Porter Cable 7424 Dual Action Polisher

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 05:09 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Graphic
1. It seems PC is the "it" brand when it comes to polishers. What is its big advantage over the polishers for $30-$40 at Sears or the local hardware store?
Here's my take as I'm not as versed as some in this department. The polishers at Sears and such are typically orbital buffers which are VERY different from the PC 7424. The 7424 rotates, as I've mentioned earlier in this thread, in two paterns. One, the head rotates and spins, secondly, the entire pad moves up and down thus providing two different movements (dual-action). This, in turn, helps to prevent causing more problems than you're solving. I'm told that an orbital, in the wrong hands, can be disasterous as it simply spins in one motion and has a much more powerful motor.... also faster revolutions maybe? I wouldn't know first hand though... I don't own one.

2. How well do they work with synthetics like Zaino? Do they make a difference in shine (better or worse?) Or would the main appeal for a synthetic job be that a PC would make the job go a lot quicker.
I used it with NXT which is a full synthetic. I couldn't attest for a difference in shine but, I can tell you that it 'works' the products better than hand application plus, you gain the ability to apply very thin and even coats (which is fairly difficult by hand). You did, however, hit the nail on the head though; the main appeal is the time factor. I applied a coat of NXT to the entire surface area of my SCREW in something like 8 minutes I believe.

I hope that clears it up a little. I'm sure Boss will be along shortly to add to my post as I'm definately not the authority on this stuff... I know enough, at this point, to be slightly dangerous...

RP

Old 02-25-2004, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2. How well do they work with synthetics like Zaino? Do they make a difference in shine (better or worse?) Or would the main appeal for a synthetic job be that a PC would make the job go a lot quicker.
I would think it would be fine for taking off the Zaino but not sure about putting it on. The thing I have read over and over about Zaino is it is important to put it on in an up & Down motion and not circular.

The reason is that is supposed to help with light reflection and thus a better over all shine.

However, I not being an expert can not tell you one way or the other. Perhaps one of the other experts like RockPick, Boss or someone could expand on that reasoning about light reflection and the method, at least for Zaino, is suggested to be put on that way…

Old 02-25-2004, 05:26 PM
This is what the Zaino Website says about using an orbital polisher:

Q: Can I use an orbital polisher to apply/remove Zaino polish?

A: Yes, you can use an orbital to apply Zaino Z-2, Z-3, or Z-5. I don't recommend it because you waste too much polish that way. The pad on an eleven inch polisher can absorb almost enough polish to coat your entire vehicle. Each time you use an orbital to apply Zaino polish, you are probably wasting as much polish, if not more than you actually applied to the car.

Zaino polish applies easily by hand, especially if you dampen the applicator pad with water and spritz it with Z-6 before applying it.

If you use an orbital to remove the residue, you should place a white, 100% cotton towel between the pad and the paint, and keep it turned and refolded often so that you are removing the residue with a clean section of towel all the time.

Note: A single orbital pad WILL NOT remove the polish residue from an entire vehicle. You will have smears if you don't use a towel and turn and refold it frequently.

John

Old 02-25-2004, 05:47 PM
It gets kind of confusing because below is from the same site and what I was talking about as far as Zaino and light reflection.

As I said I am no expert on it, but have always applied my Zaino by hand as described below for, hopefully, the best results…

TRICKS:
Want people to envy the look of your vehicle. Want that Show Winning Edge and Custom Paint Look. Want the deepest, wettest, slickest, clearest, richest, and shiniest paint ever. Apply two more coats of Show Car Polish. Show Car Polish will continue to get deeper and wetter with each succeeding coat, up to five coats. You can however, apply as many coats as you want of Show Car Polish. You will not believe the depth and optical clarity of the wet-looking gloss. Follow up with Z-6 "Gloss Enhancer" Spray between every coat of Show Car Polish and see how Incredible your vehicle looks!

Want an even higher level of optical light refraction and reflectivety. Here's how. When applying Show Car Polish do the following; On all Top surfaces of vehicle, use a back and forth motion (from front bumper towards windshield). On all Side surfaces (doors, fenders, etc.) use a vertical motion, up and down. This technique will increase the way light attracts and reflects off of Show Car Polish. The body lines and contours of your vehicle will seem to glow. This trick really works. Remember to use Z-6 "Gloss Enhancer" spray between every coat of Show Car Polish.

Old 02-25-2004, 06:01 PM
Moderator &

Z throws another curve ball!

LOL!

SOOOO... the way I read it, use an orbital to apply but, don't use an orbital to apply...

Ahh, the clearness of mud.

RP

Old 02-25-2004, 06:11 PM
LOL - I read the quotes that I posted to mean that you can apply with an orbital polisher, but it's not the recommended application.

I think it is likely that you get the best effect from the Zaino when you apply it by hand in the manner quoted by 01 XLT above.

I remember reading that one of the reasons that an orbital polisher works better than applying wax by hand is because of its speed and that it does produce more heat which allows the wax soften more and fill in the surface pores better than trying to apply by hand (the same heat can be produced by hand waxing, but requires more effort than most are willing to give). With Zaino, you don't need the heat or effort to work it in, so an orbital polisher is not as helpful or necessary.

Just my .02...

John

Old 02-25-2004, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the review RP. I've been thinking about overcoming my fears of machine buffing for a while now, sounds like there's nothing to be afraid of. I'm not in a big hurry to run out and buy one, but hell, it's something else to put on the detailing wish list, right? Just a couple of questions, and I apologize if these have been covered in other threads because I didn't bother to do a search...

1. It seems PC is the "it" brand when it comes to polishers. What is its big advantage over the polishers for $30-$40 at Sears or the local hardware store?

Thanks, as always, for any info.

-G
Graphic,

First................ Yep, not much to worry about when using the PC.

RP pretty much described the difference between the inexpensive polishers, and the PC. I would add, that the variable speeds of the PC allow you to work the products at the correct speeds. When you want to get a little more aggressive, you can turn up the speed. When you want to just lightly apply a product, you can turn the speed down on the PC.

Actually, you can apply just about any product with the PC. To be honest, I doubt that you will see an advantage to "looks" when it comes to applying synthetic waxes......... the main advantage is speed, and less work involved. However, when dealing with cleaners, polishes, and even some glazes, I honestly believe the PC improves the finish, becuase of it's ability to work the products more thoroughly, and evenly. Therefore, when you are completely finished with the entire multi step process................ the PC will have added some benefit to the overall shine/depth/gloss.

In other words, don't just get the PC to apply waxes or sealants!

Old 02-25-2004, 06:39 PM
One last thing..............

When I was using Zaino on my truck, I ran a test one day applying the "Z" to one door by hand the usual way (as Sal suggests), and applied "Z" to the door next to it with a PC. I'll be damned if I could tell a difference in looks when I was done?

Now, if I were using a wax/sealant that had some light/slight cleaning abilities, I might choose the PC more often than not, to aid in the cleaning process. Zaino has no cleaning abilities, so one could use a PC to speed up the proces, or save on the arms, but other than that, I don't see much of an advantage or disadvantage?

Old 02-25-2004, 06:46 PM
JohnAndDar,

Hope you didn’t take my post wrong, and I do gratefully accept you’re .02 and much more if you’re willing to offer.

I try to learn about detailing and the ins and outs, but there is so much to it I don’t think I will ever be up there with the likes of you, RockPick, Boss and others. That’s one of the reasons I do use Zaino because you don’t have to worry about using a buffer…

I don’t really understand all the other products for scratches, swirls, glazes and the list goes on. I just try my best to keep the paint in as good as condition as I can by washing regularly and polishing and when needed claying…

One of these days I will be moving in next door to RockPick and then I won’t have to worry about learning and just bugging him to help me. Plus I understand he loves to throw free neighborhood bbq’s all you can eat but bring your own drink…

Don’t worry RockPick I will bring my own Dr. Pepper and maybe bring you a few as well…

Old 02-25-2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by 01 XLT Sport

One of these days I will be moving in next door to RockPick and then I won’t have to worry about learning and just bugging him to help me. Plus I understand he loves to throw free neighborhood bbq’s all you can eat but bring your own drink…

Don’t worry RockPick I will bring my own Dr. Pepper and maybe bring you a few as well…
Now THAT I would like to see............ RP and 01 as next door neighbors!

Wait!!!!!!! They had a couple of families like that in Kentucky once............ the Hatfield's and the McCoy's......... and it didn't work out real well!

Old 02-25-2004, 09:09 PM
01 XLT Sport,
No worries...I didn't think there was anything to be taken wrong from your posts. I really enjoy this forum and want to try to contribute when I can. I still have a lot to learn and can't be classified with Boss and RP when it comes to breadth and depth of car care knowledge.

Boss_429,
LOL...Hatfield and McCoy's I'm cracking up just imagining them as neighbors's.

Hmmm, I wonder if we could crash the next neighborhood BBQ...Hey RP, you'll have to let us know when that is....

John

Old 02-25-2004, 09:16 PM
OK guys, been reading this thread for a few evenings. I have been using Mothers since 1990. First with at with a 11" orbital buffer and since about 97 a PC. I have an old classic car that has never had anything on it but Mothers sealer / glaze and I have been honored with several paint awards at national shows. I have tried Maguiars now and again and have always moved back to Mother's. However, this thread has got me thinking about Maguiars again and I ordered some 9, NXT, & 26. I am going to use Maquiars at some point on my F150 (currently it has Zaino on it that I tried for the first time a few weeks ago) and if it is good then I will come back and say you guys are onto someting. On the other hand, if my 'ol Mother's kicks Maguiars butt I will be suggesting you give the simple approach of Mother's a try (SMILE).

Screwdrive

Old 02-25-2004, 10:00 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Screwdrive
...has never had anything on it but Mothers sealer / glaze and I have been honored with several paint awards at national shows...
Mother's seems to make some great products Screwdrive. I certainly can't blame you for sticking with what works...

The bottom line is this, find a product that gets the results that you demand and enjoy and stick with it. For me, it's been Meguiar's... for you it might be Mother's.

I'm anxious to hear if you give the NXT a try however... if you do, please let us know your opinions as you've been doing this stuff alot longer than I have been...

BTW, what kind of classic car do you have? Have any pics?

RP

Old 02-25-2004, 10:11 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by JohnAndDar
...Hatfield and McCoy's I'm cracking up just imagining them as neighbors's.

Hmmm, I wonder if we could crash the next neighborhood BBQ...Hey RP, you'll have to let us know when that is....

John
Did you all not get the memo about the Hatfield's and McCoy's? CLICK HERE

You see, we've risen above our differences and have decided to become one.... LOL!

BBQ? When? I'm there!

RP

Old 02-25-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
Did you all not get the memo about the Hatfield's and McCoy's? CLICK HERE

You see, we've risen above our differences and have decided to become one.... LOL!

BBQ? When? I'm there!

RP
That's up to you, or at least thats what your wife said. She said she already picked up all the steaks as well. I like mine med/rare, just a little pink in the middle, ok good buddie?

Quick Reply: Porter Cable 7424 Dual Action Polisher