Old 04-13-2015, 02:23 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
The Exhaust Guide

Find out the do’s and don’ts for you next exhaust.

Topics Include:
• Configurations
• Mufflers
• Cats and Catless
• Tips and Exits
• Pip material and Bends
• Recommended Items for Purchase

Read full discussion for further information
Print Wikipost

THE Exhaust Guide

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 04:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Pick any preferential muffler you'd like for personal sound qualities, but realize that there will be the next best thing to Zero performance benefits. Yes - the stocker IS that good.

Finally something me and one of you magnaflow guys can agree on!

Old 06-24-2012, 10:04 PM
Dynomax has a new mini bullet muffler out. This thing looks like it is basically the closest thing to straight pipe that you can get. I would love to hear some exhaust videos if anyone has one! There doesn't seem to be any out there, however. I bet a Y-pipe after the cats to a 3" pipe, then the mini bullet, another Y-pipe and dual exits would sound mean!

Old 09-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by 4.6 Punisher

3. Cats and Catless

Cats, or catalytic converters, are one of the great inventions to come out of the green era (sarcasm). What a cat is exactly, is an element (usually platinum) that heats up and reduces one harmful gas to a less harmful gas. This section will cover three areas of cats: OEM cats and their configurations, hi-flow cats, and no cats.

OEM Cats

OEM cats on the F150 series have changed from the 1997-2011 range. 1997-2005 trucks have a 4 cat system that includes a pair of small cats, called pre-cats, and a pair of large cats down stream that handle the majority of gas conversion. The main goal of pre-cats is to act like a resonator, canceling out unwanted engine and exhaust noise (mostly catered to the elderly and the feminine ). Trucks with a 4 cat setup are in general extremely quiet. Many users opt to remove the rear "fat" cats and only use the pre-cat, which sounds quite similar to hi-flow cats. Some members with 97-03 trucks have had issues with CEL's popping up soon after the removal of the rear cats has been accomplished, but can easily be corrected with a custom tuned programmer or "fooling" the computer with an O2 sensor mod.

The 2 cat system came around halfway through 2005, and every truck after that point has only had the one pair of cats. The 2 cats are just 2 large cats that handle all of the gas conversion and some sound cancellation. Trucks with the 2 cat system tend to still be extremely quiet, but slightly louder than the 4 cat trucks. Nothing can be done to these cats besides removing them all together, or replacing them with a good set of hi-flow cats.

Hi-Flow Cats

One of the greatest mod one can do for their exhaust. Hi-flow cats drastically increase sound quality, volume, and overall aggressiveness of any exhaust. They do this while still complying with emission tests. Hi-flow cats accomplish this by being much shorter than OEM cats, but still having enough of the catalyst material inside to fulfill its job. Depending on the engine size dictates which cats should be used on a given vehicle. Most cats have it specified that they are to be use only on vehicles with equal to less than XX.XX liters or cubic inches.

Many members who have invested a great deal of money and time into their exhaust opt for hi-flow cats. The most widely used cats on the F150 series is the Magnaflow 94106 cats.

No Cats

Going back to the days when cats were first mandated on all US vehicles, people were taking them off. Today is still the same, but not quite as common as it once was. Going catless greatly increases the sound quality, volume, and overall aggressiveness of an exhaust system while also being extremely cheap depending on how you go about it. There are some problems that one may face while running a catless system on a vehicle that comes from the factory with a set on.

A CEL can come on, and usually does, because the O2 sensors pick up on the exhaust gasses being too rich and try to lean out the A/F mixture. This also reduces performance because engine is setting itself out of its ideal parameters to try and correct the issue. This can easily be corrected with the help of a custom tuned programmer, by using the O2 sensor mod, or by installing O2 eliminators.

Even if a CEL has been turned off by means of a programmer, O2 sensor mod, or eliminators, it will not pass a "sniffer test" that many emission shops use. So if you live in a town that requires strict emission testing, going catless is not a good option.

Another possible issue with a catless system is that if police officers are especially strict on cat mods, they will be able to smell you out. Even by just driving by, they can easily smell the "illegalness" of your vehicle.
Great write up.

Just a question here about the cats that I didn't see mentioned or asked....maybe I missed it. I am new to F150's and the 5.4 (I'm coming from a V8 Audi sedan), but one of the things we did on those motors to increase performance and sound was do what's called piggie pipes. What this is basically, is removing all of the honeycomb cat material that's inside the 2 pre-cats (basically leaving them clean and unobstructed). What this does is free up some HP due to the fact that the exhaust gasses are able to run smoothly through the cats, while at the same time letting the engine run cooler by pulling hot exhaust gasses away from the motor more quickly. It also slightly increases the overall sound level of the exhaust.

In the Audi 4.2 (and I assume this is the same for the 5.4), the pre-cats are really only used at start up to reduce emissions. Once the motor is hot, the main cats take over and the pre-cats just become a big restriction in the exhaust system.

I have to say, doing piggies is a nice inexpensive (read FREE - other than your time) mod and wasn't too difficult to do, even on a small Audi sedan with a (relatively) big V8 stuffed in it. With the Audi at least, this is a job you can do yourself at home (I did my car and helped several others do the same) and I assume if done on an F150, it may be easier in terms of space, but not sure since I just picked mine up about a month ago and haven't been under it too much to really look around. All that's required is the removal of the down pipes from the factory headers and cat-back, cleaning out the pre-cats (several methods for this) and then re-installing. The only down side to this is a CEL due to the higher exhaust flow as it moves past the main cats, but that is easily remedied with either a tune or 02 spacers. Best part is, the system retains its stock appearance and the car passes smog 100% (even here in Ca).

I assume since I haven't really looked yet, that the F150's exhaust configuration would be similar......exhaust manifold, down pipes to cat-back. If so, this should be a pretty straight forward mod.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw this out on the table. Would love to hear what you think and if some may have already tried this.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:53 AM
very great thread. helped me TONS

Old 09-24-2012, 12:42 PM
I thought this was good information regarding the Maxx-Flow (thrush product) in comparison to the Magnaflow muffler. Muffler 2.5" Magflow 1226 pp1226-1 This is the one I installed.

These are the only ones that we know of built here in the USA besides The Brand Name. Performance Products is who builds them using the Brand names old tooling. about 5 of us split the cost on this tooling.Thank you for liking them we have over 100 shop daily that buy this product from us.

They are built the same almost to the t.

Ryan Kline- President
Ashland Muffler House Inc.
1710 Claremont Ave.
Ashland,Ohio 44805
1-877-855-2233

Last edited by Alweeja; 09-24-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Former Sponsor
Great writeup and good reference tool! Reps to those that made it happen...

Old 11-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Man, great write up. This was VERY handy when doing some research on what I should do to my exhaust. Personally, I've been through the ringer with my exhaust. I've got a 4.6 2010 f150. First, I had an exhaust shop do a SIDO Flowmaster (Super 44 I think?) with 90 degree 4 inch tips (I know it's not as popular but I love the way the 90 deg looks from behind). HATED THE FLOWMASTER!!! I do not recommend that to anyone. Then, I decided I'd just get true duals put on (with no muffler, no x pipe or h-pipe). The first three days were awesome... but now it's just loud, obnoxious, claps like a clunker, and has NO quality to it's sound. So, after reading many posts and especially the exhaust bible, I decided to go with Magnaflow 11 mufflers with an x-pipe (by the way I still have my cats). Well then I see that Magnaflow makes an 11 series with a tru-x built in, so I have ordered that to cut down on cost ALOT. I know it's probably not as good as doing an x-pipe and then the mufflers, but the cost difference is dramatic. I'm hoping this will give me the sound I've been looking for. I will post a before/after video next week when I get it done. I will do a cold start, idle, drive by, and WOT for both systems and post the video later. Maybe this will help some guys out there. Thanks for the post bud it was definately helpful!

Old 11-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Oh by the way the muffler I ordered is part #11385

Old 12-03-2012, 12:35 AM
I have a n00b exhaust question. I too have been through the ringer on my exhaust. I have an 08 4.6 and originally put a Magnaflow on it with no other modification, the drone was absolutely obnoxious. So I put a cheapo on it and my mileage naturally went south. So I did some searching and homework on drone and ended up with the Banks CAT back (Part number 48741). I am happy with the tone and sound level for the most part. But right at 1700-1800 RPMs I get a bit of drone in the Cab. Not really noticeable on a flat or down hill, but I live in the foothills and going slow speed up a hill it can be deafening. And of course most of my drive home is up hill residential. I have tried strapping on 4 lbs weights in various location pre and post muffler, with no real noticeable change.

So my questions:

If I add something like this (Schoenfeld 43035 - Schoenfeld Insert Mufflers) would help without destroying my investment in a CAT back system?

Or, if I do high flow CATs will it change the tone enough that the sound waves no longer create the drone, and might it also help increase flow velocity?

With high flow CATs should I change the stock 2 inch pipes after the CATs to 3 inches all the way to the Banks CAT back connection?

Thanks!

Old 03-05-2013, 11:45 PM
What about us 88 to 96 with a straight 6? With a 2.73 rear end and the low rom torque I was thinking set everything to peak a 3500 rpm-ish. I was thinking SIDO and, thanks to your advice, I'm now thinking MagnaFlow with straight back dual pipes in 304 stainless. I want it as loud as I can get but with no drone or pop pop when I back off the throttle. I'm also cheap! Thoughts? In a perfect world it would sound like a V8....

Old 03-27-2013, 03:26 PM
Love the write up! It's very helpful! I've been reading around, and i see a lot of guys on here with Borla mufflers, just curious what mufflers seem to be most popular from Borla? I'm looking for a SIDO muffler, obviously with great tone, but not horribly loud. What do y'all recommend?

Old 03-27-2013, 06:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Research the borla pro xs snobum

Old 03-28-2013, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by fine_style150
Research the borla pro xs snobum
Thanks!

Old 04-04-2013, 10:23 AM
My 2004 new bodystyle FX/4 has/had JBA shorties......and Magnaflow single in dual out exhaust...Roush supercharger and a SCT tuner with a chassis dyno tune. . It just broke the passengers side collector!!! Buddy has a hoist and removed the broke header lasyt night. Passengers side sux!! I'm looking for long tubes/cats to get it back together by SUNDAY night so i can haul my trailer Monday!!!! FRom what i've read by staying up mosty all night...OBX headers seem to fit well/have decent quality? Also the guys suggested Magnaflow cats # 94106 on here. WHERE can i get them overnightedf to Illinois from??? A ebay seller has the OBX setup that says it's catted...but on a forum on here it says they are resonators?? Does that kit come with O2 extenders?? Sorry to ask soo much so fast...BUT my truck HAS to be back together and going by Sunday night!! Thanks alot in advance...Joe 309-338-3210

Old 05-29-2013, 07:57 PM
In regards to turn downs, or "dumps", I personally love them for a major reason. I love a low, deep growl. As with any exhaust system, there are low tones and high tones. What I've noticed that my turn down actually reduced the amount of higher exhaust tones, just leaving the low rumble. Of course it's not as loud as an exhaust with tips, but in my experience is plenty loud enough for people to hear you from a distance, but only gives the lower tones of the spectrum.

Quick Reply: THE Exhaust Guide