Borla XR-1s Are On The Truck...[Pics & Vid]

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Borla XR-1s Are On The Truck...[Pics & Vid]

And all I can say is *Excuse My French* Holy F*CKING ****. This is the sound I've been dying for all this time. After changing the setup 6 times, this one has won me over & I've fallen in love with my 05' SuperCab all over again.

Thanks to all you guys on this forum for all the detailed, informative information of this muffler. It helped me out so much and made this decision way easier.

Exhaust consists of: 3" Piping from the manifolds back, NO CATS [Yes I did it, YES I'll pass inspection, NO I didn't throw a code because the truck is tuned with them turned off anyway, & the sound is to die for], Y-Piped into a 3" Borla XR1 (40085) Race Muffler then ran into one single 4 1/2" double walled tip after the tire. Its hidden, and slanted down. Very sporty and unique looking, yet classy & clean! Even with me going to 3", no I didn't notice any loss in low end torque as some of you predicted. Truck feels way better now and it doesn't feel like it can barely get out of its own way like it did with 2.5" piping with my true dual setup. It actually moves now and moves dog-gone good to. VERY HAPPY to be back to my Single In/Single Out too. Feels better, sounds better, just overall better IMHO.

My thoughts: Like I said above. Holy sh*t lol. If you guys are looking to DO or redo your system, go with Borla's hands down. The Magnaflows Magnapakcs were nice when I had em' and for what they were, but these things are a huge step up. It is leaps & bounds above Magnaflows IMHO! I mean, the truck sounds like a truck now. NO more high-pitch Mustang GT 2V sound that it had before that I hated. It has that gurgly, mean sound at idle. Almost like a Big Block Mod Motor. It puts me in the mind of a LS7 in a Corvette at idle! You definitely know its not stock. At acceleration, it screams! No other way to put it. I'm not gonna get on here and try to make it seem like that this isn't a aggressive sounding muffler, because it is very much so. Yes it drones, but what aftermarket cat-back doesn't? WOT, OMG! It's just mean and carries the tone throughout the whole RPM range. It reminds me of all the drag-trucks at the track. Wow, can't believe this is my truck. This is crazy lol.

I had a DPS Trooper pull me over this morning JUST to tell me that my truck was the "Sickest Sounding F150" he's heard. I was ****ting bricks thinking I was gonna get a ticket lol. Only to find out he has a 03' Dark Shadow Grey Lightning, and he now wants Borla's on the L. He took my # down so after he orders them, I can send him to the shop that did my work. Lol, pretty awesome if you ask me. The truck is getting cleaned up and shined tonight to go to the Car/Truck meet. All the Lightning/Harley, Mustang, Camaro guys are dying to hear this setup. And I will gladly say, my truck isn't stupid fast, but with this sound, I will roll up to any Car/Truck meet with confidence knowing that I have a Beastly Sounding F150. I couldn't really get under my truck to take pics from the manifolds back because my frame is close to the ground lol, but I'll get one for y'all A.S.A.P!

Anyway, I don't wanna bore you guys with me telling you how I like this muffler. I'll be all day.

Here are the PICS:

Name:  2012-12-29_12-39-58_15_zps2fcea8a5.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  88.3 KB

Name:  2012-12-29_12-38-13_923_zps990962d5.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  61.6 KB

Name:  2012-12-29_13-41-52_724_zps03525ba6.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  64.3 KB

Name:  2012-12-29_13-42-29_63_zps20435439.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  69.0 KB

Name:  2012-12-29_13-42-10_518_zps26a2546d.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  49.2 KB
Name:  2012-12-29_12-38-34_757_zps7fd830c6.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  52.1 KB

Name:  2012-12-29_12-38-43_185_zpsf999eefc.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  75.1 KB

Name:  2012-12-29_12-39-36_320_zpsd0c2ca26.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  55.8 KB

Name:  2012-12-29_12-38-29_300_zps080c2d4b.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  47.3 KB

VIDEO:
Sorry, but this vid does this truck no justice. It doesn't sound this mellow at all. I'll get a better vid with my Camera and some fly-bys for you guys!

Last edited by sweet_n_low150; 12-29-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:06 PM
Sounds really good to me!!

Old 12-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Xr-1 FTW. Sounds damn good.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not a bad sound from the video. I can imagine cat-less and 3" exhaust that it does have a nice heavy deep note put-put at idle. Did you happen to tell the friendly officer the truck is cat-less? . Did you run cat-less with the Magnapacks?

How would you compare the tone overall with the Magnapacks? Feel the XR-1 is much deeper toned? Can it be heard much more when hot/warm than the Magnapack system? I have debated on replacing my Magnapack with a 40085 but I feel it is a bit too irresponsible of an investment when there is nothing wrong with my muffler. Guess I am just looking for encouragement haha. My tailpipe line up is ridiculous so I wanted to have it re-done anyways.

Have a listen to the video in my signature if you haven't yet and tell me how the XR1 compares in the scenarios in my video please. I am very interested to know!

Old 12-29-2012, 10:06 PM
Glad you like your Borla setup. Can't wait to take the Magnaflow mufflers off of my truck and go back to Borla. I let someone talk me into switching to Magnaflow which was a big mistake. Borla sounds like no other exhaust.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:28 PM
Sounds awesome man I wish I had just forked over the cash for the 40085 in the first place. Nothing wrong with this Magnapack but everyone always talks up Borla like they are the second coming of Jesus so yeah I wanna be a part of that. Nice descriptions of the muffler but i'm in the same boat as Darren....nothing wrong with our Magnapacks other than the fact that we want Borlas now!! My Pack is only 6 months old so yeah it would be a waste to change it now. Great pictures and video.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:06 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Sounds awesome man! I'll be repping a Borla stinger in a month or so. Got my 5" tips in.... yummy that tip looks great on your truck!

Old 12-30-2012, 02:48 AM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Not a bad sound from the video. I can imagine cat-less and 3" exhaust that it does have a nice heavy deep note put-put at idle. Did you happen to tell the friendly officer the truck is cat-less? . Did you run cat-less with the Magnapacks?

How would you compare the tone overall with the Magnapacks? Feel the XR-1 is much deeper toned? Can it be heard much more when hot/warm than the Magnapack system? I have debated on replacing my Magnapack with a 40085 but I feel it is a bit too irresponsible of an investment when there is nothing wrong with my muffler. Guess I am just looking for encouragement haha. My tailpipe line up is ridiculous so I wanted to have it re-done anyways.

Have a listen to the video in my signature if you haven't yet and tell me how the XR1 compares in the scenarios in my video please. I am very interested to know!
Hey Darren! Lol, I actually DID tell the Officer I was cat-less. He was very cool and was just astounded by the sound alone and didn't even think twice about it. NO, I wasn't catless with the MaggiePacks. I just had the 2 94106 Hi-Flows! Hi-Flows VS. NO CATS is literally night and day. No Cats sealed the deal for me. That bite & bark is what I love.

Compared to the Magnapacks, the overall tone is way deeper and consistent. It used to seem like when I had the MaggiePacks, as I got up to speed, the sound would almost fade out and would just sound funny almost. I found myself speeding a-lot just to hear the truck rumble. With these Borlas, at every RPM, its deep & aggressive and makes such a unique tone. Yes, on a warm startup the truck growls at you each and every time. I sat there and turned it on & off with my remote start, and each time I started it, it was mean and had the same similar tone like on a cold-start. Similar to the Magnapacks on a warm startup, but with way more BITE to it, way more! I mean sound wise, the Magnapacks don't even come close to these man.

I use to always think that Dodge's Ram with the HEMI [5.7] and GM Vortec & Vortec Max's in their Full Size trucks sounded way better than Fords Modular Motor in the trucks. I always felt like Fords Mod Motor [Well guys with aftermarket exhaust setups] in their F150s sounding to mellow & "General Flowmaster" sounding. Just didn't have that extra bite & bark. Every now and then I would hear a F150 would a great sounding setup and my neck would turn around. NOW, with this new setup, I'm almost positive that neither GM nor Dodges V8 sounds better than these Mod Motors. With the right setup, these OHC motors sound glorious, and mine is one of em'

Now Darren, if you feel you're ok with Magnapacks on your truck, then by no means do you need to spend the extra money and get these Borlas. It's just ME personally, I'm very picky and detailed about my truck. After having two setups with Magnaflow [MaggiePacks being the most aggressive], I felt like I wanted more. There are so many bada** sounding trucks rolling around in these streets of Houston, Tx and I wanted to be apart of em'. After running Magnapacks for over a year and saw that after they were broken in, and that the sound wasn't going to change anymore, I knew right then wanted a different sound for my truck. More aggression, more tone, more consistency and a little more bark & bite, and these Borla XR-1s have given me JUST THAT. So, if you want that 5.4 to sound better than it does now with the Packs, get these Mufflers, HANDS DOWN! No ?'s asked lol.

The vid in your sig sounds good bud. My Borla XR-1s with this setup I have is wayyyy more mean sounding without a doubt. Its more gurgle at idle and take off is just mean as hell. Sounds like it will bit your head off. Way more tone & more consistency. throughout Think of it as like the sound of a Cobra or GT, with a hint of truck to it. IDK how to explain it man. Its hard!

I hope me telling you all this helped you out in making your final decision. If not, just let me know what else I can explain for ya.

Last edited by sweet_n_low150; 12-30-2012 at 02:59 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:49 AM
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
Sounds awesome man! I'll be repping a Borla stinger in a month or so. Got my 5" tips in.... yummy that tip looks great on your truck!
Thanks Bud.
There you go. That 5" tip is gonna set it off and set you apart from all the other F-One-Fiddys rolling around lol.

I love this thing man and you're gonna love it just as well.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:54 AM
Originally Posted by dave06ford
Sounds awesome man I wish I had just forked over the cash for the 40085 in the first place. Nothing wrong with this Magnapack but everyone always talks up Borla like they are the second coming of Jesus so yeah I wanna be a part of that. Nice descriptions of the muffler but i'm in the same boat as Darren....nothing wrong with our Magnapacks other than the fact that we want Borlas now!! My Pack is only 6 months old so yeah it would be a waste to change it now. Great pictures and video.
Thanks Dave.
We live & learn. I went from 3 setups with Flowmasters, then to straight pipes, then to mellow Oval Body Magnaflows, from there to the Magnapacks, and NOW the Borlas ahaha. It's definitely a trial & error getting the right setups that YOUR ears fall in love with. The Borlas are the 2nd Coming! Lol, they are awesome dude. I love em'. If you're satisfied with the Packs, then thats great, by no means do you need to upgrade. But, if you want more bark & bite, with consistency and making that 5.4 sound glorious, then Borla XR1s, no questions asked.

Thanks again man....Hope to see you on the Booorrrrrrlaaaaaaa side here soon lol.

Last edited by sweet_n_low150; 12-30-2012 at 03:00 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:56 AM
Originally Posted by jbravo316
Glad you like your Borla setup. Can't wait to take the Magnaflow mufflers off of my truck and go back to Borla. I let someone talk me into switching to Magnaflow which was a big mistake. Borla sounds like no other exhaust.
Get those Borlas back on there man.
You're right, it has such a unique sound!

From every vehicle I run from now on will ONLY have Borlas. These things are to die for! Magnaflows are too mellow for my liking...

They're long gone now! Borla man now from here on out..

Old 12-30-2012, 08:23 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Nice.....

Borla ftw

Old 12-30-2012, 01:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm thinking that the change to cat-less had a lot do with the change in the sound in terms of the aggressiveness.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by Blue_Blood
I'm thinking that the change to cat-less had a lot do with the change in the sound in terms of the aggressiveness.
Agreed! As well as 3" piping and that XR1 is a mean sounding muffler.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:46 PM
We want more videos!!

Quick Reply: Borla XR-1s Are On The Truck...[Pics & Vid]