Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

Autospring install with photos

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 08:24 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autospring install with photos

UPDATE: Most of the original pics were lost and I had to improvise some new ones. A few of the new pics were taken when I was replacing the 2.5" spacers outlined in the original guide with 1.5'' spacers. In other words, the pics may look a bit different but they still get the point across.

*note that I may not follow the order that is listed in the Autospring instructions*

Step 1: Remove the tire. I don't have a photo of this because if you are unsure about how to remove the tire then you should abort the mission immediately.

Step 2: Remove the 30MM lower strut nut and the 15mm sway bar endlink nut. The instructions claim that you will need air tools to remove the 30mm nut. I found that
this was not true and as a matter of fact I even did it without the 30mm socket and ratchet because my ratchet gave up when I started the job. I wound up putting another wrench on the end of the 1-1/16" wrench for leverage and loosening the assembly that way.

Step 3 Remove the (3) 15mm upper strut nuts

Step 4: Remove the upper ball joint nut and hit where indicated with a hammer until it pops loose *note that I didn't completely remove the nut before breaking
the joint free so that is why I am using the pliers in the photo. I recommend that you completely remove the nut first* BTW, this takes some pretty strong hits to break loose, but it should pop within 2 or 3 hits.

Step 5: View with the upper ball joint disconnected. Note the way that the knuckle is tied up. This keeps it from hanging by the brake line as it would it it weren't tied up.

Step 6: Now remove the strut by lifting up on it and pushing the bottom of the strut toward the rear of the truck. You should then be able to lower it and pivot the top forward and out.

Step 7: Install the Autospring spacer onto the strut.

Step 8: Wiggle the strut back into place and reinstall the upper strut nuts and the lower strut bolt and nut. Go ahead and tighten them. BTW,the nuts that came with my Autospring spacer were 17mm.

Step 9:
Place a jack under the lower control arm and raise until you can push down on the upper control arm and fit it into place. Note that you do not need to raise the lower control arm too far, only enough so that you can pry down on the upper control arm and fit the ball joint into place. I used the 1-1/16" wrench for this. When tightening the upper ball joint nut you will need to continue prying downward on the upper control arm to keep the joint from spinning as you turn the nut.

Step 10: Replace the tire and repeat the process on the other side.

Step 11: Drink beer.

After 2-1/2" Autospring spacer. The truck actually settled about 1/2" higher than shown in this pic by the time I had driven it a few hundred feet.

Old 01-21-2006, 08:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thorough write up with pics, if they were all like this things would be much easier! Good job!

Old 01-21-2006, 08:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nice write up man!!

Old 01-21-2006, 08:42 PM
Aaron....Great writeup. I was trying to install mine today but got stuck right after taking the tire off. My problem was that I couldn't remove the 18mm nut on the "bottom" of the sway bar link as per the instructions. It looks like you took of the "top" nut which was 15mm. I was going to try that but didn't want to go against what the instructions said. Great pictures...Think I may try mine tomorrow. How far can you drive it before getting it aligned? If I do it tomorrow, it may be a few days before I can get it aligned, but I only drive 10 miles a day.

How long did it take you? Did you do it by yourself?

Thanks,

Brian

Old 01-21-2006, 08:43 PM
Nicely done. Great pics.Must of took an extra hour with stopping for the pics though Truck looks much better

Old 01-21-2006, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by runnerbl
How far can you drive it before getting it aligned? If I do it tomorrow, it may be a few days before I can get it aligned, but I only drive 10 miles a day.

How long did it take you? Did you do it by yourself?

Thanks,

Brian
As for getting it aligned, I can only give you my opinion and that is I don't feel that you need to be rushed into getting an alignment. I have seen an alignment printout of what these trucks are showing after the spacer install and it was only ~ 1/2" of toe-in. That isn't good but it isn't enough to start a serious wear pattern within 100 or 200 miles either.

The install started at 3:30 and I had the first side done and back on the ground ~5:00. The second side was done within 30 minutes. I was slowed on the first side by the broken ratchet and by taking the photos.

Old 01-21-2006, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by jimmy k
Nicely done. Great pics.Must of took an extra hour with stopping for the pics though Truck looks much better
Yeah, and I had to stop and wipe off my hands every time I took the photos. Didn't want to get the camera dirty.

Old 01-21-2006, 09:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Aaron_j
Yeah, and I had to stop and wipe off my hands every time I took the photos. Didn't want to get the camera dirty.
Gloves do wonders keeping hands clean, no dirty camera pics.

Old 01-21-2006, 09:43 PM
I think I looked at the instructions once and said "**** that." I never removed the strut, at least not the bottom 30mm nut. I removed the upper control arm/ball joint nut, the steering link nut, and the sway bar nut. Swung the strut down and out, installed the spacer and put it back. Much easier IMO.

EDIT: Actually, I think -TXF150- did it all, I just watched and smoked a couple cigs. Right Chris?

Old 01-21-2006, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by 02SuperCrew4X
I think I looked at the instructions once and said "**** that." I never removed the strut, at least not the bottom 30mm nut. I removed the upper control arm/ball joint nut, the steering link nut, and the sway bar nut. Swung the strut down and out, installed the spacer and put it back. Much easier IMO.

EDIT: Actually, I think -TXF150- did it all, I just watched and smoked a couple cigs. Right Chris?

Where is the steering link nut?

Old 01-21-2006, 09:56 PM

Where is the steering link nut?
I think he is talking about the upper ball joint nut.

Old 01-21-2006, 09:58 PM

That looks sweet!

Old 01-22-2006, 01:12 AM
My problem was that I couldn't remove the 18mm nut on the "bottom" of the sway bar link as per the instructions. It looks like you took of the "top" nut which was 15mm. I was going to try that but didn't want to go against what the instructions said.
I just replaced my front sway bar bushings yesterday and did the same thing. I thought by loosening the 18mm nut the whole thing would come off. After it loosened it just spun. I think the trick to get that nut off is to use an open end wrench on the 18mm nut and a ratchet to hold the very end of the bolt which maybe a 8mm. After screwing around long enough, I went ahead just removed the 15mm nut at the top. You may need to use an open end 15mm wrench on the black part of the upright to keep it from spinning.

Aaron_j, if I ever cross your path the drinks are on me for that write up. Waiting for my Autospring to arrive. Taking it to a buddy's shop to install with a copy of your write up and pics. Many thanks!!!

Old 01-22-2006, 01:12 AM
Banned
Nice!

Old 01-22-2006, 01:17 AM
Originally Posted by Aaron_j
I think he is talking about the upper ball joint nut.
Probably. I dont know. The one attached to the steering.

Quick Reply: Autospring install with photos