Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

Autospring install with photos

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 01:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aaron....Thanks again for the pictures. Your post will help many people on here with their install just as it helped me. I couldn't wait till tomorrow.

Took my laptop outside since I have wireless internet. Followed your instructions exactly. First side was done in 1 1/2 hours. Only problem I had was with the ball joint spinning as I as trying to tighten the nut. I just jacked the lower control arm up enough to where it put stress (if you will) on the ball joint bolt and it tighten right up. Was able to torque it to 90 ft lbs. Other side took me about 40 minutes. The slowest part of the process was taking the nuts off the strut. Everything else went quick. I am a little concerned about the lower control arm bolt. Wasn't able to get it tightened to 250 ft lbs.

Anyways...thanks again. Will get pics as soon as I can.

Brian

Old 01-22-2006, 01:23 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio333
I just replaced my front sway bar bushings yesterday and did the same thing. I thought by loosening the 18mm nut the whole thing would come off. After it loosened it just spun. I think the trick to get that nut off is to use an open end wrench on the 18mm nut and a ratchet to hold the very end of the bolt which maybe a 8mm. After screwing around long enough, I went ahead just removed the 15mm nut at the top. You may need to use an open end 15mm wrench on the black part of the upright to keep it from spinning.

Aaron_j, if I ever cross your path the drinks are on me for that write up. Waiting for my Autospring to arrive. Taking it to a buddy's shop to install with a copy of your write up and pics. Many thanks!!!
Why did you have to replace the bushings?

Old 01-22-2006, 01:27 AM
Awesome write-up. I always get so anxious about doing this kind of job, I jump into it without thinking about taking pictures. By the time I think about it, I'm ten steps into the job. You really should be commended for an awesome job of writing that job up.

Old 01-22-2006, 01:39 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by runnerbl
I am a little concerned about the lower control arm bolt. Wasn't able to get it tightened to 250 ft lbs.

Anyways...thanks again. Will get pics as soon as I can.

Brian
Don't worry too much about that bolt. The reason is has to be so tight is because, if loose, it will allow the strut assembly to move a little relative to the lower control arm over rough ground. This will create a clunking or knocking noise. It really isn't a safety issue. (unless you allow the problem to persist for 100,000 miles until the bolt wears a slot into the control arm)

You're welcome btw.

Old 01-22-2006, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by scorpio333
Aaron_j, if I ever cross your path the drinks are on me for that write up. Waiting for my Autospring to arrive. Taking it to a buddy's shop to install with a copy of your write up and pics. Many thanks!!!
Awesome!

*checks Mapquest to see how far it is to Pittsburgh*

Darn it.

Old 01-22-2006, 03:11 AM
Why did you have to replace the bushings?
Because the OEM's are rubber. Didn't really "have to" (only 4200 miles), but I added a rear sway bar last week and figured I'd replace the front bushings with poly's to match the front with the rear. Adding the rear bar kind of left the front a feeling a little loose, the poly bushings tightened the front up and truck handles much, much better, I'm extremely pleased with it.

Old 01-22-2006, 03:54 AM
Good job on the photos, etc

Old 01-22-2006, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by freekyFX4
Awesome write-up. I always get so anxious about doing this kind of job, I jump into it without thinking about taking pictures. By the time I think about it, I'm ten steps into the job. You really should be commended for an awesome job of writing that job up.
If you had taken the pics they would be fit for the cover of a magazine.

Old 01-22-2006, 07:12 PM
2.5" Autospring installed

Before

After

Went to pepboys and got an alignment. Cost $35 after rebate for 4 wheel computerized alignment. Talked young girl at register into 10% discount since they wouldn't pricematch store across street and give rebate also. What do the numbers on the printout sheet mean.

If tow number is negative before alignment, does that mean was towed in or towed out?

Thanks,

Brian

Old 01-22-2006, 07:38 PM

2.5" Autospring installed

Went to pepboys and got an alignment. Cost $35 after rebate for 4 wheel computerized alignment. Talked young girl at register into 10% discount since they wouldn't pricematch store across street and give rebate also. What do the numbers on the printout sheet mean.

If tow number is negative before alignment, does that mean was towed in or towed out?

Thanks,

Brian
Negative means toe out.

Stand up and look down at your feet. Almost every person on this planet has feet that are farther apart at the toes than the heels. This is negative toe.

Put your feet together at the toes and move your heels away from each other. This would be positive toe.

/ \ <Toe in (positive)

\ / <Toe out (negative)

Your truck looks nice btw.

Old 01-22-2006, 08:22 PM
Great write-up, you deserve another Step 13

Old 01-22-2006, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by Aaron_j
If you had taken the pics they would be fit for the cover of a magazine.
Thanks...but I wouldn't be able to post them on this message board! Again, great job. That will really help a lot of people. Such unselfish acts should be rewarded...have another step 13 on me!

Old 01-22-2006, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by Aaron_j
Negative means toe out.

Stand up and look down at your feet. Almost every person on this planet has feet that are farther apart at the toes than the heels. This is negative toe.

Put your feet together at the toes and move your heels away from each other. This would be positive toe.

/ \ <Toe in (positive)

\ / <Toe out (negative)

Your truck looks nice btw.
Just looked at the printout. The numbers were positive. I was just going on what the guy said. Makes me wonder if he knows what the hell he was doing. He never adjusted any of the camber since it was within specs.

Here is what my numbers were.

Toe before
Left Front Right Front
.70 .27

Toe After
Left Front Right Front
.04 .02

Thanks for the compliment on the truck

Old 01-22-2006, 09:57 PM

I thought the instructions said after install the alignment will be towed in. Mine was towed out. I wonder if I did something wrong.
They do say that, and it should have been toed in but you couldn't have done anything make it toed out. Either the alignment tech made an error and the printout is wrong or your truck already had a lot of toe out before you did the install.

Old 01-23-2006, 12:19 AM
And my Autospring is in the mail as we speak (type)... Now I feel a whole lot better about trying to do this.

Quick Reply: Autospring install with photos