Best Ford F-150 tuners, chips and programmers plus reviews and more!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 01:55 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Best Ford F-150 tuners, chips and programmers plus reviews and more!

Hey Everyone,
I know how important reviews are when it comes time to purchase a product, so to help you out, click here to view the 1,000's of reviews we have for Tuners and Power Programmers. With brands like Edge, Superchips, Hypertech, DiabloSport and Bully Dog, you can be sure you are buying with confidence while giving your vehicle the performance it commands!
Helpful Hint- enter your year/make/model when on our site and those reviews will be shown first.

For any questions about products or pricing, please contact our sales team or live chat. As always, we offer FREE shipping on all of our tuners to the lower 48 states!

Happy modding,
Clark

Old 12-11-2014, 06:40 PM
Thinking of getting a programmer

I am thinking of getting a programmer but I'm afraid that enough long run it would mess up my... truck is that possible?

Old 12-11-2014, 06:50 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BertGomez
I am thinking of getting a programmer but I'm afraid that enough long run it would mess up my... truck is that possible?
Howdy & welcome!

Wellsir - if'n ye runs a generic canned tune, then yes it's possible.

Hence - ye be needin' ta run a fully custom-tuned programmer. - specific to yer vehicle and any mods past, present and future. Safest tunes they is. And they ain't no real cost penalty ta jaw at - so ye'd be needin' t' 'zamine yer cabbage if'n ye chose canned o'er custom fer the same dinero!

Caveat o' the day - in any case, ye truck had better be the recipient of a heapin' heppin' o' Exemplary maint'nance, er fergit the whole thang, aight? No bandaids to be had here.

Details and me best recommendation be in here: https://www.f150online.com/forums/ch...-question.html. Give ol' Mike @ MPT a call/email/PM - he be a right good feller.

Be extremely wary of some of the canned junk being peddled in that post above. There are some truly horrible, ineffective, overpriced programmers shown. Hell fahr - the dang SCT X4 ain't even listed! WTFF! BTW - Yall cain't git Edge CS/CTS custom-tuned no more ( blame Edge, the bastiges. ).

Best o' luck! Y'all listen to ol' Bubber

MGD

PS - Er, Bert - mebbie yall shoulda started ye own brand-new thread, as reckon we's a-crappin' in ol' AA's Cheerios

Betchee when ol' Sir Jack sees this'n he may counsel ye on it....

Last edited by MGDfan; 12-11-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:30 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
It's hard to stop laughing long enough to reply, MGD.

However, I'd say you just about nailed it. I certainly would not recommend a CS or CTS since you can't get custom tunes on them anymore. (I got mine before Edge became brain damaged and stopped PHP from loading tunes on them.)

And, I would not worry about a programmer damaging your truck, as long as the tunes are written by a reliable tuner. In my opinion, the trucks that ARE damaged after being tuned are also beat to hell by their drivers. If you treat your truck with respect (that doesn't mean baby it), and give it proper maintenance, it should probably do better WITH tunes than without. I've had my truck custom tuned for about 48,000 miles now, and have had no issues whatsoever. (I bought the truck used with 44,000 miles on the clock, and got my first programmer shortly thereafter, because I couldn't stand the way it shifted when I was passing someone.)

Just so you'll know, the Edge shown in the first post is the diesel version, the gas one doesn't monitor some of those values.

And, like ol Bubber said, don't overlook the SCT X4.

- Jack

Old 10-19-2015, 03:10 PM
2015 5.0 v8 what programmer do i need to get

please advise me on what to purchased for canned tunes new f150 crewcab 57,000 ouch minus 7,800 rebates looking for gas milage but is the power is more thats fine i have a light foot going for the leveling kit tires toolbox 2,300 next week What programmer does anyone recommend

Old 10-19-2015, 05:35 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
I recommend CUSTOM (not canned) tunes from one of the reputable tuning houses, using either a SCT or Diablo programmer.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:58 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Agree....there are too many issues with canned tunes...it is like your mom taking her car in the old days to "Tune-Masters". Yes, for $29 they gave it a tune-up.....it ran, didn't miss and that was about it. OEM safeguards are many times abated and that can/does create logitivity issues.

Find a local dyno shop is the best, also if you understand engines, for about the same price HP tuners has a software program that for the home-mech, will do what you want.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:12 PM
How about JDM, Johnny Lightning Performance or Stage 3 Motorsports?
I have had JDM tunes in my Lightning, 2012 Ford Harley Davidson and my 2014 Raptor.
JDM uses the SCT programmer but they do the custom tuning in house
Wouldn't believe it unless I saw it, 2002 Lightning, 9.40 @ 140 mph at Englishtown!

Old 09-02-2023, 12:22 PM
Do it right

Originally Posted by BertGomez
Had to jump in here and mention a few things…I have a 2012 F150 Platinum SCREW 4x4, and ran nothing more than a 3” MBRP cat-back with resonator delete, the 1/32” hole in the CAC mod, a UPR Mega catch can, and an AFE Stage 2 CAI with an SCT Livewire with tunes from 5-Star. I ran a 93 octane race tune 99% of the time. Also did a bunch of cosmetic stuff like big tires, a 1” rear and 2.5” front leveling kit, all LED interior/exterior…..you get the point.

I bought it with 60,000 miles on it, and ran a tune since the first week I had it. At 158,000 miles I finally blew a coolant seal on the right turbo, that’s when I undertook a full rebuild and about $12k in high performance engine upgrades. I’ve done everything under the sun that can be done, including the “big turbo” setup using Garrett Powermax turbos mounted on BD Diesel exhaust manifolds (look it up if you aren’t familiar; it eliminates the cracked/leaking exhaust manifold issue by utilizing ALL the stud holes). I’m currently undergoing perfecting the tunes from Unleashed Motorsports via seemingly endless datalogs.

I also religiously changed the oil with full synthetic Amsoil Or Pennzoil Platinum with a Motorcraft filter every 3-4,000 miles. I flushed brake fluid, transmission fluid, transfer case and differential fluids every 30,000 miles. I know it ain’t cheap but it’s cheaper than a new truck!

My point is TUNE THAT TRUCK!!!! I know it’s an old thread but there’s new guys every day. If I can get 98,000 miles out of a pretty highly tuned stock truck while I drove it like I stole it, anybody can if they do things right. These aren’t Toyota Camry’s, you can’t expect to dog it out and just feed it fuel and change the oil every 10,000 miles with Dino oil and expect to get a long life out of it….I, however, expect mine to run another 200,000 miles, and that’s pushing 550hp out of it.

Lastly, if you have a 4x4 with the IWE system, do yourself a favor and swap out tge lockers for tge IWE delete setup from Dorman. I’ve seen new IWE’s go bad a few hundred miles after replacement!

Quick Reply: Best Ford F-150 tuners, chips and programmers plus reviews and more!