Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

Autospring install with photos

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 12:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where is your picture of step 13?

Old 01-23-2006, 02:39 PM
Wow, Aaron all I can say is very well done. If I didn't know better I'd swear I was reading that straight out of an offroad publication. And the pics were awesome.

So now question time. I've ready to order my autospring, but I'm debating the difference between the 2" and the 2 1/2". Wondering if that 1/2" is worth it, or has any drawbacks compared to the 2". I wouldn't think that there would be much difference in the two units, but does anyone have anything bad to say about either one? ie. wishing they'd gone with the 2 1/2" over the 2" or vice versa?

Thanks for the input and congrats again Aaron on a great write-up.

Old 01-23-2006, 07:07 PM
If you want your truck level go with the 2.5, the 2" will leave just a little bit of rake. My 2" kit on a s-crew gave ~ 2-5/16" lift and about 1/2" rake remaining.

Old 01-23-2006, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by Texas F-150
Wow, Aaron all I can say is very well done. If I didn't know better I'd swear I was reading that straight out of an offroad publication. And the pics were awesome.

Some now question time. I've ready to order my autospring, but I'm debating the difference between the 2" and the 2 1/2". Wondering if that 1/2" is worth it, or has any drawbacks compared to the 2". I wouldn't think that there would be much difference in the two units, but does anyone have anything bad to say about either one? ie. wishing they'd gone with the 2 1/2" over the 2" or vice versa?

Thanks for the input and congrats again Aaron on a great write-up.
With 2 1/2 my front was 1/16 different than the rear. Thats close enough for me

Old 01-23-2006, 10:14 PM
looks good

Old 01-25-2006, 10:25 PM
Somebody should STICKY this thread!

Old 01-25-2006, 11:15 PM
My kit showed up today, now to get it installed. Was going to have a buddy do it at his garage, but looks like that is falling through. I'm confident I can do this myself outside in the cold, however my torque wrench is only a 150lb'er. That lower shock bolt is supposed to be torqued to 225 yikes!!! after a quick look around seems I gotta spend another $70 for a damn wrench I'll only use once. That on top of returning to my car tonight with another shattered window and 2 inches of snow inside. That's gonna run me about $150. Not been my day.

Old 01-25-2006, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio333
My kit showed up today, now to get it installed. Was going to have a buddy do it at his garage, but looks like that is falling through. I'm confident I can do this myself outside in the cold, however my torque wrench is only a 150lb'er. That lower shock bolt is supposed to be torqued to 225 yikes!!! after a quick look around seems I gotta spend another $70 for a damn wrench I'll only use once. That on top of returning to my car tonight with another shattered window and 2 inches of snow inside. That's gonna run me about $150. Not been my day.

Dont waste the money. Goto autozone and take adavantage of their loaner program. I went and got the 30mm socket and the torque wrench. It cost me $120 on my credit card. Took them back next day and they credit your account. The only have specialty tools (those that most people dont have). They don't loan out wrenches, jack stands, etc.

Old 01-26-2006, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the tip runnerbl, I was going to do that for the 30mm socket, but didn't think they'd have a torque wrench. I'll check the local store. Now I just need to line up some decent weather and I'll be set.

Old 01-26-2006, 11:39 PM
Well Aaron I just wanted to say thanks again. Got my kit in the mail today and had the job done in about 2 hours. Reading over your write-up a couple times before actually doing the install saved me some serious time. You should be commended for the energy and time put in to your post. Truck looks and rides great, and of course, pics will come with the first light.

Old 01-27-2006, 01:00 AM
Originally Posted by Aaron_j
I did my install today and took photos of the process. I figured that this might help some of you that are on the fence about doing this yourself.

*note that I may not follow the order that is listed in the Autospring instructions*

Step 1: Remove the tire. I don't have a photo of this because if you are unsure about how to remove a tire then you should abort the mission immediately.

Step 2: Remove the 30MM lower strut nut and the 15mm sway bar endlink nut. The instructions claim that you will need air tools to remove the 30mm nut. I found that
this was not true and as a matter of fact I even did it without the 30mm socket and ratchet because my ratchet gave up when I started the job. I wound up putting another wrench on the end of the 1-1/16" wrench for leverage and loosening the assembly that way.

Step 3 Remove the (3) 15mm upper strut nuts

Step 4: Remove the upper ball joint nut and hit where indicated with a hammer until it pops loose *note that I didn't completely remove the nut before breaking
the joint free so that is why I am using the pliers in the photo. I recommend that you completely remove the nut first*

Step 5: View with the upper ball joint disconnected.

Step 6: Now to remove the strut, you lift up on it, push the bottom of the strut toward the rear of the truck, push down, lift up on the upper control arm and pull the
strut out of the way.

Step 7: Install the Autospring spacer onto the strut.

Step 8: Wiggle the strut back into place and reinstall the upper strut nuts and the lower strut bolt and nut. Go ahead and tighten them. BTW,the nuts that came with my Autospring spacer were 17mm.

Step 9: Place a jack under the lower control arm and raise until you can push down on the upper control arm and fit it into place.

Step 10: Note that you do not need to raise the lower control arm too far, only enough so that you can push down on the upper control arm and fit the ball joint into place. I used the 1-1/16" wrench for leverage.

Step 11: Tighten the ball joint nut and sway bar end link nut. To keep the upper ball joint from spinning as you tighten the nut you just need to keep downward pressure on the upper control arm as shown in step 10.

Step 12: Replace the tire and repeat the process on the other side.

Step 13: Drink beer.

Photo of the Autospring spacer in its new home.

Before

After 2-1/2" Autospring spacer.

The after pic is blurry because it was getting dark outside. (enough to activate the automatic headlights, it just doesn't appear that way because I adjusted the photo in Photoshop)

Hey Aaronj,

You know the saying" no good deed goes un-noticed". Well you did such a fabulous job with the installation instructions and hence helped my business out and numerous other brother F-150 owners. I would like to buy you a bunch of step 13's. E-mail me ASAP or call me (1-800-345-0431). I would like to give the money back you spent on our kit in appreciation for your awesome write up.

Aaronj, it's members like you that make this owners Forum so helpful and informative. Keep up the good work. FORDS RULE (keep driving them so 30,000 Americans can continue feeding their families)

Kevin (owner)
Auto Spring Corp
Boise, Idaho

Old 01-27-2006, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by AutoSpring
Hey Aaronj,

You know the saying" no good deed goes un-noticed". Well you did such a fabulous job with the installation instructions and hence helped my business out and numerous other brother F-150 owners. I would like to buy you a bunch of step 13's. E-mail me ASAP or call me (1-800-345-0431). I would like to give the money back you spent on our kit in appreciation for your awesome write up.

Aaronj, it's members like you that make this owners Forum so helpful and informative. Keep up the good work. FORDS RULE (keep driving them so 30,000 Americans can continue feeding their families)

Kevin (owner)
Auto Spring Corp
Boise, Idaho
Wow - that rocks!!

Old 01-27-2006, 03:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Hey Aaronj,

Kevin (owner)
Auto Spring Corp
Boise, Idaho

Wow.

Old 01-27-2006, 06:50 PM
Hey Aaronj,

Kevin (owner)
Auto Spring Corp
Boise, Idaho
I think Aaron did a great thing too...I also think that you ripped me off. My spindle hits my coilspring every time my front end drops off a speed bump. I hear the "new style" kits with the offset fix this problem, but what about those of us who paid $100 for the old style. I will be removing my Autopspring as soon as my truck needs to be aligned again to install either a Daystar or the Rancho adjustable shocks. I appreciate Aaron writing this up so that it makes it easy to remove my Autospring when that time comes. If it wasn't another $50 for an alignment, I'd already have it off my truck.

Old 02-08-2006, 09:11 PM
Talking autosprings

i will be ordering my set of these next week! what an awesome company!

Quick Reply: Autospring install with photos