benefits.

New union members - should be hired at much much lower wages with lower benefits... like all the other un-educated employees.
I belong to a teachers' union. We came within about 15 minutes of striking about four years ago. We are not uneducated people--about 85% of my collegues, as well as myself, have our M.Ed.'s. I admit that it is different in education here in Ohio---it is a not-for-profit situation: school districts only have so much tax revenue with which to work, so there can be a minimal salary increase.

I does however, through CBA's, give us procedural job protection; if a teacher is poor they can still be removed. However, it does guarantee us as a group of professional educators that we will all be treated procedulary the same---no one can get special treatment---both positively and negatively.

Tim C.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by glc
Now I'm going to union bash. I get the distinct impression all you want is more money for less work and less responsibility. Prove me wrong, that's a dare. You have no loyalty to your employer and I also get the impression you could care less about doing a good job - all you want to do is get through the day without getting written up and take home a fi****l of cash.
More money for less work? You have never been a teacher--who else goes home at night and grades papers---doing work away from my hours in the classroom. Don't give me the crap about working only part of the year. During the summer I have to take classes to keep my license---and I work as well---this helps to make up for what I am not making---as opposed to others inthe business world with the same two types of degrees that I have (BA and Master's).

I dare you to come into my classroom and teach---but first you had better have a darn good (shall I say excellent?) grasp at the subject you will teach, plan lessons that incorporate and build upon the subjects, evaluate not only the students, but the lesson and the techniques used (as well as the educator himself), and grade papers in your spare time.

In fact, I triple-dog dare you!

Old 10-10-2007, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by referee54
In fact, I triple-dog dare you!
Must be a third grade teacher.....

I work in education too, non union, not an educator, do not have a relative degree, Do make more money, (probably work more hours though, I logged 76 hours last week) but was paid for all of it plus my meals... I still have summers off, all to myself to do what I want, don't have to do continued ed, plus additionally I also get December and January off......

Your union must be great!!!!!!

Old 10-10-2007, 09:08 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Quintin
I'd like to know from the union members here, why do you need a union, and if you didn't have the union, would you still be doing what you're doing right now?
Anyone? I don't care whether you're a teacher, an auto assembler, or a fighter jet assembler. Answer me this.

ETA - I can understand teacher's unions, since I was a student at one time and you couldn't pay me enough to put up with a roomful of unruly kids.

Last edited by Quintin; 10-10-2007 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by PSS-Mag
Must be a third grade teacher.....

I work in education too, non union, not an educator, do not have a relative degree, Do make more money, (probably work more hours though, I logged 76 hours last week) but was paid for all of it plus my meals... I still have summers off, all to myself to do what I want, don't have to do continued ed, plus additionally I also get December and January off......

Your union must be great!!!!!!
Nope English IV, English IV AP, and Contemporary Cinema, as well as Dept. Chair (for which I get paid nothing.)

Old 10-10-2007, 09:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 10-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Anyone? I don't care whether you're a teacher, an auto assembler, or a fighter jet assembler. Answer me this.
I do not know if I would be doing the same job; I do know, however, that belonging to my union has allowed me, as well as others like me, to teach in safer and less hazardous conditions as well as focusing more on what really helps students achieve---individual student contact---smaller class sizes, etc.

You see, it is not always about the teachers' salaries; it may be about the environment of the classroom---which leads to a better "product"---a highly educated young adult.

Tim C.

Last edited by referee54; 10-10-2007 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:14 PM
No becasue they hate thier company because it's always trying to squeeze every red cent from them......With out the union, "the man" probably wouldn't even pay them...... he;d use thier pay checks to roll a fat doobie and sit and smoke it while drinking whine and watching them sweat and labor away......

Seriously, union or not, if my company was that bad, if they didnt take care of me, I'd leave.... F' that. I'm employed, not married......

Old 10-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by referee54
Nope English IV, English IV AP, and Contemporary Cinema, as well as Dept. Chair (for which I get paid nothing.)

It must be painful for you to read most of my post then....

I always stunk at English......

Old 10-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth
Yeah, just like it'll be the death of Lockheed Martin, the world's biggest and best military contractor.

Give it time.

How are unions helping workers in a 2007 modern work world? (Since this is a auto forum lets stick with auto unions.)

Old 10-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Naah, my typin' ain't very good neither... I only use spell check when it counts---on my tests, quizes, and stuff like dat...

Tim C.

Quick Reply: Why do people strike?