F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

F250 (2) turbo's in 4 mos, dealer says we starved of oil, engine trashed HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but on a side note...what about the OP and the help they want, not the show they're getting....

Old 10-28-2010, 09:13 PM
Good luck OP. As far as some useful information, If you have the receipt from when you changed your oil for the first time, that may be your only defense you have. Although the counter act for Ford would be well this proves you only bought the oil, filter, ect. For some diesel information, I would check out www.thedieselgarage.com. I've poked around there for awhile and they have all sorts of information. Not saying this site doesn't, but they are strictly diesel engines. Like others have said, the 6.0L is hit or miss. A friend of mine has an actual 2007 F-250 with like 85k miles or so that had to have a new motor put in due to a coolant leak. So there are 2007 super duty's out there and the difference why there have been fewer warranty claims is because the 2007 motors use certain parts of the 6.4L motors. Not sure what the all are exactly but they are in there. Also I remember reading somewhere that it was either the 2003 or 2004 powerstrokes had different turbos in them compared to the later powerstrokes. Might want to research that if its true or not. Not sure where I read that nor if it is true. Once again good luck to you and your defense. I'm somewhat going through the same dilema with the dealer I bought my truck through. Only my problem is the transmission not motor. Good luck to you. Hope things get settled in the best way for you!

Old 10-29-2010, 12:42 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Huntet02
OH No ....wow this just can't be happening How can they get away with this?
Did you have a huge loan on yours like we do? HOw are we gonna pay for a vehicle that doesn't run....we won't be able to. Mel Hambilton told me tonight a rebuilt deisel is only $15k..........nice!! They dont' care...
I payed for mine in cash and sold it for a loss, at least I got most of my cash back.

Still it was a hassle, but a lesson learned -- one that only the school of hard knocks can teach.

I think that some are being a bit harsh on you... but, they don't know, because they haven't been in the same boat as us. Until it happens to them.

To be honest, I don't care what type of engine it is, there is no such thing as a "perfect" engine. They all break. All you can do is hope when you turn that key, it ain't gonna blow up.

Last edited by ManualF150; 10-29-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by Huntet02
OH No ....wow this just can't be happening How can they get away with this?
Did you have a huge loan on yours like we do? HOw are we gonna pay for a vehicle that doesn't run....we won't be able to. Mel Hambilton told me tonight a rebuilt deisel is only $15k..........nice!! They dont' care...
I have seen complete 6.0 motors on E-bay going for about 3 to 6k. Here are few I found with just a quick search and I am sure that you could find one out of a wrecked truck as well. And as long as its out you might as well head stud it and upgrade to the new style EGR cooler and replace the oil cooler as well just for piece of mind.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-0-p...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-0-F...Q5fAccessories

Old 10-29-2010, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by Stu486

but on a side note...what about the OP and the help they want, not the show they're getting....
This is a public internet forum and this does and will happend in the future it is just the way things work like it or not. There is some good information in here though.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by nrd10
Good luck OP. As far as some useful information, If you have the receipt from when you changed your oil for the first time, that may be your only defense you have. Although the counter act for Ford would be well this proves you only bought the oil, filter, ect. For some diesel information, I would check out www.thedieselgarage.com. I've poked around there for awhile and they have all sorts of information. Not saying this site doesn't, but they are strictly diesel engines. Like others have said, the 6.0L is hit or miss. A friend of mine has an actual 2007 F-250 with like 85k miles or so that had to have a new motor put in due to a coolant leak. So there are 2007 super duty's out there and the difference why there have been fewer warranty claims is because the 2007 motors use certain parts of the 6.4L motors. Not sure what the all are exactly but they are in there. Also I remember reading somewhere that it was either the 2003 or 2004 powerstrokes had different turbos in them compared to the later powerstrokes. Might want to research that if its true or not. Not sure where I read that nor if it is true. Once again good luck to you and your defense. I'm somewhat going through the same dilema with the dealer I bought my truck through. Only my problem is the transmission not motor. Good luck to you. Hope things get settled in the best way for you!
The 2003 turbo was different from the rest, however, the only difference was the # of veins on the turbo. A 2003 turbo sounds like a jet engine.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
The 2003 turbo was different from the rest, however, the only difference was the # of veins on the turbo. A 2003 turbo sounds like a jet engine.
What if the tech that replaced the OP's turbo put in the wrong one? Say for example the tech put in a turbo from a different year? Could this cause the problem the OP is having? I knew there was a difference but wasnt sure what it was exactly. Thanks for clearing that up.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:44 AM
What if the tech that replaced the OP's turbo put in the wrong one? Say for example the tech put in a turbo from a different year? Could this cause the problem the OP is having? I knew there was a difference but wasnt sure what it was exactly. Thanks for clearing that up.

Wouldn't do a thing. The oiling circuit is the same. It'll only sound different.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:33 PM
Wouldn't do a damn thing to it. People swap on the 03 turbo all the time because they want the whistle.

Quick Reply: F250 (2) turbo's in 4 mos, dealer says we starved of oil, engine trashed HELP