Keeping white lettering on tires white

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keeping white lettering on tires white

Do you guys have any tips/tricks/methods for keeping the white lettering on your tires white. As we all know, these trucks generate a ton of brake dust on the front wheels and tires. I have tried scrubbing with my regular wash soap. I have also used simple green which seemed to work pretty well but I'm not sure how safe this is.

I'm interested to know what you all do to take care of this situation.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:36 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Simple Green, at 4:1 (water/product) and a nylon-bristled brush will do the trick and is pretty safe.

Be sure to wet-down everything before spraying the tire. Work one at a time and rinse immediately after scrubbing. Pay special attention to not let the nylon brush hit your wheels as it can induce scratching.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:46 AM
I use Ajax and/or Comet. Just get a nylon brush wet put some ajax on wet ur tries and start scrubbing. Thats how i was taught from along time ago and seems to give me the best result so far.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by Meffects01
I use Ajax and/or Comet. Just get a nylon brush wet put some ajax on wet ur tries and start scrubbing. Thats how i was taught from along time ago and seems to give me the best result so far.
The only thing I'd warn about here is... well, a couple of things...

Comet and/or Ajax are pretty harsh cleaners that rely on abrasives and a very caustic mix to accomplish their job. While this works quite well, there are additional risks that come along with the improved functionality...

1. With any acid-based cleaner, you risk the possibility of inducing pitting or etching to any metal that the matrix comes in contact with ... again, low risk but, the risk is there...
2. Because of the pH, you risk etching a driveway (especially concrete).
3. Human health risks are obvious when you're dealing with something like this but, I thought I'd toss that in -- really, any chemical presents risks (hell, you can die of over ingestion of water - which is a chemical) but, in my opinion as a guy that does environmental, health, & safety work as my career, less risk is a better risk.

But, all of that said, you're right... they'll work. It's just those added risks of etching and the human health factors that tend to shy me away from methods like that... I don't use Westley's for the same reasons (which hasn't yet been mentioned but, it will).

-RP-

Old 02-11-2008, 09:58 AM
dont know if it is safe, but been doing it for a llong time with great results, I never clean the tires(unless ultra nasty, I do no offroading it is a sidewalk 4x4) I spray with hyper dressing let it dry, and take a little rag with some wd40 and go ovber the whit letters and this works great for me, I have only had to do this 2 in 8 months and after applying once it last and you can pretty much wipe the black off the white

Old 02-11-2008, 10:12 AM
RockPick im curious to know what you would recommend.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:26 AM
I always use "Soft Scrub with Bleach" with a nylon brush.. Works great and makes the letters super white. Just be sure to rinse the fenders and wheels good.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by pmason718
RockPick im curious to know what you would recommend.

Lots of ways to go about it...

The method that I'll typically use on a client vehicle is the method I described above with Simple Green.

I also use Safe D-Greaser with a foaming spray head and have used All Purpose Cleaner (Meg's D-Line) on them. Lastly, I'll use the late/great Meguiar's Citra-Gel (Discon'd D-Line) on occasion.

I'm itching to try 303 multi-purpose cleaner (based on Boss's recommendation)... I just need to burn through some stock before I buy another gallon of anything.

-RP-

Old 02-11-2008, 10:30 AM
When used with care, Westleys Bleche-Wite has always worked for me.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:34 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
I use Westley's - WITH CARE. Spray it on carefully and sparingly and IMMEDIATELY scrub with a wet brush and rinse thoroughly, then wash the whole tire, wheel, and wheelwell area with standard car wash soap. That stuff is nasty if you let it sit on ANYTHING but there's nothing better for making it white again.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:58 PM
I just use regular car wash soap and water and use a rough rock, like SB2, on the white lettering and they look brand new again.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:12 PM
What I use is FREE and has ZERO pollutants..

Get a sandstone, yup, a rock. I get one that has been in the water for a while and has rounded corners. I use it on the white letters after I've soaped up the wheels and after just a couple of strokes they are like new.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:29 PM
Meguair's All Purpose Cleaner + cut 4:1 (water:APC).....i think i know the key here....spray down and then brush with the described above brush....on to the key...maintenance...it is very easy to keep mine clean because i clean them very often and letting them get filthy requires a more caustic cleaner to return them to tip-top shape...just my opinion

Old 02-11-2008, 10:47 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by SmokeyBear
What I use is FREE and has ZERO pollutants..

Get a sandstone, yup, a rock. I get one that has been in the water for a while and has rounded corners. I use it on the white letters after I've soaped up the wheels and after just a couple of strokes they are like new.
Okay... you're getting ready to see the geologist in me come out... ready?

Would you prefer a quartz arenite (aka: orthoquartzite) or a greywacke (pronouced gray-wacky). Maybe a chunk of calcarenecous arenite? Maybe some zeolite?

Where in KY are you, Smokey?

Old 02-11-2008, 10:51 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by stud_135
maintenance...it is very easy to keep mine clean because i clean them very often and letting them get filthy requires a more caustic cleaner to return them to tip-top shape...just my opinion
I agree, it's the same principle behind anything with maintenance.

Quick Reply: Keeping white lettering on tires white