About to buy a 2010 F150

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sqidd
Say more, say more!

My truck runs like it has a rag in the throttle body and the trans feels like its sleeping. Did all of that get better?
Hmmm. Well, mine now has an extremely VERY touchy go pedal. It takes off with no lag. Infact, I have to change my drive style to be even more easy off the line, or it pushes me back like it used to when I I'd stand on it. There is absolutely no hesitation at highway or interstate speeds when running a hill... you know that feeling of having to dip into the throttle to get it to downshift to make a grade? GONE. Now, a totally different truck. Very light on it's feet.

I don't drive hard or fast, but I can't believe how sweet it moves with little input on the accellerator. The shifts are firm, but quick. It seems it shifts quicker to the next gear when I am light onthe throttle, but a simple easy push on the go pedal moves the truck easily without the need to downshift. If you do get into it a bit more to facilitate a shift, it scats.

I will say, it takes forever to initially download the ECM... probably 40 minutes. Downloading the custom tune to the PCM takes time as well... about 10 minutes. I reset to stock to see how long it would take, and that took about 7-8 minutes, as well. That's much more that my Xcal2 did with my 2008, but this 2010 is so advanced over my 2008 it isn't funny.

Great job, Bill!

Old 04-20-2010, 03:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Smokewagun
Well, as of yesterday, I am PHP tuned. You 2010 owners will be impressed! I did get one simple CEL code Bill is working on, but it's nothing important. I hould have a re=write today. This is an 87 Performance. An 87 Tow is suppose to accompany the revised 87 Performance tune, as well. WOW! Thats all I can say... WOW!
HOW THE HELL DID YOU GET THAT?!!! I've been waiting for the gryphon to come out from PHP since I took delivery of my truck April 29, 2009!!! Yea, 2009!!

Please give more information!

Old 04-20-2010, 03:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SportTractoF150
HOW THE HELL DID YOU GET THAT?!!! I've been waiting for the gryphon to come out from PHP since I took delivery of my truck April 29, 2009!!! Yea, 2009!!

Please give more information!
FYI
Its not a gryphon its a SCT Xcal3.
PHP sells these also upon request only.
They aren't listed on their website.
You need to call them.
SCT is the only custom tunable programmer on the market right now for the 09-10's.
Troyer and VMP also are offering them too.

Last edited by 88racing; 04-20-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:46 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Hmmm. Well, mine now has an extremely VERY touchy go pedal. It takes off with no lag. Infact, I have to change my drive style to be even more easy off the line, or it pushes me back like it used to when I I'd stand on it. There is absolutely no hesitation at highway or interstate speeds when running a hill... you know that feeling of having to dip into the throttle to get it to downshift to make a grade? GONE. Now, a totally different truck. Very light on it's feet.

I don't drive hard or fast, but I can't believe how sweet it moves with little input on the accellerator. The shifts are firm, but quick. It seems it shifts quicker to the next gear when I am light onthe throttle, but a simple easy push on the go pedal moves the truck easily without the need to downshift. If you do get into it a bit more to facilitate a shift, it scats.

I will say, it takes forever to initially download the ECM... probably 40 minutes. Downloading the custom tune to the PCM takes time as well... about 10 minutes. I reset to stock to see how long it would take, and that took about 7-8 minutes, as well. That's much more that my Xcal2 did with my 2008, but this 2010 is so advanced over my 2008 it isn't funny.

Great job, Bill!
Wow! That's a LOOONG time! I'd really recommend having a low output battery charger (about 2 Amps) on if things are going to take this long. The last thing you want is a failure due to low voltage midway through the writing process.

- Jack

Old 04-20-2010, 07:36 PM
Talking

Nah - just use the MGDfan junior v1.0 method.

Eight D cells taped together (duct tape, of course) with pieces of coat hanger taped to the + and - ends.

Works like a champ and you can save the battery charger cash for more...

wait for it......

MGD!

P.S. This method is fully endorsed by both MGDfan V5.0 (you know - him) and MGDfan Junior V.88.

P.P.S. If you're really worried, tape nine batteries together.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:02 PM
Global Moderator &

Now, you KNOW someone's going to try this! (Hopefully, they live through the experience.)

- Jack

Old 04-20-2010, 08:25 PM

Great job, Bill!
That sounds fantastic. I don’t drive my truck fast at all either (that’s what the Mustangs are for) but the lazy feeling drives me nuts. Stock it feels “unfinished”. It sounds like yours runs great. I’ll go through the same guy you did for sure. Am I correct I the assumption that you have “canned” tunes and didn’t get custom dyno work done?

Thanks for your reviews. I have only had the truck a couple of weeks and it has been very underwhelming. You certainly have provided a light at the end of the tunnel.

Do you have a number/link for PHP? I don't even know what it stands for.

Last edited by sqidd; 04-20-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:41 PM

Great job, Bill!
Im glad you have your tunes installed. Im actually a little jealous . I really need to give them a call and order one. Mod the jet skis or mod the truck, decisions decisions .

Old 04-20-2010, 11:07 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by sqidd
That sounds fantastic. I don’t drive my truck fast at all either (that’s what the Mustangs are for) but the lazy feeling drives me nuts. Stock it feels “unfinished”. It sounds like yours runs great. I’ll go through the same guy you did for sure. Am I correct I the assumption that you have “canned” tunes and didn’t get custom dyno work done?

Thanks for your reviews. I have only had the truck a couple of weeks and it has been very underwhelming. You certainly have provided a light at the end of the tunnel.

Do you have a number/link for PHP? I don't even know what it stands for.
Sqidd - PHP is short for Power Hungry Performance. This is their website: www.PHPtune.com

Bill Cohron will write "custom tunes" for you. They won't be "dyno" tunes, but they will be based on your truck's specifics and your driving style and driving needs.

There are certainly others here though, that can possibly give you what you need. Troyer and DiabloSports come to mind.

- Jack

Old 04-21-2010, 02:02 AM

Great job, Bill!
I'll admit when I got my '10, I was a bit disappointed in the performance, especially after driving my brother's 2008. This is exactly what I've been waiting to hear!

When you specified what tune you wanted, what exactly did you ask for? A general 87 tune, or something more specific. I'm looking to go to PHP soon for a tune and just wanted to make sure I asked for the right thing

Old 04-21-2010, 06:13 AM
NC - start by reading the stickies on this forum. They will answer 90% of your questions.

Then head over to PHP's forums (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/) and peruse the GOBS (that's a MGDfan v5.0 term) of posts, reviews, questions, answers, etc. They will answer the other 10% (and provide answers to questions you didn't even know you had).

Old 04-21-2010, 07:52 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 04-21-2010, 08:19 AM
I'll double check the times tonight when I reload the modified tune. The initial capture of the original stock tune took the looong time. These 2009+ trucks load several programs in each tune, not one like the pre-2009's.

I'll have to admit that my anxiety level is really high when loading this tune just because the 2010 is such a different animal from what I was used to with my other earlier F-150's. When I look at the tuner and it says "Loading ECM" and then a few minutes later it says "Loading TCM", and then a few minutes later it still is going, my blood pressure spikes. I begin to wonder if something is wrong. Then, on start-up after loading the tune, it cranks for a while before starting. That's the real kicker. But, Bill at PHP confirms the truck is just resetting the cam sensor and other things. Then she fires up fine. Sure makes me jumpy, though.

I ordered an 87 Performance tune and an 87 Tow tune from PHP.

Don't delay you 2009+ owners. I think you all will be very impressed.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:28 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'll double check the times tonight when I reload the modified tune. The initial capture of the original stock tune took the looong time. These 2009+ trucks load several programs in each tune, not one like the pre-2009's.

I'll have to admit that my anxiety level is really high when loading this tune just because the 2010 is such a different animal from what I was used to with my other earlier F-150's. When I look at the tuner and it says "Loading ECM" and then a few minutes later it says "Loading TCM", and then a few minutes later it still is going, my blood pressure spikes. I begin to wonder if something is wrong. Then, on start-up after loading the tune, it cranks for a while before starting. That's the real kicker. But, Bill at PHP confirms the truck is just resetting the cam sensor and other things. Then she fires up fine. Sure makes me jumpy, though.

I ordered an 87 Performance tune and an 87 Tow tune from PHP.

Don't delay you 2009+ owners. I think you all will be very impressed.
Hi Smoke.

Yep - normal ... these have a separate TCM and everything is CANBUS interconnected - not exactly the fastest interface - and the SCT flashers are more geared towards reliable flashing than speed.

Flashing speed has never been one of my criteria. I prefer reliability over speed any day.

Good advice earlier - hook up a small maintainer - Schumacher, $19 @ yer local WallyMart works great.

Great results - thanks for posting this - it helps to reiterate that Bill can do superlative custom tuning on SCT hardware as well as Edge hardware.

MGD v5.0

Old 04-21-2010, 10:09 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by shotgunz

Nah - just use the MGDfan junior v1.0 method.

Eight D cells taped together (duct tape, of course) with pieces of coat hanger taped to the + and - ends.

Works like a champ and you can save the battery charger cash for more...

wait for it......

Sorry,
Following this
MGD!

P.S. This method is fully endorsed by both MGDfan V5.0 (you know - him) and MGDfan Junior V.88.

P.P.S. If you're really worried, tape nine batteries together.

Sorry I don't endorse the battery method. I only endorse the use of a battery tender. Peace!

Quick Reply: About to buy a 2010 F150