TP JLT Custom Tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 08:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forgive my reviving this, but I am still on the supposed 2#'s of boost from this filter. So, since I posted a couple comments from others that they lost power open element, nobody answered that.

The whole statement of 2#'s from an open element is misleading. It has been mentioned that someone running 12#s of boost adding a massive intake pipe and open element may get that, but of the number of people here running huffers I'd guestimate that less than 10% were running 12+ #'s of boost. A good marketing trick, but not true for the majority of users.

Old 05-13-2006, 08:22 AM
Have you ever owned any roots style vehicle? Being a previous 03 Cobra owner and been around the 03/04 Cobra scene as well as Lightnings I can tell you for a fact that those vehicles repsond well to and will pick up between 1-2 lbs of boost by having any aftermarket intake on it. The less bends and the more consistent the air tract is the smoother the air gets in which improves performance. Why I chose the JLT for my cobra was it was constructed from plastic and painted to match the exterior of my car, being plastic helped with heat soak and higher IAT's which rob power for s/c vehicles; I watched power drop significantly with back to back runs on the dyno with the cobra due to heat soak so a CAI that can increase air flow and reduce IAT's was the best choice for me and a lot of other 03/04 cobra owners. Hope that answers your question.

Old 05-13-2006, 08:30 AM
98navi,
If you look at your referenced posts, i think your examples are for stock Lightnings or lightnings with modified airboxes. If you already have an efficient intake tract then, No, you will not see an increase in boost.
BUT if you have a severely constricted airway to your blower. Then you can see big boost gains. I have 2 examples: the first is the stock air intake on an 03-04 cobra. As jay can attest, these things are really restrictive. SO anything is better than stock. The second is the stock air inlet on a fox/sn95 vortech. This thing makes a 180 defgree bend and necks down to about3/4 of an inch at the bend. Not good. The solution is what people call a power pipe. Many vendors sell (Anderson ford and dallas mustang are two off of the top of my head). This pipe is a 3.5 inch pipe with smooth bends that allows more air to the blower. I went from 10 - 12 lbs on my cobra with one. So they CAN increase boost.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-13-2006, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by gobra
Im not understanding your numbers. You say 270 hp 360 tq with a peak torque of 390? WTF?? The 360 IS your peak torque!!! other wise you would say "270 hp 390 tq". Please clarify.

Also, how about a full page view of the dynosheets on JLT website. The only one i found was a shrunken down version that no one can read except the Bold Peak number.

For the record, I dont have any doubt that a good tuner can create a program for ANY ram air kit. If someone can do it for 12 lbs of boost, i would expect them to be able to accommodate for a little ram air action.

I'm no expert but I believe this would be called a torque "spike". This is where the transmission shifts hard to the next gear creating the allusion of more torque being there than there actually is.

If I am wrong about this someone please correct me.

Old 05-13-2006, 04:48 PM
Thank you greg and gobra for explaining that, thats all I wanted to know. I am very familiar with the fox and sn95, but I lost interest in mustangs post 95 since they axed the best motor they ever produced for what now currently resides there (its a matter of opinion, I know, but thats mine)

Also, Tbizzles question is one that I ask as well, cause if you take that spike in my dyno during the 2-3 shift, I'd be pushing over 500TQ

Old 05-13-2006, 08:30 PM
The dyno runs were in 2nd gear and I am not sure if it every shifted out of it.

Old 05-13-2006, 09:09 PM
evo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by greg hazlett
If it's manually put in second it won't shift to third.

Old 05-13-2006, 10:23 PM
Is a second gear run accurate? I though a 1:1 was necessary for accuracy.

Another thing that can effect boost levels is the ambient temp. When it's hot an humid, we are likely to see the boost drop a bit. When it's cold and dry, there might be an additional pound of boost. I have seen this occure on both supercharged vehicles I've owned.

Old 05-13-2006, 10:52 PM
evo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wittom

Another thing that can effect boost levels is the ambient temp. When it's hot an humid, we are likely to see the boost drop a bit. When it's cold and dry, there might be an additional pound of boost. I have seen this occure on both supercharged vehicles I've owned.
I think it's 3rd for boosted applications(L's) and 2nd for N/A.

Old 05-13-2006, 11:27 PM
As so the satisfied JLT customers

Thank you, my point exactly.

Old 05-13-2006, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by openclasspro#11
he doesn't have to-his customers witness them live @ dyno days-there's a reason his customers praise him--it's the respect we haved for him-my.02$

Some people don't live close enough to visit Mr. T's dyno so don't you think posting graphs would be a good selling tool. Not someones word of mouth.

Old 05-14-2006, 07:12 AM
Originally Posted by wittom

Concur but as long as apples to apples are being compared-both runs were done in 2nd gear then the gains should be accurate.

Old 05-15-2006, 02:08 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to drop by and make an update, and hopefully get this whole "supposed controversy" settled down a bit.

I have just spoken with Jay, we had a great conversation & he will be getting back to me in the next week or so with regards to us doing some testing of his new product, and we have told him that we have interest in carrying the product if we like what we see.

The issue for us is what happens on part-throttle, not just some peak dyno number on one or two vehicles, and Jay & I spoke for quite a while about this. In general, the vast majority of manufacturers of all types of performance parts, and especially those related to airflow, do not do any type of part-throttle testing at all. That is something that drives me up the wall as it's so critical in these trucks (and all vehicles if you're really doing thorough development work, IMHO) - most of what happens is simple full-throttle work on a coupla-few vehicles and the product is thrown out on the market with no consideration for what happens to say, towing, or to part-throttle torque (especially at lower rpms seen more often than not in everyday driving in these trucks). That is so key to how the vehicle feels, fuel economy & how much downshifting the transmission has to do, etc. Part-throttle torque is almost always the key ingredient that so many miss, especially among intake & exhaust manufacturers.

Jay & I also spoke about how to actually do part-throttle testing, we discussed a good deal about how we go about that, and gave him what I hope will be helpful information on how to go about that in general terms, and how the actual "how to" varies depending on the actual dyno and it's capabilities, and it takes time to work out a methodology that will give you data that is comparable & usable.

To be clear, that is really what our original questions about his product were about - not any issues of basic quality, or whether or not it could actually gain peak power, etc., as what we saw in the photos of the original kit was a very large diameter (which will obviously make power @ WOT), and we know the resultant effect on air intake velocity and part-throttle torque when you go past a certain diameter in any airflow type of mod, be it an intake kit or a cat-back exhaust, header tube diameter (which is an excellent example), etc. So we saw the diameter and had immediate concerns with regard to air intake velocity & part-throttle torque from our own extensive testing on intake kits in diameters ranging from 2.5" to 4"+, those with varying dimensions, etc., etc. Jay pointed out that what we originally saw depicted was an older iteration of his kit that he has since made changes to, and we have not had the opportunity to do proper testing on his product.

The bottom line is, Jay seemed like a great guy to talk with after we got thru "butting heads" (so to speak). I think we're both passionate about what we do, and people like that can sometimes "butt heads" in the beginning - kinda like 98Navi & I did - but with quality people, it usually works out in the end, and I have confidence that in talking with Jay that we now understand each other better, and will hopefully be working toward the same goal. Jay is going to be doing some more dyno work in the next week or so, and I hope that he is also able to start doing some part-throttle dyno work as well, and that this goes well for him.

So my thanks to Jay for him time today, and we look forward to seeing the product so that we can do proper testing on it, and hopefully add it to the Troyer Performance line of products.

Old 05-15-2006, 02:29 PM

Couldn't help it

Old 05-16-2006, 06:16 AM
Yes, Mike good talk.
As I said on the phone, with the internet you can not get across or feel the others sarcasiam, emotion or sometimes the point, as you well know can be a problem.

Yes, we are dynoing another 05 150 this or next week just for more data and to check repeatability. I'll give you a call when were done and discuss the results and working together.

Jay

Quick Reply: TP JLT Custom Tune