Porter Cable 7424 Dual Action Polisher

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 11:03 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Porter Cable 7424 Dual Action Polisher

For everyone that has been afriad to utilize a 'polisher' on their vehicle for fears of 'burning the paint', this is a product that you should reconsider!

I was one of the people that I just mentioned and was SCARED TO DEATH of getting a machine that spins around my paint. I just knew I'd cause problems that I'd have to have a professional correct... I was wrong.

This past weekend, I broke out my new Porter Cable 7424 Dual Action Polisher out of the box and tossed a Meguiar's buffer backing plate on it. I started with a product that is intended for use with a machine rather than by hand ... Meguiar's #9 Swirl Remover.

I've utilized this product in the past by hand and have had decent results but, never perfect.... or, if I did achieve perfection, it didn't come in one or two coats... typically more like 3... and three by hand is a LOT of work.

The PC effectively cuts all those additional layers out of the mix by applying the product the way it should be applied... mechanically. The product was worked into a very thin layer across my paint and until it was nearly dry (which is the proper application technique for #9). I eliminated swirls/spiders that I would've had to put at least 3 coats on by hand to take care of...

The great thing about this polisher is that the head of the polisher actually moves in two directions; in a circle and up and down. This nearly eliminates user error and damage to the paint as the polisher is really never sitting in a 'circular pattern' in one spot as long as the user is moving the polisher. This is VERY important.

To make a very long story short about this product... I applied a total of two coats of polish/wax in about 10 minutes... that's 5 mins per coat on a SUPERCREW! So, obviously, you can see how fast this thing is capable of working and, once you get the feel for the machine, you really start wizzing across the paint.

The best deal that I could find on the PC was from Coastal Tool. They offer a bonus kit (free) that includes a backing plate with the polisher and a 6" counter weight. The polisher also comes with a pad (which I don't recommend using unless you're sanding a board... it's AWFUL). The price is right... $119

Further, I recommend using Meguiar's pads. They come in a variety of 'aggressive levels' but, Premium Auto Care has a kit that you can get that comes with just about everything that you need (a backing plate and three different pads. Here's a LINK.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. There are SEVERAL folks here utilizing this great tool and I'm sure they know far more about it than I do. I simply wanted to try to help curb some people's anxiety about a power tool on their paint... trust me, I was one of those chronic anxiety types... I'm now a changed man and will never go back to full hand-application!

RP

Old 02-18-2004, 02:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RP

does the head that comes on the 7424 in that kit need to be replaced, or is it a good one?

I ask because I don't need most of the kit from Meguires, just the Soft Buff W9006 Foam Finishing Pad. So instead of spending $45 on the kit I would just get 2 or 3 of the W9006s.

Tom

Old 02-18-2004, 08:36 AM
Moderator &

Tom,

Let me get home tonight and look at the backing plate that comes with the 7424. As I recall, it didn't have much padding over the velcro and thus worried me that I could accidently rub something while using it. I'm not certain of this though...

I know the Meg's plate is heavily padded and nearly the exact size of the velcro backing on the pads... plus, if you want to go up to a larger pad, the backing plate that comes with the kit or the bonus 7424 kit are both 6"....

RP

Old 02-18-2004, 10:29 AM
Yea, I'm not a fan of the 6" hook & loop that Coastal sends with the PC. It also comes out really close to the edge of the 6 1/2" Meguiar's pads. I prefer the 5" backing plate with the 6" counter weight, and the 6 1/2" pads.

However, some use that 6" backing plate, and are just very careful not to bump it against anything.

Old 02-18-2004, 10:36 AM
Thanks

That's good enough for me. I'll get the suggested Meguires kit and go with your suggestion.

I have considered getting one of these (a buffer) for year. Looks like this is the animal go get AND add the Meguires backing plate and finishing pads.

Do the finishing pads last a long time or should I just plan on getting a few extras to have on hand? I am just doing my truck with it.

Tom

Old 02-18-2004, 11:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You talked me into it! I ordered both the polisher and the pad kit this morning. I might be hitting you up for some additional advice on how to use it - like in removing some minor scratches - when everything arrives. Thanks!

Old 02-18-2004, 02:28 PM
A combo that I like is the 6" velcro backing plate with the 7.5" pads from properautocare.com.

The concave pad design is easier to work across the paint and all that foam hanging over the edge means you won't accidentally hit your paint with the backing plate. Plus since the edge of the 7.5" pads are angled to a "point" you can work that edge right into tight spots (like right underneath the side mirrors and around the tailgate handle).

chknbone

Old 02-18-2004, 04:27 PM

Last edited by MikeF150; 01-06-2005 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-19-2004, 01:35 AM
Hey Mike

Which of those pads would you use on a vehicle with paint that is in beautiful shape?

Tom

Old 02-19-2004, 09:20 AM

Last edited by MikeF150; 01-06-2005 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:48 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Porter Cable 7424 Dual Action Polisher

Originally posted by RockPick
..<snip>....Further, I recommend using Meguiar's pads. They come in a variety of 'aggressive levels' but, Premium Auto Care has a kit that you can get that comes with just about everything that you need (a backing plate and three different pads...<snip>..
Brad,

Congrats on getting away from the process of getting a bad rotator cuff.

As for Pads, I have to agree with chknbone and go with the Lake County pads. I got dad a kit for his PC, and it works great.

Also the orange power pads work wonders
http://www.properautocare.com/orangepowerpad.html

A well spent investment is the 4" head for the PC, as this pad size works great for tighter areas, and spot fixing scratches, rather then tearing up a larger area.
I use it when polishing my motorcycles, rather then trying the single pad on my Cyclo.
http://www.properautocare.com/4inspotreppa.html

Welcome to the world of fast, pain free polishing

Old 02-24-2004, 11:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, my PC polisher came last Friday and I just couldn't wait for my pad kit to arrive before trying it. So, on Sunday I washed the truck, dried it with my new MF towels, did the clay bar routine, then whipped out the polisher to see what it would do.

I started out with the hard pad and 80 grit sandpaper on high speed in the center of the hood.... (I can see RockPick clutching his chest!) Nope, actually I started out with the PC foam pad and low speed (3) with some of my favorite Liquid Ebony polish on the tailgate. After some experimentation, I eventually got up to higher speed (5) as I finished the whole truck. I then removed all of the LE residue (not much) with another MF towel and did the full Zaino (with ZFX) treatment twice.

I rolled the truck outside at about 2 PM (having started at 11 AM) and wow, what a shine! My (Oxford White) FX4 always had one hell of a paint job right from the factory, but you ought to see it now. Better yet, I dropped it off at Separd Ford in Canandaigua, NY last night for a little service and the guys in the Service Department were flat out floored. Thanks for the great advice guys!

Old 02-24-2004, 02:54 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by 2stroked
...Thanks for the great advice guys!
You'll get my bill in the mail. LOL!

Oh yeah, I don't charge guys that use Meguiar's. LOL!!!

Heck, I can't take credit... oodles of folks have been pushing me to get one and, as you can read, I only recently did it.

RP

Old 02-25-2004, 02:05 PM
I don't know about RP's heart, but you definitely made mine jump there 2stroked. I had a bad case of pinkeye this past weekend so instead of my contacts, I'm having to wear my old glasses that are really out of prescription... I almost hit my nose on the monitor screen making sure I had read that right before I saw you were joking!

chknbone

Old 02-25-2004, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the review RP. I've been thinking about overcoming my fears of machine buffing for a while now, sounds like there's nothing to be afraid of. I'm not in a big hurry to run out and buy one, but hell, it's something else to put on the detailing wish list, right? Just a couple of questions, and I apologize if these have been covered in other threads because I didn't bother to do a search...

1. It seems PC is the "it" brand when it comes to polishers. What is its big advantage over the polishers for $30-$40 at Sears or the local hardware store?

2. How well do they work with synthetics like Zaino? Do they make a difference in shine (better or worse?) Or would the main appeal for a synthetic job be that a PC would make the job go a lot quicker.

Thanks, as always, for any info.

-G

Quick Reply: Porter Cable 7424 Dual Action Polisher