F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

F250 (2) turbo's in 4 mos, dealer says we starved of oil, engine trashed HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F250 (2) turbo's in 4 mos, dealer says we starved of oil, engine trashed HELP

Bought 2004 F250 Diesel 6.0L, in March '10, now it doesn't run, got 20K loan and dealer says its our fault we starved of oil Can any diesel mechanics out there help??
Our mechanical problems started in May after hearing grinding when pulling horse trailer. Dealer tried to get out of fixing but we hadn't even made 1st payment yet so after helping them understand ...they replaced turbo and EGR valve we were then back on the road. Sept 22nd more grinding noises underneath, limp truck home wont' start. We asked a friend who used to be diesel mech to take a look, he eventually found metal shavings in oil, says engine is more than likely trashed and that Ford didn't do all they were supposed to when they changed out the first turbo like changing some oil pump screen and more... "My question is aren't their certain guidelines Ford certified mechanics are supposed to follow when replacing a turbo? How do I find a list of these guidelines?" We only had a 30day warranty, dealer says its our fault, we starved truck of oil. Next week we have a sit down with dealers president, their cert Ford mechanics and our mechanic (whose not cert.) to fight for our rights~ if things don't go well we are stuck with 20K loan on a truck that doesn't run, can this REALLY be happening??? Were in KS and our a Lemon law seems to only protect new vehicles. Weve called DA & BBB not sure what else we can do.
Here's notes from dealer invoice when they replaced turbo first time.
At 67406 miles Performed visual inspection was ok retrieved codes monitored pids and performed pinpoint tests found VGT was stuck and the EGR valve was intermittently sticking, removed turbo from veh and disassembled found unison ring was stuck on center section but vanes had been damaged by exhaust impeller when it started to come apart. replaced turbo charger asy and reassembled replaced EGR valve and cleared codes, test drove and ran smoothly produced 23 PSi returned to customer. no smoke no other problems found at this time.

Last edited by Huntet02; 10-25-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Huntet02
Bought 2004 F250 Diesel 6.0L, in March '10, now it doesn't run, got 20K loan and dealer says its our fault we starved of oil Can any diesel mechanics out there help??
Our mechanical problems started in May after hearing grinding when pulling horse trailer. Dealer tried to get out of fixing but we hadn't even made 1st payment yet so after helping them understand ...they replaced turbo and EGR valve we were then back on the road. Sept 22nd more grinding noises underneath, limp truck home wont' start. We asked a friend who used to be diesel mech to take a look, he eventually found metal shavings in oil, says engine is more than likely trashed and that Ford didn't do all they were supposed to when they changed out the first turbo like changing some oil pump screen and more... "My question is aren't their certain guidelines Ford certified mechanics are supposed to follow when replacing a turbo? How do I find a list of these guidelines?" We only had a 30day warranty, dealer says its our fault, we starved truck of oil. Next week we have a sit down with dealers president, their cert Ford mechanics and our mechanic (whose not cert.) to fight for our rights~ if things don't go well we are stuck with 20K loan on a truck that doesn't run, can this REALLY be happening??? Were in KS and our a Lemon law seems to only protect new vehicles. Weve called DA & BBB not sure what else we can do.
Here's notes from dealer invoice when they replaced turbo first time.
At 67406 miles Performed visual inspection was ok retrieved codes monitored pids and performed pinpoint tests found VGT was stuck and the EGR valve was intermittently sticking, removed turbo from veh and disassembled found unison ring was stuck on center section but vanes had been damaged by exhaust impeller when it started to come apart. replaced turbo charger asy and reassembled replaced EGR valve and cleared codes, test drove and ran smoothly produced 23 PSi returned to customer. no smoke no other problems found at this time.
What do you expect the dealer to do on a 6 year old truck that was purchased used? After your 30 day warranty is up they dont have to do anything. Sounds like you should have taken the truck and got it checked out before throwing 20 grand on it.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
What do you expect the dealer to do on a 6 year old truck that was purchased used? After your 30 day warranty is up they dont have to do anything. Sounds like you should have taken the truck and got it checked out before throwing 20 grand on it.
I had similar problems with the turbo on my truck and the dealer had my truck for 8 weeks trying to figure it out and the 6.0 is always kind of crap shoot when you buy one not matter the miles or year.

Huntet02, I would probably take it a respectable dedicated diesel shop if you have one close to you and tell the dealer to go **** up a rope. If you take it a diesel shop here is what I would have them do if you decide rebuild it and just an FYI it is not going to be cheap to fix. It also sounds like the tech did not change the oil like he was supposed to when he took the turbo off.

1. Head studs
2. EGR delete (depending on if you get emissions tested in your state)
3. Get a set of guages for the truck so you know what is going on with it. (Pyrometer, Boost, Trans Temp, and maybe Oil Pressure)
4. Change the oil cooler while you have it apart

Last edited by dsq3973; 10-22-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
Dealer's shouldn't be selling vehicles they aren't willing to stand by. Is it exceptable for a 6 year old truck to have a blown motor now-a-days?

We're talking about a catastrophic failure here. Dealers should know better then anyone what potential problems you face with an early 6.0L, don't put them on the lot if you're going to brush your hands of them.

It's wrong to me that Ford can even get away with having these problematic motors on the road without fixing everyone one of them or taking them off the road. I can't get away with one wrong detail in my work, but a multi-national corp. can produce **** and sell it all day long.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by dlenkewich
Dealer's shouldn't be selling vehicles they aren't willing to stand by. Is it exceptable for a 6 year old truck to have a blown motor now-a-days?

We're talking about a catastrophic failure here. Dealers should know better then anyone what potential problems you face with an early 6.0L, don't put them on the lot if you're going to brush your hands of them.

It's wrong to me that Ford can even get away with having these problematic motors on the road without fixing everyone one of them or taking them off the road. I can't get away with one wrong detail in my work, but a multi-national corp. can produce **** and sell it all day long.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
And per our mechanic Catastrophic failure "IS" the failing of a turbo -which means they should have checked and replaced several things NOT JUST THE TURBO!!! They didn't abide by the regulations....

KingRanchCoy -I hope your truck never has problems......

Old 10-22-2010, 03:19 PM
glc
Received 765 Likes on 708 Posts
KingRanchCoy -I hope your truck never has problems......
KRC knows better than to buy a used 6.0 Ford diesel.........

The 6.0 was SO bad that Ford sued Navistar to try to recoup some of their warranty expenses. This was the reason the 6.4 release was delayed - Navistar wouldn't ship them till the suit was settled. It's also why Ford dumped Navistar for 2011 and developed their own in-house diesel.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:23 PM
All this talk about the 6.0L Diesel makes me so paranoid. My dad just got an '05 F-350 6.0L..

Originally Posted by dsq3973
1. Head studs
3. Get a set of guages for the truck so you know what is going on with it. (Pyrometer, Boost, Trans Temp, and maybe Oil Pressure)
Is there an easy way to check if it has an EGR delete kit on it?

Last edited by ReFracture; 10-22-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:01 PM
Look up by the intake elbow there should be valve with a wiring harness coming out of the top of it. If there is just a plate there is no EGR system in place. There are a few weak links with the 6.0 but it is a good solid motor once you fix the weak links.

Last edited by dsq3973; 10-22-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:03 PM
I'll take a look tonight when he gets home with the truck. Worst case if I don't know what you are talking about, I'll just take some pictures.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:06 PM
I will take a picture tomorrow of what mine looks like with out for you.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:07 PM
Cool, thanks. Sadly, if it does have it, I doubt I could convince my dad to actually do it. Still, I'd like to find out.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:15 PM
Check this out it has alot of good info in it.

http://dan.prxy.org/Truck/6L_bible_html/html/TOC.html

Old 10-25-2010, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by dsq3973
I had similar problems with the turbo on my truck and the dealer had my truck for 8 weeks trying to figure it out and the 6.0 is always kind of crap shoot when you buy one not matter the miles or year.

Huntet02, I would probably take it a respectable dedicated diesel shop if you have one close to you and tell the dealer to go **** up a rope. If you take it a diesel shop here is what I would have them do if you decide rebuild it and just an FYI it is not going to be cheap to fix. It also sounds like the tech did not change the oil like he was supposed to when he took the turbo off.

1. Head studs
Thanks good info.....appreciate it, First off weve got to get through this meeting with the dealership on Wed...the one where they are gonna try to tell us that we caused the damage by using it as it was intended, that our mechanic is full of crap(cause not Ford cert.) when he tells them they caused this not us. I'm gonna try to not end up on the news....well on second thought

Last edited by Huntet02; 10-25-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:00 PM
This trucks oil had been checked just before I drove it the 90 miles to pick horses up. IT WAS RUNNING fine all the way there and it was still running on way home ...even when turbo started shredding and noises where loud as heck. I wanted to pull over and ride a horse home but my hubby wouldn't let me. When I got home and I even shut it off then my hubby started it back up and drove it down the road it wasn't until the next day that it wouldn't start. So WE did not STARVE IT OF OIL! But we gotta figure out how to prove this, which is why our mechanic needs to figure out if like if a Turbo shredding is considered "Castrophic engine failure" if it is then the Dealer was obligated to do Way more than what they did when changing the turbo in May. Looking now for the bulletin so I can share the exact wording but them not changing the screen/oil puts them at fault big-time.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:06 PM

How many miles are on this truck? Is there any visible oil leak?

Quick Reply: F250 (2) turbo's in 4 mos, dealer says we starved of oil, engine trashed HELP