intake system

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
intake system

Hey I have a 05 f150 5.4. I have put flow masters on and I am thinking about a cold air intake. Has any body got any input on witch one I should get?

Old 01-14-2012, 09:34 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Modified OEM intake with an Amsoil filter. Aka DWV intake modification.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:53 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Modified OEM intake with an Amsoil filter. Aka DWV intake modification.
X2!.... https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...4l-engine.html or https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...04-2008-a.html

Old 01-14-2012, 10:20 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by davidalbet81
Hey I have a 05 f150 5.4. I have put flow masters on and I am thinking about a cold air intake. Has any body got any input on witch one I should get?
If you do an online search for “air filter test” there is a lot of very good information. IMHO, the CAI units are NOT WORTH THE $$! Unless you are talking about a system that was specifically designed for a specific application there are very little hp/tq gains actually achieved in a street use vehicle and there are very few docs that these mfg’s can produce that actually show an increase in hp/tq in the power-band range of a relatively stock street vehicle.

Recently, Testand Corporation conducted an ISO standards test on automotive air filters which can be viewed at this link: http://www.dieselbombers.com/chevrol...r-testing.html. All I can say is this explains in detail the reason for

(Arlen) SPICER wrote,

“Now that I am not doing the tests and my objectivity is not necessary, let me explain my motivation. The reason I started this crusade was that I was seeing people spend a lot of money on aftermarket filters based on the word of a salesperson or based on the misleading, incomplete or outright deceiving information printed on boxes and in sales literature. "

I would avoid oil impregnated filters. While they have their purpose in off-road applications, Ford/GM/Dodge all have “watch-out” bulletins where the oil has contaminated intake sensors. - they even have a training video for the techs on this (flatratetech.com) .

If you look at the flow data, WIX HP filters flow 98+% of K&N and have a much smoother flow post filter plus excellent filtering, for a fraction of the price! The OE’s have an excellent air intake system. What many view as an issue (is the plastic intake tube with its noise canceling design) actually increases air pressure. It is the same hydraulic concept used by fire fighters creating water supply where psi is low. By having the air cross the path at a 90 degree angle, the pressure is increased proportionally. Fire fighters use what is called a “4-way valve” or “Blake Valve” at the hydrant where the water is cycled through the fire engine (pump) and sent back into the valve crossing the water flow at a 90 degree angle. In this case it also acts as a sound canceling device! At low speeds, this can reduce the flow a tad (which is what most “feel”), but in terms of peak hp/tq, a good high flow filter is all that is needed. You can use a WIX OEM HP replacement filter in the OEM plastic manifold box and either remove the plastic tube and replace it with a piece of pipe/hose, etc or remove the tube completely and replace the tube by building an air ram type intake into the air box manifold (where the pipe use to attach)- make sure ti terminates above the fan shroud to avoid water intake or fan induced pulsations.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:58 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
While a CAI may look cool, it only adds about 6-8 hp unless you have a custom tune. Plus, with the 2005, there is a large risk of running lean unless you have a custom tune. Forget the CAI, do the above mentioned mod and spend you money on a tuner. A tuner is the single best all around mod you can do for drivability and performance.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
agreed with the above

Old 01-14-2012, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
While a CAI may look cool, it only adds about 6-8 hp unless you have a custom tune. Plus, with the 2005, there is a large risk of running lean unless you have a custom tune. Forget the CAI, do the above mentioned mod and spend you money on a tuner. A tuner is the single best all around mod you can do for drivability and performance.
This. And I have a cai. Wish I would have just done the gotts and spent the money on a different mod.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:24 PM
i agree with the above amsoil filter is the way to go i have a performance shop with my buds and thats all we would do if someone came in as well a tune is the best bang for your buck. do you like the sound of your flowmaster?

Old 01-14-2012, 03:47 PM
I love the sound of my flowmasters.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:47 PM
what kind of tuner should I get?

Old 01-15-2012, 01:11 AM
Hey again iam not sure I would buy a tunner
I would do some homework and find someone
close to you that tunes instead I think you would
Get better results instead of a plug in and play
Tuner. Just make sure its a tusted shop that
Knows what there doing that way they can
Restore your factory settings if your not
Happy

Just an idea

Old 01-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by kcoleman558
Hey again iam not sure I would buy a tunner
I would do some homework and find someone
close to you that tunes instead I think you would
Get better results instead of a plug in and play
Tuner. Just make sure its a tusted shop that
Knows what there doing that way they can
Restore your factory settings if your not
Happy

Just an idea
I disagree. There have been several that have gone to "local" shops for a tune and end up with a mess. Not everyone that tunes knows how to tune a Ford truck. They may be very successful with Mustangs but may not have the experience with a truck. I would much prefer a tune from one of the guys that have tuned the trucks for years by email. There are literally thousands of happy customers on these sites running their tunes, me for one(over 100,000 with a PHP tune). Occasionally, they will have a stutter step, but they will get it resolved in most cases, very quickly. Of course, the ideal situation would be to take it to their shop and have it dyno tuned by them, as some have done. I have no hesitance in running an email tune from any one of the four guys that most on this site use, but I know of no one in the Fort Worth-Dallas area I would trust my truck with.

That is not saying you are wrong and I am right, just that I feel much better trusting my truck to someone that has spent years tuning these trucks. When they have the HEX code and a list of my mods, they know what I have and what needs to be done.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ enough said

Quick Reply: intake system