Borla XR-1s Are On The Truck...[Pics & Vid]

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 03:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do notice with my 3" Magnapack that it has a distinct "pop/crackle" noise right before a gearshift and really ruins the tone. It sounds like it's straight piped and people tell me that but I do have a muffler clearly. Also on a cold start it makes the LOUDEST noise almost like a gunshot went off. I'm hoping a switch to Borla will fix this and help tone down the "white trashy" noise of my truck.

Hey sweet n low I know what you mean about the hemi trucks. There's a few bumble bees driving around here and they sound mean as hell but then I just remember their hemi's are all noise and no power and terrible mpg My dad's 5.3 silverado just has a simple Flowmaster 40 SIDO and it sounds damn good....sounds nothing like a chambered muffler at all, I don't understand oh well.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:26 AM
Hey Dave! On Cold Start with the Borlas, it sounds like the earth is shaking and thunder is rolling. Literally! If you switch to the tamer sounding Borla, then Im sure it will tone it down. But switching to XR1s, no sir. You can forget it. Everything about this muffler is more aggressive than Magnapacks like x10 IMO!

& man idk what kinda Hemi's y'all have over there, but down here there are Quad Cabs & Single Cab Bumble Bees that are 11 & 12 Second DAILY DRIVEN N/A trucks. Nothing slow about em'! Very powerful I will say.

Like I told Darren, Im 100% confident that no Chebbie or Ram (Unless they have a **** load of mods like head work and cams) sounds better than my Ford with this setup. Im positive that this setup on your truck will make you fall in love all over again. I love passing by other trucks with their Generic ****Masters and they break their neck like "WTF was that"? I've been getting nothing but compliments these past couple of days with the new setup by the Mopar & GM guys on how they've never heard anything like it. Im gonna upload a Cold Start Up vid here a little later today.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by sweet_n_low150
Should sound freaking man on that 6.2 in the Raptor.
Which ones you going with & what setup you have in mind?
Same as my last set up. cut out the factory y and install a magnaflow ture x. then 2 Borla s-type to 2 magna flow 4" tips. should get it done in the next month if everything works out.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:02 PM
Hey Dave! On Cold Start with the Borlas, it sounds like the earth is shaking and thunder is rolling. Literally! If you switch to the tamer sounding Borla, then Im sure it will tone it down. But switching to XR1s, no sir. You can forget it. Everything about this muffler is more aggressive than Magnapacks like x10 IMO!

& man idk what kinda Hemi's y'all have over there, but down here there are Quad Cabs & Single Cab Bumble Bees that are 11 & 12 Second DAILY DRIVEN N/A trucks. Nothing slow about em'! Very powerful I will say.

Like I told Darren, Im 100% confident that no Chebbie or Ram (Unless they have a **** load of mods like head work and cams) sounds better than my Ford with this setup. Im positive that this setup on your truck will make you fall in love all over again. I love passing by other trucks with their Generic ****Masters and they break their neck like "WTF was that"? I've been getting nothing but compliments these past couple of days with the new setup by the Mopar & GM guys on how they've never heard anything like it. Im gonna upload a Cold Start Up vid here a little later today.
X2 that was like my old setup i loved it so much i'am doing the same on the Rap and should sound even better with the increased flow of the 6.2 over the 5.0 in the old truck.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:10 PM

Eh we have Hemi's of every shape and form here in TN. It's really an even number of Ford, Chevy, Dodge, and Yota. I guess I just can't keep myself from messing with the exhaust haha. I really want to switch my tips from out the back to behind the tires because I occaisionally go off road and my buddy's house has a steep incline and i've actually scraped the hitch and tips before.

I'm just trying to justify spending money. I don't know a truck around here that has Borla, hard to tell really unless you know them personally. We have more diesels than gassers I believe. My neighbor has a new style hemi Ram and i'm always going by there hoping he's outside to see what a real truck is.'

Might use this year's tax returns to buy that #40085 XR1 and some tips. The Magnapack is great but it sounds too "straight pipey" for me and since i'm driving a Ford vehicle, it must have a nicely toned roar to it. I appreciate all your input.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:18 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I too find that the Ford modular blocks are the clearest, richest, nicest sounding block when complimented by an aftermarket exhaust of any level of volume. Push rods have that nice chug-chug note, while Hemi's and Magnums have the bark with a deep tone to it.

Originally Posted by dave06ford
I do notice with my 3" Magnapack that it has a distinct "pop/crackle" noise right before a gearshift and really ruins the tone. It sounds like it's straight piped and people tell me that but I do have a muffler clearly. Also on a cold start it makes the LOUDEST noise almost like a gunshot went off. I'm hoping a switch to Borla will fix this and help tone down the "white trashy" noise of my truck.
I experience nothing of the sort with my exhaust. Mine is deep toned and has a raspy like bark to it. Never a pop anywhere. Since you have the hi-flow units, that may allow for the more straight pipe crackle, however, sweet states his cat-less setup does not have that type of sound anywhere in the rpm band with the nice Borla muffler.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:32 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Another thing is the quality, angle and amount of bends. I think that plays more of a role than people think.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:47 PM
I think Im gonna be ordering some Long-Tubes next for the truck to let her flow more and just a tad bit MORE aggressive sound over the stock manifolds. I saw some PaceSetters for the 4.6 for an affordable price! Stainless works makes em' also, but at a price tag of $1300 dollars, I'll pass! I have a buddy that has a 700h.p. built 4.6 2V' 02 Saleen and I think I'm gonna let him port & polish the intake. Again, not expecting a butt load of power, but any extra flow of air on these Mod Motors helps.

Exhaust has been on the truck for 2 weeks now.. Still mean as hell, deep, and aggressive and people tell me they've never heard a Ford like this. Had one older gentleman tell me it sounded like his 57 Bel-Air he built back in 95' with a big block 572 Chebbie. 0_o I was like whoaaa, thanks! He just loved the way the Borlas screamed. Vids will come when it DRIES UP OUT HERE!

Last edited by sweet_n_low150; 01-13-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:19 PM
Enough talk! More videos!! Get all these people who compliment you to shoot some vids!

Old 01-13-2013, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by dave06ford
Enough talk! More videos!! Get all these people who compliment you to shoot some vids!
Dude, its been raining way to much out here everyday to get a vid!
Sorry, I don't video in the rain. When it dries up, I WILL DO...

Last edited by sweet_n_low150; 01-13-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:35 PM
lol just teasing you. I know everyone just has to have their rig all shined up and purrrrdy for video shoots. It's pouring rain here at the moment as well.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:02 AM
Lol you knowwwww it man. I knew you were teasing anyway lol.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:32 PM
That sounds badass! I have been considering getting Borlas to go with my LT headers.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by MattV
That sounds badass! I have been considering getting Borlas to go with my LT headers.
do it do it!
Name:  1234525508_ben_stiller_-_do_it.gif
Views: 151
Size:  233.3 KB

Old 01-20-2013, 01:34 PM
nice

Quick Reply: Borla XR-1s Are On The Truck...[Pics & Vid]