F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

F250 (2) turbo's in 4 mos, dealer says we starved of oil, engine trashed HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 08:08 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Kinda reminds me of my lemon with my Ram 2500 diesel... the turbo was shot and was ingesting oil, along with a bad lift pump and injector pump... needed new injectors... how the heck could a dealer sell me this?!

Because they can and will pass garbage vehicles up to customers.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FL4X4
How many miles are on this truck? Is there any visible oil leak?
Approx 74K, No no Oil leaks the dipstick had plenty of oil, was at the full line when we drained, then we are keeping the metal shavings for if we have to go to court

Old 10-25-2010, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Kinda reminds me of my lemon with my Ram 2500 diesel... the turbo was shot and was ingesting oil, along with a bad lift pump and injector pump... needed new injectors... how the heck could a dealer sell me this?!

OH No ....wow this just can't be happening How can they get away with this?
Did you have a huge loan on yours like we do? HOw are we gonna pay for a vehicle that doesn't run....we won't be able to. Mel Hambilton told me tonight a rebuilt deisel is only $15k..........nice!! They dont' care...

Old 10-25-2010, 09:20 PM
[QUOTE=glc;4374380]KRC knows better than to buy a used 6.0 Ford diesel........
[/B]
The 6.0 was SO bad that Ford sued Navistar to try to recoup some of their warranty expenses. This was the reason the 6.4 release was delayed - Navistar wouldn't ship them till the suit was settled. It's also why Ford dumped Navistar for 2011 and developed their own in-house diesel.[/QU

Last edited by Huntet02; 10-25-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:02 PM
what is it that every mechanic in a dealer shop of this size is to follow when fixing a turbo problem? Is it Mehanics guides, service bulletin, service manual what? How do we find out for this Wichita KS dealer what they are supposed to be following for this procedure? If I cant find any of this out we have no defense and only (1) day left to research it:

Old 10-26-2010, 11:45 PM
Ford diesels are junk. Some people have good service out of them. They are few and far between though. Go to ANY ford dealer's service department, and take a glance at all the vehicles up on the racks. I bet 80% of them are diesels.

Check this website out... It will fix your troubles a lot cheaper than the dealership.
www.destroked.com

You'll also need this... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRAND...Q5fAccessories

Old 10-27-2010, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by chester8420
Ford diesels are junk. Some people have good service out of them. They are few and far between though. Go to ANY ford dealer's service department, and take a glance at all the vehicles up on the racks. I bet 80% of them are diesels.

Check this website out... It will fix your troubles a lot cheaper than the dealership.
www.destroked.com

You'll also need this... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRAND...Q5fAccessories

The 7.3L was actually a pretty durable engine except for a few bad ones. Out of the fleet at work, pretty much all the 7.3L trucks run fine aside from a few maintenance issues from being worked hard. The 6.0L is the junk engine. All 4 we have have had issues. The 6.4L has been really durable for us, but it likes its fuel.

I will say this though, having a CR Cummins in a SD is the best combination out there.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:40 AM

Your "lemon" truck was also used and with 190K miles on it. Oh, and you bought it over the internet without ever seeing it. Sounds like a dumbass purchase to me.

Huntet, $15K for a new motor is retarded. If you need some work done, take your truck to River City Diesel in Illinois. I know it's a haul for you, but they are one of the best in the business when it comes to 6.0s.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:45 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by powerstroke73
The 7.3L was actually a pretty durable engine except for a few bad ones. Out of the fleet at work, pretty much all the 7.3L trucks run fine aside from a few maintenance issues from being worked hard. The 6.0L is the junk engine. All 4 we have have had issues. The 6.4L has been really durable for us, but it likes its fuel.

I will say this though, having a CR Cummins in a SD is the best combination out there.
The Navistar T444E engine by far is the best engine in the world.

Originally Posted by Zaairman
Your "lemon" truck was also used and with 190K miles on it. Oh, and you bought it over the internet without ever seeing it. Sounds like a dumbass purchase to me.
Yeah, but I learned.... the hard way.

At least I got something diesel... my Kubota... haha

Last edited by ManualF150; 10-28-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:09 AM
The 12v cummins is the best engine ever made and the 07 6.0 powerstroke had the least amount of warranty claims than any other vehichle ford made

Old 10-28-2010, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by halerazor
The 12v cummins is the best engine ever made and the 07 6.0 powerstroke had the least amount of warranty claims than any other vehichle ford made
The 07... that's because they DIDN'T sell any. And where did you get that factoid from?

Old 10-28-2010, 09:47 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Good luck with this... that sucks. Get the vaseline ready.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
The 07... that's because they DIDN'T sell any. And where did you get that factoid from?
Wikipedia and it was 06 not 07

The 7.3 L (444 CID) Power Stroke was replaced by the 6.0 L (365 CID) for the 2003 model year. This version was built until mid December 2006 (2007 model year). Many 6.0 L Power Stroke engines were proven to be unreliable,[1] and may have cost Ford hundreds of millions of dollars in warranty repairs and leading to a recall and repurchase of at least 500 trucks. There were initial quality challenges which Ford and Navistar have mostly rectified. The reliability of the later 6.0 L engines, after the dealership technicians were fully trained on the product, has been very good. Many early problems were disastrous, requiring total engine replacement. There were also minor problems resulting from the unreliable variable-vane turbocharger solenoid, EGR valve carbon deposit clogging or sticking, defective Exhaust Back Pressure (EBP) sensor/connector, numerous PCM (Powetrain Control Module) recalibrations, fuel injector harness chafing/crushing and other minor driveability and QC issues. There were many running changes to the engine and in the 2006 year model the 6.0 had the lowest rate of warranty claims across the board for Ford Motor Company when compared to all of Ford's gas and diesel engines

Old 10-28-2010, 08:20 PM
The Navistar T444E engine by far is the best engine in the world.

Yeah, but I learned.... the hard way.

At least I got something diesel... my Kubota... haha

Work on your reading comprehension because you suck at it. I never said it was the best engine out there. I said was a far cry from the piece of crap that you're trying to make it out to be. They have their weak points like others, but look at how many companies are still running that engine. Half of our trucks are over 150k on stock injectors, turbos, and hpops. One should be around 220k when it gets back at the end of the year.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by halerazor
Wikipedia and it was 06 not 07

The 7.3 L (444 CID) Power Stroke was replaced by the 6.0 L (365 CID) for the 2003 model year. This version was built until mid December 2006 (2007 model year). Many 6.0 L Power Stroke engines were proven to be unreliable,[1] and may have cost Ford hundreds of millions of dollars in warranty repairs and leading to a recall and repurchase of at least 500 trucks. There were initial quality challenges which Ford and Navistar have mostly rectified. The reliability of the later 6.0 L engines, after the dealership technicians were fully trained on the product, has been very good. Many early problems were disastrous, requiring total engine replacement. There were also minor problems resulting from the unreliable variable-vane turbocharger solenoid, EGR valve carbon deposit clogging or sticking, defective Exhaust Back Pressure (EBP) sensor/connector, numerous PCM (Powetrain Control Module) recalibrations, fuel injector harness chafing/crushing and other minor driveability and QC issues. There were many running changes to the engine and in the 2006 year model the 6.0 had the lowest rate of warranty claims across the board for Ford Motor Company when compared to all of Ford's gas and diesel engines

Thats funny right there. Because it was posted on wikipedia it HAS to be true

So the $4k worth of warranty repairs we had to do to one of our 06 built 6.0L trucks last winter was just a figment of my imagination. And I guess when the hpop on that same engine left me stranded in a canola field in Canada this year was also a fluke. I can about guarantee that the last line in that quote applies only to either 06 model year or does not date back to the 7.3L. Until someone posts the actual warranty numbers dating back to about 94.5 then saying the 6.0L was less problematic than the 7.3L means nothing.

Quick Reply: F250 (2) turbo's in 4 mos, dealer says we starved of oil, engine trashed HELP