About to buy a 2010 F150

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by used2vtec
Does anyone currently have a 2010 tuned? I contacted a reputable tuner and this is what I was told.
"We are still waiting on SCT to release data logging software for the 2010's. We have one of our own that we are developing our Saleen SC truck program with and have no transmission control or any data logging parameters. We will have tunes available as soon as SCT gets things updated. There is no ETA on this, we have been bugging them for months now."

Maybe thats why your tuner didnt work on your 2010?
Word from PHP this morning is that I should have them "right away". They couldn't find the HEX code on my paperwork. Hopefully, by tomorrow I'll be tuned. I'll report back.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:58 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
In case y'all were of the impression that this travesty was overlooked, permit me to dispell that notion forthwith:

Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Oh crap!!! *slap head* x 2!

The TONE of the post was MGD in my feeble little senile brain! I'm truly sorry and all I can do is BEG (humbly) your forgiveness.

Shotgunz - it was priceless!

You guys are going to be the death of me if you keep this up. :o :o

Shotgunz - I think I owe you, big time. What was it about "atta-boys and awe-sh*ts"?. I think I just compiled a bunch of the latter, didn't I?

(One day, we need to get together for a drink or two - I'm buying.)

- Jack

And - recommendation for Shotgunz on where to stay while in Tucson schmoozin' & boozin' with Jack:

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-12307043-no_tel_motel-i

A 'Wawa bed'! Bring '88' with you - looks like plenty of room fer a threesome

Have one on me fellas!

MGD v5.0 - The Original. Be wary of poor imitatons.

Last edited by MGDfan; 04-17-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:33 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MGDfan
In case y'all were of the impression that this travesty was overlooked, permit me to dispell that notion forthwith:

And - recommendation for Shotgunz on where to stay while in Tucson schmoozin' & boozin' with Jack:

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-12307043-no_tel_motel-i

A 'Wawa bed'! Bring '88' with you - looks like plenty of room fer a threesome

Have one on me fellas!

MGD v5.0 - The Original. Be wary of poor imitatons.
So what do we do when we make reservations?
Ask for the "MGDfan Super Saver Discount?"

Junior MGDfan v0.88

Last edited by 88racing; 04-17-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by 88racing
So what do we do when we make reservations?
Ask for the "MGDfan Super Saver Discount?"

Junior MGDfan v0.88
I just checked - Both of these 'frequent visitor' discounts are still in effect:

"Junior MGDfan v0.88" passcode=Wawa

"Junior MGDfan v1.0" passcode=Mossberg

Yer good to go!

Dont ferget to ask fer yer special pillows

MGD v5.0 - The Original. Accept no substitutes.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:26 AM
I have a tune coming via SCT from Jon Lund. He's well known in the Mustang world particularly the GT500 lately and tunes my cobra. I have an Xcal3 on its way. This is what he said when I asked:

Yes I have SRA0 in my database and have tuned several 2010 F150s already.... Really all that is needed is a 93 Octane tune, these trucks have adaptive octane strategy and advance and retard timng based on octane tolerance and what you put in at the pump. I don't do anything different for a Tow tune -vs- a Performance tune. It would be $400 shipped for a Xcal3 .

Thanks,

Jon L

He's at www.lundracing.com

Old 04-17-2010, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by Nutty 5.0
I have a tune coming via SCT from Jon Lund. He's well known in the Mustang world particularly the GT500 lately and tunes my cobra. I have an Xcal3 on its way. This is what he said when I asked:

Yes I have SRA0 in my database 1. ...and have tuned several 2010 F150s already....

Really all that is needed is a 93 Octane tune, 2. ...these trucks have adaptive octane strategy and advance and retard timng based on octane tolerance and what you put in at the pump.

3. ....I don't do anything different for a Tow tune -vs- a Performance tune.

Thanks,

Jon L

He's at www.lundracing.com
Hello.

Three big Red flags (bolded).

The other tuners have far more experience in F150's than 'several' trucks. And one at least specializes in the platform almost exclusively. Mustang tuning is different than F150 tuning.

A Tow-specific tune had better be different than a perf tune to control EGTs and changes to the tranny shift points and firmness, being just a few items. If it IS the same - it's a compromise tune. Period. And will NOT be optimal for either. I suppose if you only wanted ONE tune, and were willing to accept less gains, go for it. Just make sure there is a towing limit specified. Seperate tunes exist for a reason. If it's a compromise, it should be stated up front. There is NO WAY a fully-optimized performance tune will safely allow towing up to max tow rating for the vehicle. If told otherwise - it's either BS, or NOT a fully optimized perf tune. So you are NOT getting the perfroamce you thought you paid for.

Adaptive isn't very good at compensating from 87 to 93... it is usually only going to effectively accomodate a couple octane points. Any more and it is far better to have a tune written for the specific octanes expected to be in use. I asked this specific question myself of my tuner - 93 on an 87 tune is going to exhibit significant performance penalties above approx 4,000 rpm.

If all he is going to tune by is yer Box Code (SRA0) and not ask you to read the full 7-digit strategy/calibration, then that item, coupled with the rest of what was said, makes me very uncomfortable - is this just a generic SCT-supplied template tune for the Box Code, with a couple minor tweaks only? It would seem so to me - given the above ....

IMHO - there is enough ambiguity here that I myself would Seek other opinions - call MikeTroyer @ TP, Justin @VMP and Bill @ PHP and Mike @ Diablo first to get a complete range of input on this.

BIG HONKING CAVEAT:
My opinion only formed over the years - I may indeed be entirely out to lunch

~$400 is approx the going rate for an Xcal3 including 3 7-digit matched custom tunes... if it's only one tune included it's too high.

Look - he's probably a good tuner for yer Cobra and perhaps even yer truck - but what was posted just poses more questions and doubt than answers, for me, to be at ease if it were my truck. I don't think you tow much with a Cobra. lol. These heavy, underpowered barn-door-aero bricks posing as the trucks we love really are very different in terms of tuning requirements. What is safe to run as a WOT open-loop AFR in a 'Stang would be catastrophic in an F150, for starters.

www.troyerperformance.com
www.vmptuning.com
www.gopowerhungry.com

MGD v5.0 - The Original. Run away and hide from the imposters.

Last edited by MGDfan; 04-17-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Nutty 5.0 - Though I hate to have to admit it, I think MGDfan is dead right in his opinion of what you're getting in your "tune". I don't like the "one size fits all" approach either (Isn't that what a "stock" tune is)?

However, other people can tune your X3 once you get it if you decide the single tune is not such a good deal after all.

To MGDfan - was that a "self portrait"? I ask this, because I don't wear ties, so I'm guessing it might be you.

- Jack

Old 04-17-2010, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Nutty 5.0 - Though I hate to have to admit it, I think MGDfan is dead right in his opinion of what you're getting in your "tune". I don't like the "one size fits all" approach either (Isn't that what a "stock" tune is)?

However, other people can tune your X3 once you get it if you decide the single tune is not such a good deal after all.

To MGDfan - was that a "self portrait"? I ask this, because I don't wear ties, so I'm guessing it might be you.

- Jack
Nope. Not me - no ties here either. Must be you in disguise then? ;-))

Q: "Though I hate to have to admit it,..." Qu'est que c'est WTF???

MGD v5.0

Old 04-17-2010, 05:23 PM
Look guys, ask Justin from VMP. He's another very good tuner. He knows Jon. I don't need to defend Jon. He's one of the best in custom tuning and doesn't do canned tunes unless your talking stock like most of us. No BS...

Old 04-17-2010, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Nutty 5.0
Look guys, ask Justin from VMP. He's another very good tuner. He knows Jon. I don't need to defend Jon. He's one of the best in custom tuning and doesn't do canned tunes unless your talking stock like most of us. No BS...
Hey.

No need to defend, as I think Imade clear I offered an opinion, based only upon the information tht was presented in yer original post. No criticsm.

And I don't need to talk to Justin, you do.

My experience - my custom tuner feller would kick me into the next county if I towed on any of my Perf tunes - as the comprehensive documentation provided with those tunes specify, in the largest font available: NO TOWING.

That's why I'm acquiring a Tow-specific tune. You do know that Justin provides perf, econ and tow-specific tunes, correct? (see his website).

If tow was the same as perf, and any octane was okay, tuning for all of those permutations would simply not exist. But - they do.

All I'm saying, ok?

MGD v5.0

Old 04-17-2010, 10:05 PM
No offense taken. Jon tunes conservative. On 93 street blower tunes the guy puts 17-19 deg in when the other tuners are going 22-23. My point is Justin is great, I would use him if he was local but I have another great tuner. There's many good tuners that aren't the board favorites.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by svtbolt2001
I am waiting on the 6.2 liter suckers. I guess I will see you at the finish line once you finally make it. lol
And I'll be waiting for you with my 5.4L with a Whipple H.O.

Or I could drive the 07' Mustang which is currently putting down 650 to the tires on pump gas and still pulls down 22mpg @ 80mph on the freeway and wait a lot longer.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by used2vtec
Does anyone currently have a 2010 tuned? I contacted a reputable tuner and this is what I was told.
"We are still waiting on SCT to release data logging software for the 2010's. We have one of our own that we are developing our Saleen SC truck program with and have no transmission control or any data logging parameters. We will have tunes available as soon as SCT gets things updated. There is no ETA on this, we have been bugging them for months now."

Maybe thats why your tuner didnt work on your 2010?
I called JDM and they said they have already put some Saleen blowers on a few 09-10's and Tuned them with SCT software and had the trans figured out. I'm not 100% sure the person I was talking too what as informed as he should have been though.

Last edited by sqidd; 04-19-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Well, as of yesterday, I am PHP tuned. You 2010 owners will be impressed! I did get one simple CEL code Bill is working on, but it's nothing important. I hould have a re=write today. This is an 87 Performance. An 87 Tow is suppose to accompany the revised 87 Performance tune, as well. WOW! Thats all I can say... WOW!

Old 04-20-2010, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by Smokewagun
WOW! Thats all I can say... WOW!
Say more, say more!

My truck runs like it has a rag in the throttle body and the trans feels like its sleeping. Did all of that get better?

Quick Reply: About to buy a 2010 F150