Old 04-13-2015, 02:23 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
The Exhaust Guide

Find out the do’s and don’ts for you next exhaust.

Topics Include:
• Configurations
• Mufflers
• Cats and Catless
• Tips and Exits
• Pip material and Bends
• Recommended Items for Purchase

Read full discussion for further information
Print Wikipost

THE Exhaust Guide

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crap wrong thread

Last edited by hardrock3742; 03-10-2011 at 10:32 AM. Reason: wrong thread
Old 03-11-2011, 09:05 PM
I tried skimming the thread, and read most of it. I didn't see any mention of a Corsa exhaust. Anyone have any thoughts on corsa?

Old 03-11-2011, 10:25 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
From what I've heard, Corsa's fill a niche market. They produce good sound with no drone. The only problem is that they are expensive, and their tone is love/hate.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:16 AM
Awesome thread Punisher and I now know which set up I am going with to replace my SIDO system which is now rusting away after roughly 130,000 miles. I am going with exactly what you have, only question I have is the size of the piping. Probably a dumb question but, would it make any difference to go with 2.5" over a 2.25" with a truck that has a 163" wheel base? Most everyone on here seems to have a shorter truck than mine and I wasn't sure if overall length of the exhaust system would have any effect as far as size of the pipe is concerned.

Edit: just a follow up question, would it be a bad idea to purchase this stuff from e-gay? Seems to be a BIG difference in price over buying direct from Magnaflow

Last edited by mitch150; 03-12-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:34 AM
If I were to do it all over again mitch, I would have bought everything in 2.5". Supposedly 2.25" is better for low in torque, but I have my doubts.

If you can find better prices than performancepeddler.com with the "clubgp" coupon code, then try out ebay.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Okay, thanks Punisher, 2.5" it will be. It might be a few weeks before I order the exhaust since I just dropped $400 on plugs,coils and injectors so that will give me a little time to go price shopping. Thanks again!

Old 03-12-2011, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the info on the corsa. I have read several reviews on them, I am considering one for my truck, but as you mentioned the prices is holding me back.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Great Thread! I have a 2004 F150, 4.6L, with Magnaflow Catback exhaust. Decided I wanted to change up the exhaust a little so decided to put in Highflow cats. I order some Magnaflow 94306 now I need to get them installed. I hope I won't be disappointed w/ the 94306. How much difference is there between the 94306 and 94106?

Also, I have been calling around getting qoutes for installing the new high flow cats and I am getting grief from most of the shops telling me I shouldn't put the high flow cats on the truck. One shop told me that I wouldn't get enough back flow pressure, other shop told me that replacing the four cats with two would cause CEL to come on, one shop refused to even give me a qoute for the work. I doesn't sound like any of you have had any problems once the high flow cats were installed, correct?

I posted some of this in another thread but thought it would be good to post here too since this thread is a sticky.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:12 AM
I've read this write up and then read it again and im a lil confused.... So i really hope im not asking a really stupid question here but here goes....

3. Cats and Catless

Cats, or catalytic converters, are one of the great inventions to come out of the green era (sarcasm). What a cat is exactly, is an element (usually platinum) that heats up and reduces one harmful gas to a less harmful gas. This section will cover three areas of cats: OEM cats and their configurations, hi-flow cats, and no cats.

OEM Cats

OEM cats on the F150 series have changed from the 1997-2011 range. 1997-2005 trucks have a 4 cat system that includes a pair of small cats, called pre-cats, and a pair of large cats down stream that handle the majority of gas conversion. The main goal of pre-cats is to act like a resonator, canceling out unwanted engine and exhaust noise (mostly catered to the elderly and the feminine ). Trucks with a 4 cat setup are in general extremely quiet. Many users opt to remove the rear "fat" cats and only use the pre-cat, which sounds quite similar to hi-flow cats. Some members with 97-03 trucks have had issues with CEL's popping up soon after the removal of the rear cats has been accomplished, but can easily be corrected with a custom tuned programmer or "fooling" the computer with an O2 sensor mod.

The 2 cat system came around halfway through 2005, and every truck after that point has only had the one pair of cats. The 2 cats are just 2 large cats that handle all of the gas conversion and some sound cancellation. Trucks with the 2 cat system tend to still be extremely quiet, but slightly louder than the 4 cat trucks. Nothing can be done to these cats besides removing them all together, or replacing them with a good set of hi-flow cats.

Hi-Flow Cats

One of the greatest mod one can do for their exhaust. Hi-flow cats drastically increase sound quality, volume, and overall aggressiveness of any exhaust. They do this while still complying with emission tests. Hi-flow cats accomplish this by being much shorter than OEM cats, but still having enough of the catalyst material inside to fulfill its job. Depending on the engine size dictates which cats should be used on a given vehicle. Most cats have it specified that they are to be use only on vehicles with equal to less than XX.XX liters or cubic inches.

Many members who have invested a great deal of money and time into their exhaust opt for hi-flow cats. The most widely used cats on the F150 series is the Magnaflow 94106 cats.

No Cats

Going back to the days when cats were first mandated on all US vehicles, people were taking them off. Today is still the same, but not quite as common as it once was. Going catless greatly increases the sound quality, volume, and overall aggressiveness of an exhaust system while also being extremely cheap depending on how you go about it. There are some problems that one may face while running a catless system on a vehicle that comes from the factory with a set on.

A CEL can come on, and usually does, because the O2 sensors pick up on the exhaust gasses being too rich and try to lean out the A/F mixture. This also reduces performance because engine is setting itself out of its ideal parameters to try and correct the issue. This can easily be corrected with the help of a custom tuned programmer, by using the O2 sensor mod, or by installing O2 eliminators.

Even if a CEL has been turned off by means of a programmer, O2 sensor mod, or eliminators, it will not pass a "sniffer test" that many emission shops use. So if you live in a town that requires strict emission testing, going catless is not a good option.

Another possible issue with a catless system is that if police officers are especially strict on cat mods, they will be able to smell you out. Even by just driving by, they can easily smell the "illegalness" of your vehicle.

I want to get rid of the rear cats without having CIL and MPG loss... Plus i've been told it will give me more sound. I could be wrong, as i said before after reading this 3 times now im still very confused and lost on what to do.

I know i have as they call " true duals " with 40 series flows and turndowns. I wanted magna flows but i got this exhaust pretty much for free. I traded 2 cell phones i had nothing in.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated, ALSO sometimes you have to talk in "STUPID" terms for me to understand. Thanks again guys.
FYI, i do like the sound of exhaust out side of vehicle, but the turn downs with 40's has a nice sound i've always been used too and im not big of echo chambers.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:40 PM
How about a "how to" on getting the exhaust manifolds off? I have 3 nuts left on the passenger side if my stock 05 f150 lariat w/ 5.4!

Old 04-29-2011, 10:00 AM
Pipe material added. Pipe bends soon to come.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So I'm looking at Borla Mufflers on Performance Peddler, and Summit. I'm assuminmg the Borla 40358 with its 2.5 in out will fit nicely and work well with the 94106's on my 2004 F150 5.4! I'm going SIDO, with a sweet tip, still looking for that though....any input?

Old 04-30-2011, 06:45 PM
^ check Magnaflow they have a big selection of tips.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
and magnaflow has the cheapest price in stainless tips

Last edited by fine_style150; 04-30-2011 at 07:35 PM. Reason: wrong wording wompppp!
Old 05-17-2011, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by nw150
anybody think the super 10 series flowmasters flow good? i mean really, its one chamber with two wing plates in it, i cant see how it doesnt flow all that great...
There's a reason Mike Troyer calls em Slowmasters.

Quick Reply: THE Exhaust Guide