Keeping white lettering on tires white

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RockPick
Okay... you're getting ready to see the geologist in me come out... ready?

Would you prefer a quartz arenite (aka: orthoquartzite) or a greywacke (pronouced gray-wacky). Maybe a chunk of calcarenecous arenite? Maybe some zeolite?

Where in KY are you, Smokey?
WOW...glad i dont classify rocks for a living lol

Right on thumper

Old 02-11-2008, 10:57 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ehh... I don't either but, I could - legally. I prefer soils & groundwater of the contaminated flavor.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:09 AM
Pick a good safe cleaner... the trick is to get yourself a good brass bristled tire brush (only use on the RWL). Spray the cleaner on the RWL's and let it dwell for a few seconds, and lightly brush the letters with the brass brush.

The "rough rock" or "sandstone" mentioned in this thread probably has the same affect.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:57 AM
Based on the advice here - on my next wash I'm going to use Simple Green with a brush. I've used this method before and got good results but I just wasn't sure how safe it was.

Boss - about the brass brush you speak of, it sounds like you're talking about a brush that is made specifically to clean the tires. Is there such a thing? I have never seen one. Or are you referring to any brass bristle brush in general?

Old 02-12-2008, 09:05 AM
I use the Simple Green method a little differently and have had pleasing results.

I spray it down with S.G. then hit it with Meg's gold class and stiff nylon brush. Rinse a.s.a.p.

Humourus Note:
I always got a kick out my Grandfather telling me how they used to pull their cars down into the riverbed (sugarsand bed) and scrub the tires with river sand and river water. Said nothing would bring the girls running like great big, bright white sidewalls.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:21 AM
Technical Article Contributor

I've always used Wesley's Bleach White. I know the potential side effects, but just do it carefully and you won't run into any problems. It works great. I even use it on my blackwall tires to get rid of the grime. Wesley's Bleach White and a nylon brush. Nothing works better.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by Boss_429
Pick a good safe cleaner... the trick is to get yourself a good brass bristled tire brush (only use on the RWL). Spray the cleaner on the RWL's and let it dwell for a few seconds, and lightly brush the letters with the brass brush.

The "rough rock" or "sandstone" mentioned in this thread probably has the same affect.
Boss, what is a good safe cleaner IYO? I have noticed in other threads that you warn others to stay away from harmful products to be on the safe side.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by toolmaann
When used with care, Westleys Bleche-Wite has always worked for me.

x2 Westley's is the way to go. nothing better.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:49 PM
I use Armor All Triple Action Wheel Cleaner. Spray it on, let it sit for a minute, and hose it off. The brake dust on my truck is really bad and this stuff makes the lettering on my tires white again without scrubbing.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by FlyerFX4

Boss - about the brass brush you speak of, it sounds like you're talking about a brush that is made specifically to clean the tires. Is there such a thing? I have never seen one. Or are you referring to any brass bristle brush in general?
You could use any soft brass bristle brush. The one I have I picked up in AutoZone or Advance Auto, or one of those stores in the detailing tools section.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by Powercat
Boss, what is a good safe cleaner IYO? I have noticed in other threads that you warn others to stay away from harmful products to be on the safe side.
I use 303 Aerospace Cleaner. It cleans very well, and you could use it full strength to wash your hands... that's how safe it is. It isn't cheap, but it's safe for your vehicle, for you, and for the environment. It also has very good dilution ratio's.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:05 PM
Eagle One

I'll toss my .02 in on this one because I haven't seen anyone mention it yet. I've had good luck using Eagle One All Wheel & Tire Cleaner scrubbed with a nylon bristle brush. It does a good job at taking the brake dust off the wheels and tires and turns the letters bright white again (with little scrubbing).

Old 02-12-2008, 07:48 PM
Well if you want the best and easiest way to get em' nice and white again, use a S.O.S pad!! Nevermind this foolish 4-1 ratio BS, you fellas got to much time on ur hands to be foolin' around with that! Grab a SOS pad and some water and scrub the letters, within a few minutes they'll be lookin brand new again, and it won't cost ya a fortune to buy Meguirs or Simple Green. $0.99/box!! I guarantee its the best and quickest way to clean em' up!!

Old 02-12-2008, 08:41 PM
I know how to solve this myself. The next set of tires I purchase will be blackwall, lol. Im having trouble with all these options on deciding the easiest and safest way of getting them clean.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by Boss_429
I use 303 Aerospace Cleaner. It cleans very well, and you could use it full strength to wash your hands... that's how safe it is. It isn't cheap, but it's safe for your vehicle, for you, and for the environment. It also has very good dilution ratio's.

Great! Thanks for the input. Where can I find it?

Quick Reply: Keeping white lettering on tires white