Old 04-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 88racing
FYI
Its not a gryphon its a SCT Xcal3.
PHP sells these also upon request only.
They aren't listed on their website.
You need to call them.
SCT is the only custom tunable programmer on the market right now for the 09-10's.
Troyer and VMP also are offering them too.
Just so you all know, the Xcal3 holds custom tunes ONLY. I have the SF3, which has canned tunes from SCT built in already. On my 2010, they are useless as they don't support my truck, but for your earlier 2010's and 2009 truck owners, you may find the SF3 works. SCT forwarded to me some revised canned tunes to try, but why should I now that I have the Real McCoy! In any case, eithe the Xcal2, Xcal3, and SF3 all work for custom tunes, which I personally feel should be your only route anyway.

Last edited by Smokewagun; 04-21-2010 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Uh, Spelling.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:42 PM
I went to their website to place an order but didnt see any form for the SCT?? I e-mailed them both so hopefully someone will reply with how I can get one on order .

Old 04-22-2010, 08:02 AM
Originally Posted by used2vtec
I went to their website to place an order but didnt see any form for the SCT?? I e-mailed them both so hopefully someone will reply with how I can get one on order .
VMP doesn't sell the SCT's, and told me I could get one elsewhere and load his tunes on it. They recommended VMP and had no problems with me snaggin the tuner from Justin. I chose to get it from Troyer as I have bought many tunes and exhausts from them and had great experiences. I was going to order Troyer tunes originally, anyway. Then, I see that the cost for the tuner with three custon tunes from Troyer was the same cost as just the tuner elsewhere, so I would basically get three "free" tunes.

Troyer said 4-5 months for tunes originally, but reported a few weeks ago I could see them in about 3 months. I have always run Troyer and always had an Xcal2 (until last year). Even though I liked the display and heard if Bill's reviews, I didn't want to belly up for a Gryphon. Then, I didn't know they'd run their tunes on an SCT, either. After seeing I could run Bill's tunes on an SCT XCal3, I though it would be a great time to see what all the hype is about Bill's tunes. Well, now I think there is some real stiff competition. We'll see. I will have to see how Troyer's tune work out. The 2009's & 2010's are completely different animals from my last 2008, so the wondrous feeling I get with my 2010 could be the same with Troyer. I still think the 2010 is way ahead of my last 2008, but then again, I wasn't running Bill's tunes then.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Wow! That's a LOOONG time! I'd really recommend having a low output battery charger (about 2 Amps) on if things are going to take this long. The last thing you want is a failure due to low voltage midway through the writing process.

- Jack
Yeah, kind of wondering now. Could I use the same trickle charger/maintainer I use on my quad and trailer batteries?

Here's the results (in order) from last night...

ECU Upload = 33 Minutes (0-50% took 7 minutes)
Read Strategy = 4 Minutes
Set Up Device = 1 Minute
Set Up ECU = 20 Seconds
Download Tune (Engine) = 2 Minutes, 10 Seconds
Set Up ECU = 20 Seconds
Download Tune (Transmission) = 1 Minute, 10 Seconds

So, there you have it... almost 42 Minutes! When I returned to stock the other day, it was quicker - maybe 10 minutes? I may be leaving my tow tune in for the season instead of switching between tows.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:36 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
I have something called a "Battery Minder" on my truck, since I drive it infrequently. It supplies a VERY LOW, constant "trickle charge" on the battery that compensates for the parasitic draw from the electronics, but that does not cause the battery to "boil". As I recall, the maximum Amperage it can supply is about 1.3 A, and this drops way off once the battery is charged.

I simply leave that maintainer connected anytime I change the tune in my truck.

I've not really found it necessary to change tunes when "on the road" (and I think it's just a bit dangerous to do so). If I'm towing, I just leave the tow tune on for the short trips away from camp. If I'm not towing, I put the non-tow tune on before I leave the house.

I asked Bill Cohron about battery chargers once and specifically mentioned a 2 Amp charge (the lowest setting on my ordinary battery charger). He said that would be OK. I think that the maintainer you use on your other "toys" should be fine.

I wouldn't put a high Amp charger on it though - I think there can be a danger of a voltage "pulse" through things that could hurt the programmer.

- Jack

Old 04-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The Schumacher Powersports models:

http://store.schumachermart.com/powersports.html

The SE-1-12S Can be mounted in the engine bay permanently - the others are portable.

Wallymart sells these cheaper than mfg list.

MGD v5.0

Quick Reply: About to buy a 2010 F150